Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car stalling while driving help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car stalling while driving help

I have a 93 fd rx7with ls1/t56 has psi conv. harness got the car with fuel pump hot wired to the battery bc the guy I got it from said fuel pump stop working so he did that. Got it home after a lot of temps of trying to figure out what was wrong got it to start and run.

Took it for a test drive and seen my gauges going crazy in the dash and yes I have the speed hut conv. and it just died stalled out like you tuned the key off. took awhile of cranking it for it to start and mad it back home. I hook the fuel pump back up the right way and find out the pump was not turning on nor was it getting fire to the plugs so I decide to ground the PCM and bam the fuel pump turned on and she started.

Drove her around for a couple of day with no problems decide to check all grounds and found the one on the buck of cylinder head was loss tighten it up and my gauges stop all there crazy stuff and I removed the PCM ground I made. Went for a drive and bam stalled out again like three times sometimes I could turn the key off then back on bam she fired up while still going 70mph or sometimes I have to bump the starter when I'm in gear and moving when it dies and she fires back up.

Other times I have to pull over and wait a few mins then try it again turn the key on and off a bunch then bam she fires up this problem is really starting to drive me crazy I love this car and it my dream car but I'm to the point of selling it. I put a new TPS and crank sensor on it and check the MAP sensor and wiring harness I see nothing wrong with engine harness its throwing no codes.

I don't have MAS I'm speed dens. I since then have put 4 grounds off the engine to car. when she dose this the fuel pump stops working and I can tell when she going to start back up bc I can hear the fuel pump turn on and bam she fires right up perfect. its a brand new 255 fuel pump to.

Another problem I found is when you remove the metal cover to get to the fuel pump the top of my fuel pump holder is holding 12.8 volts. I disconnect the fuel leveling wires and that stop giving my fuel pump hanger 12 volts HAS ANYONE EVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT TO SELL THE CAR....

Sometimes I can drive it for a couple of day and it don't do this then other times it dose it 4 or 6 times while driving it.. if you need anymore info please ask I have tested almost everything on this car lol
Old 09-22-2017, 04:24 AM

wow thousands of people on this forum and not one answer or ?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 198 Likes on 144 Posts

It really sounds like you have a wiring problem, not something you can diagnose on the internet. You're going to have to thoroughly check the harness to see if something is loose or maybe a wire pinched or rubbed through, really hard to say.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,500 Posts

Besides wires themselves, check all ground connections. They all count!
Old 09-22-2017, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 468 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by FDls1t56

Took it for a test drive and seen my gauges going crazy in the dash and yes I have the speed hut conv. and it just died stalled out like you tuned the key off. took awhile of cranking it for it to start and mad it back home. I hook the fuel pump back up the right way and find out the pump was not turning on nor was it getting fire to the plugs so I decide to ground the PCM and bam the fuel pump turned on and she started.

Drove her around for a couple of day with no problems decide to check all grounds and found the one on the buck of cylinder head was loss tighten it up and my gauges stop all there crazy stuff and I removed the PCM ground I made.

Let's see - everything's acting up. You add a ground and fix another one. Then everything's working fine. Then you remove the ground you added ---- and everything starts acting up again. Hmmm......
Old 09-23-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Let's see - everything's acting up. You add a ground and fix another one. Then everything's working fine. Then you remove the ground you added ---- and everything starts acting up again. Hmmm......
i havnt removed any grounds just ran more grounds the ground problem is fix know im losing IGN it not the fuel pump or map sensor or crank sensor etc
Old 09-23-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 468 Likes on 352 Posts

Drove her around for a couple of day with no problems decide to check all grounds and found the one on the buck of cylinder head was loss tighten it up and my gauges stop all there crazy stuff and I removed the PCM ground I made. Went for a drive and bam stalled out again like three times
Sorry - I guess "...I removed the PCM ground I made." meant something different than I thought it meant. Hope you find solution - I know it's frustrating.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:37 PM

found the problem. It was a Crk sensor signal wire my exhaust burnt a hole throw my wire cover and made a needle hole in the wire. you had to really look for it because i over look it because it was so small cut the wire right there and seen that the wire was oxidize took it out and soldier and shrink wrap and bam no more problem.

Last edited by FDls1t56; 09-26-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

found the problem it was a Crk sensor signal wire my exhaust burnt a hole throw my wire cover and made a needle hole in the wire. you had to really look for it bc i over look it bc it was so small cut the wire right there and seen that the wire was oxidize took it out and soldier and shrink wrap i no peace and bam no more problem
Good catch. Electrical problems suck.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

found the problem it was a Crk sensor signal wire my exhaust burnt a hole throw my wire cover and made a needle hole in the wire. you had to really look for it bc i over look it bc it was so small cut the wire right there and seen that the wire was oxidize took it out and soldier and shrink wrap i no peace and bam no more problem
Great. Glad you found the issue. Thanks for posting with the resolution. Here's a translation for those who don't understand chicken-scratch:

Found the problem. It was a crank sensor signal wire. My exhaust burnt a hole through my wire cover and made a needle hole in the wire. You had to really look for it. I overlooked it because it was so small. I cut the wire right there and saw that the wire was oxidized. I took it out, soldered and shrink wrapped it. (i no peace and bam ???) No more problem.

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 09-25-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: car stalling while driving help