Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E semi-locked up torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E semi-locked up torque converter

Hey guys! I finally got my LS6/4L60E wired up and running in my Datsun 280Z. The entire drivetrain (motor, trans, PCM, stock harness, etc.) came out of an '02 Camaro with only 28k miles on it. I got the setup about 9 years ago and had been sitting in the car most of that time. I got it started and runs fine (just needs some tuning), but when I put the car into drive, it lurks forward like the torque converter is not totally locked up (as it isn't stalling the motor), but takes a ton of brake pressure to keep it from moving forward.

I wired up the TCC wire via a relay as recommended and even with the brake pedal cutting power to the TCC (purple wire, pcm 33), it doesn't make any difference. I even just took the purple TCC wire off the relay, so it wasn't connected to anything to ensure it has not power....no change. I would assume with no power going to that wire, it should not lock up, but require power to lock it up, correct?

Is it possible that the transmission sat so long that the valve or solenoid is bad or stuck? Will running & driving the car to get some heat into the whole setup possible free it up? I have yet to take it for a "first drive", so I thought I'd see if any of you have had similar experiences from a engine/trans that has sat for that length of time. There are no codes, either. Your input is appreciated.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The TCC shouldn't have anything to do with it. How high is the idle? If it's not stalling the motor I would try and drive it to see how it feels. Are the brakes worth a ****? Maybe they just aren't working well. You will feel some tension since that converter is for a much heavier car then what you've got it in.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate your input and you may be onto something on several counts. It's good to know that the TCC doesn't function quite the way I imagined.

1) The idle is at 700-800 rpm, so not unusually high.

2) You are correct that with my vehicle being about 1,000 pounds lighter, that would certainly make it feel more extreme since it doesn't take as much effort to move the car and I'm running 3.70 gears, so that will also give it more "pull" when it engages.

3) I had the PCM flashed years ago and has a "performance tune" for the transmission, so it may also be adding more of an aggressive feel than stock.

4) I have big 12.2" Wilwood brakes with 4 piston calipers on the front & rear, but they are new and have not been "bedded in", so the lack of bite would also make it seem like it's hard to keep from moving.

I'll go ahead and drive it a bit, get the brakes bedded in and may have to dial back the transmission settings when we get the car on the dyno to do some tuning. I had a chat with a friend who drives and races several LS powered cars said the factory PCM will also "learn" quite a bit, which may also help with driveability once I have more miles on the car. Thanks again!!

Quick Reply: 4L60E semi-locked up torque converter