Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best LS EFI Standalone System?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best LS EFI Standalone System?

My next project will need a complete system for either an LS3 or LS7. I've been considering the MSD Atomic LS system but I would like to see the other options out there and hear experiences from them. I know Holly has a system along with FAST and FiTech. Anyone want to share their experiences?
Old 08-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

holley dominator
Old 08-27-2017, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

I use the Holley Dominator on my Cougar. It can pretty much be configured to do what you want. Built in support for DBW (1 or 2 TBs), auto trans, boost control, nitrous control, water/meth control, binary or PWM cooling fan control, individual fuel and spark trim, the list goes on and on...

Andrew
Old 08-28-2017, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 751 Likes on 407 Posts

I ll be running the Holley Dominator on my build. Its expensive, but is an All in One unit with endless possibilities. I ve not read yet where anyone using it has regretted buying it...
Old 08-28-2017, 05:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Holley kit. Do you have to use there injectors and coils

can you get base kit and keep addin on
Old 08-28-2017, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, the Holley is the top option but the pricing (around $3k+) when I priced it out was a little over budget. The MSD Atomic LS system is only $1900. Currently, I am just looking to run a larger cam, e85 and will have everything on switches (fans, fuel pump, etc.). I was also considering running a Racepak digital dash which will work with either.

I do like that the dominator would compensate for any change I throw at it in the future.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

In for info.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

The fitech unit looks like a nice setup just waiting for some more reviews.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

megasquirt 3 or holley efi , but what transmission you going to run?

you could be fine and way under budget with a stock ecu tuned for the cam if you have the pedal, tac module etc... Stock ecu good to plenty of hp for a street car
Old 08-28-2017, 12:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Depends on what throttle and trans you want to run but Holley EFI HP does just about everything I want for a lot cheaper then the Dominator.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Suncc49
megasquirt 3 or holley efi , but what transmission you going to run?

you could be fine and way under budget with a stock ecu tuned for the cam if you have the pedal, tac module etc... Stock ecu good to plenty of hp for a street car
Would fueling be an issue with the stock ECM? Like could I run any fuel pump I want in the fuel cell or would I run into issues?
Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by my bandit
Would fueling be an issue with the stock ECM? Like could I run any fuel pump I want in the fuel cell or would I run into issues?
Stock ECUs are quite capable but require tuning software and a competent tuner. I've talked to way too many people that had their car "tuned" by an "expert" and it was crap. Also, HP Tuners is not the most intuitive piece of software so the learning curve is quite steep if you choose to tune yourself (its also not cheap). You would also want to buy a wideband O2 sensor for logging and making changes to the stock programming.

The benefit with a system like Holley is that tuning can be done in real time. With stock tuning it is a constant datalog, review, make changes, load file, since repeat cycle. The Holley also has a pretty good self-tuning algorithm for the base fuel map, which can get you up and running pretty quick. There are a host of other parameters to tune, but the base fueling is pretty straight forward. The Holley also includes a wideband O2 and all future software upgrades are free and available for download on the Holley support website.

There is also a very good support forum:

forums.holley.com

Andrew
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Another Vote for the Holley Dominator, Yes it's expensive but it will also do just about anything you want it to do. I also bought the 7" Holley Dash again it's expensive but by the time you figure out the cost of aftermarket gauges and the fact that it's fully customizable and you can tune from it...it was worth it to me.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Another Vote for the Holley Dominator, Yes it's expensive but it will also do just about anything you want it to do. I also bought the 7" Holley Dash again it's expensive but by the time you figure out the cost of aftermarket gauges and the fact that it's fully customizable and you can tune from it...it was worth it to me.
I have the dash as well, and to be clear, the tuning on it is nowhere near what can be done with the full software on a laptop. Many things can be changed, but a lot can not. Some of the tuning on the dash is also annoying. For instance, on the laptop, when live with the ECU, you can see exactly where the engine is running on the base fuel map. In other words what RPM and kPa. On the dash, you can't see that. So for instance, if you want make changes to the idle fuel, you have to remember what RPM and kPa values the engine idles at, and change those on the dash. I think future software updates are going to change this...

Andrew
Old 08-28-2017, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you need to go cheap, go Megasquirt. I'm pretty sure they'll do everything a dominator will at 1/3 the price. Support seems good too...
Old 08-29-2017, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by S10xGN
If you need to go cheap, go Megasquirt. I'm pretty sure they'll do everything a dominator will at 1/3 the price. Support seems good too...
Not even close, Holley Terminator from Tickwholesale is $2311.00 and comes with a 3.5" lcd screen and trans control Terminator uses the Dominator ECU and come complete with everything needed including 02 sensor.
Hook it up to a laptop and it will do everything you can do with the regular Dominator ECU because that's what it is. The terminator is just a prepackaged setup for ease of use.

"Terminator LS MPFI Kit"

GM LS1/LS6 Engines with 24x crank reluctor - with TRANSMISSION CONTROL, No Laptop Required, 3.5" Touchscreen Included

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p.../parts/550-609
Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default ECU-882C + AIM MXS Strada Dash "street"

Hi Bandit, I manufacture the ECU-882C-1-TTL for use on LS-x engines.
My customers are Classic Street, Dune Buggies, BAJA Cars, Drag Cars, etc.
I have done this for almost 20 years on LS engines.
I have articles, the FIRST LS-1 with 600 HP. (street cam/street compression/347 CID)
I have customers, Robbie Shaw (A/SA), winning NHRA Division 6 National Champion.

My ECU-882C has features such as "on-board" MAP and BARO sensors that are required for races/street/cross country that have major elevation changes.

I too use a Dash, the AIM MXS Strada "street", for you concern.

Would you like more information ?

Lance
Old 08-29-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Not even close, Holley Terminator from Tickwholesale is $2311.00 and comes with a 3.5" lcd screen and trans control Terminator uses the Dominator ECU and come complete with everything needed including 02 sensor.
Hook it up to a laptop and it will do everything you can do with the regular Dominator ECU because that's what it is. The terminator is just a prepackaged setup for ease of use.

"Terminator LS MPFI Kit"

GM LS1/LS6 Engines with 24x crank reluctor - with TRANSMISSION CONTROL, No Laptop Required, 3.5" Touchscreen Included

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p.../parts/550-609
I've been trying to find the exact differences between the Terminator and the Dominator. I know the Dominator is a kit that you need to piece together yourself but I have not found a definitive list of the differences between the two.

I was trying to determine the difference between these two actually. One is DBW and $800+ more but is the DBW really an $800 add on?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-610
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-611

Edit: Found it, One runs the HP and one runs the Dominator. I guess I need to determine which fits my needs and if I want to run a DBW (I don't want to change the pedal assembly)

Last edited by my bandit; 08-29-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by my bandit
I've been trying to find the exact differences between the Terminator and the Dominator.
There really isn't a difference except one is kit form that's already calibrated for an LS1 (No computer needed) Other than that they are the same thing, The ECU that comes with the terminator is a Dominator ECU that is preloaded with the tune needed for the application they list, You can still load your own tune from a laptop. I didn't look at all the prices. Let me know the part number you're interested in and I will tell you what the price is at Tickwholesale (you have to be a member to see the lower price) Ticks membership is very cheap and will save you hundreds on Holley products and others.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

The Dominator has a lot more inputs and outputs and controls trans and DBW. If you plan on doing any power adders then spend the extra money and get the Terminator kit with the Dominator ECU.

Quick Reply: Best LS EFI Standalone System?