Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Mustang L96 6L90E conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same engine and transmission. What do you plan to do with that top vent line on the transmission (see red arrow on your pic)? Or what I think is a vent line? The transmission cooler lines are the two ports further down, right? I have the same port and black lines on my transmission but I am not sure what they are...
Attached Thumbnails 68 Mustang L96 6L90E conversion-transmission.png  
Old 11-08-2017, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question, I hadn't really gotten that far on the plumbing side of things. The bent tube with the red arrow is the vent line like you said. Most old transmissions their just left open... I may run a hose somewhere on the firewall with a diffusor so I can see if its foaming up.
I think your right about the 2 lower lines. At this point my trans is 4 inches from the floor and surrounded by trans tunnel... (embarrassed to say I'm the owner of a very small garage) almost no space to work on it in the garage... I have to roll it out to get under it...
Life and bad weather are conspiring to slow the install of the trans/motor combo but I am determined to have it seated in 2 engine and 1 trans mount before X-mas...
Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Teching In

You and I are in the same boat then! I've arranged for a friend to come around on December 2nd, so that I'm forced to at least pull the old 350 and trans out. If that goes quickly (wishful thinking), we may try to drop the LS engine in there the same day. I need to go through and label all the wires ahead of time though so that when he arrives it's just a case of draining fluid, unbolting body panels and components, and then lifting.

Have you found any good links on how to lift the LS engine and transmission together? How did you do it? I had a look last night and there are thread holes on the heads, front and back, which I'm assuming I can bolt up to.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Teching In

I wish you the best on the removal and reinstall... removal, if you have spare time to drop the fluids before then, should be smooth and straight forward... I am guessing you have the swap mounts for you vehicle...? If so you should be straight. As for lifting...yes I used the holes in the front and back of the head... I made sure my brackets were tight as to not crack the head I also used a strap to balance the load of the transmission. Though it was made easier using my father-in-laws engine load leveler. (its about 40 bucks) needed longer chains though.
What are you doing to the combo? I am going in nearly (swapped cast iron header w/ a different set) bone stock with only a tune (mandatory) afterwards.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:20 PM
Teching In

By the way PhilistineAU, what year Olds and what model?
Old 11-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Hi,

Yes, swap engine and transmission mounts are from Tejas Steelworks. The truck is a 1985 Chevy C10 pickup. I wish I had an Oldsmobile. If I did have an Oldsmobile, it would be a mid 1950s Oldsmobile 88. Sadly, I do not. I have a leveler on my engine hoist (crane?), so hopefully extraction and putting the LS in will be relatively straight forward. I will definitely drop all the fluids out before hand. So far, the plan is to keep the L96 pretty stock. I'd like to run one of the Texas Speed VVT1.2 cams with springs, but I'm not going to mess with it until I have it in and running. I'm giving myself 6 months to have it back on the road. The weather in Houston isn't much fun when it gets to the summer months.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 11-12-2017, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Sorry, assumed you had an Olds... removing an Olds motor... lol. I know with a good tune you should get 400hp and 410trq on a stick set up... that’s at the flywheel, on premium fuel. With a set of springs, cam and a turbo skies the limit... but I am only looking for 400-450hp... steetable and safe. 6 months... nice post some picks or progress. Would love to see it... mine has stalled a bit... time/ space/ money... no room in my garage for winter work... but like I said, I will have a trans mount and engine mounts fully installed before winter...😁 it’s a must.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Well, it's spring again and I am able to pull the car back out for work... got some parts and time so I installed a new rad w/ electric fan kit, a new Holley EFI sniper tank system ( not trying to plug, just what I got) and a new master cyl. w/ brake booster Disc/disc set up. I will post some pics and redo my google docs picture post...I also cut the front coil springs to get the proper ride height. (oddly the fine print on the web site said I would need to... and I was wondering why with 2" drop spindles is would be 6" above the tires) should get pics up this week. Hope everyone has a productive spring/summer. More to come...
Old 04-30-2019, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_then_Ideal
Well, it's spring again and I am able to pull the car back out for work... got some parts and time so I installed a new rad w/ electric fan kit, a new Holley EFI sniper tank system ( not trying to plug, just what I got) and a new master cyl. w/ brake booster Disc/disc set up. I will post some pics and redo my google docs picture post...I also cut the front coil springs to get the proper ride height. (oddly the fine print on the web site said I would need to... and I was wondering why with 2" drop spindles is would be 6" above the tires) should get pics up this week. Hope everyone has a productive spring/summer. More to come...
Been a while. Looking forward to updates!

Andrew

Quick Reply: 68 Mustang L96 6L90E conversion