Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 VS 2JZ vs RB26DETT

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 VS 2JZ vs RB26DETT

Datsun 240z '72 swap. I find that it is easy to find swap kits for the RB(for the datsun), hard to find swap kits for the 2jz(for my make and model will most likely have to fab making it more expensive), and next to no complete swap kits for the LS1( will most likely have to fab + trans is very expensive). Will most likely rebuild the engine i choose as a precaution anyways. In terms of easy level RB seems better and less expensive but people say 27z and LS are better motors. I like the sound of the RB but people are saying oil system is bad and needs replacing immediately with nismo oiling system which is $1000 off the bat, and that the 2JZ has a belt problem. I have been on plenty of other forums and am so lost.. Please help...
Old 10-01-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jesus. Are you misinformed.

John's cars has had a complete LS1 swap kit for over a decade now. Has been used on 100's of Z cars, a swap can be done in a weekend.

http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm

There are several other LS kits now as well or you can do like I did and roll your own. Check out www.hybridz.org, BUT if you go in there asking such general questions you will be treated rudely. Read though some of the FAQs and stickies.

RB motor swap will run you over 10 grand easy. The toyota swap isn't very common and doesn't make a lot of sense given how stupid expensive sourcing a motor is. Shop wisely and an LS swap is possible for 1-2 grand.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 911 Posts

The first question that begs to be asked is what is the OPs level of experience with cars in general...

Andrew
Old 10-24-2017, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you have a question? Or are you just looking for confirmation that the RB series engines aren't complete pieces of garbage?

For RB or JZ engine tech you are in the wrong place buddy lol

Let me help point you in the right direction...
First put down the car magazines and start with the condition of your car. If the frame or floor pan are rusting, there's your project and you don't need to worry about engine swaps.

After you're done getting to know every square inch of the car its time to learn to drive it as is. Does everything work as is? What needs improvement and define for yourself what you want different. THEN start researching how to make it happen.

Quick Reply: LS1 VS 2JZ vs RB26DETT