Sponsored by:

Saab 97X 5.3 to LQ9 swape

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 07:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Saab 97X 5.3 to LQ9 swape

Saab 97X 5.3 to LQ9 swape
I've been wanting a midsized V8 tow vehical to replace my conversion van for a few years there hard to find and expensive.

I pulled the trigger on the 97x same mechanicalley as trailblazer SWB it appears very nice.

the engine has cylinder #1 missfire. the seller has noted they swapped the spark plug and SP wire wasn't the solution.I will first pull spark plug inspeact then add a coil.if no joy

will pull valve cover I'm hopping to find a collasped lifter still in tack where I can simply replace.

I'm hopping a valve didn't break and fall down into engine.I payed for a V8 ready roller. so if the 152K 5.3LM7 isn't internalley damaged will continue w/ it.

plan is to find a used donor truck LQ9/7L70 trans, (or get lucky and find a 2500+ truck JY engine) dissassemble hoppefulley just hone and rering/new crank /cam bearings , street stripe cam good ARP rod bolts. and I've read the trailblazer ss has oil pump starvation issues solution is the reenginnered oil pickup tube is now pointed toward middle (deepest part of plan).
?1.can the orginale oil pickup tube be bent rather than being replaced?

trans will proballey get a TCI master rebuild kit (remember the vehical has 152K miles) w/ the 3 extra cluch packs/sun shell/corvette 2nd 3rd servos, external trans cooler (rad delete cooler) trans temp guage and possaible a larger vented trans pan.

?2.since this 2007 vehical came w/ a 5.3 LM7 it's computer requires a 58tooth crank reluckter wheel so donor engine will have to be minium 2007 or newer to be transplanted correct? or didn't some GTO have 58tooth crank reluckter wheel?

?2.will any size engine be a direct swap (electricalley and motor mounts locations) like if I'm able to find a donor GTO w/ LS2 it would be a plug and play correct? or a 6.2 found 2500 series vans/trucks?

this vehical runs drives and shifts good however
I'm having it delivered from about 400 miles away should recieve early next week.

I think GM made the rad core surport removeable to ease in engine removal
from top?

?3.this vehical has AWD I"ve read this complicates engine removal w/ axels though oil pan seams very complicated?
any tips on the swape
Attached Thumbnails Saab 97X 5.3 to LQ9 swape-13.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by badmfkr; 09-09-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

To answer some of your questions, I'm pressed sure the oil pickup tube can't be moved unless you did the c6 vette pan swap which moves the pickup to the rear of the pan. You won't be able to do this since this has

You'll be able to swap any motor in, just take the existing accessories, mounts, sensors and put them on the new motor and you'll be good to go.

Look on tbssowners.com for swap and motor removal how tos

Quick Reply: Saab 97X 5.3 to LQ9 swape