Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First LS Swap in a Jeep - Won't Stay Running

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

the engine stays on if you continuously spray starter fluid?

anyways, i posted on your other thread @ pcm diagnostics with a better base file. Your current file has the maf disabled, and the speed density filtering disabled.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moekluse
There is definitely no issue with the crank position sensor if the pump comes on while cranking. You can also verify by checking to see if tach is registering any signal, as when my CKS went bad, I had no signal.

as far as cam position sensor, I believe that the computer uses it only on crank up, and then swaps over to the crank sensor. Correct me if I'm wrong
When I have my scanner plugged into the OBDII port and am looking at the live data, I'm getting RPMs during the start up cycle. If there is a lot of fuel in the cylinders then it revs as high as 1200-1500 during the start up process and you can watch this happen live.

At this point, I've tried everything that i know how to do. I don't have a copy of HP Tuners or the connectors to plug into my OBDII port so I've exhausted all of my knowledge and resources on this damn Jeep/motor. So much for the swap being fairly easy, plug and play. All the fab work was easy but this **** at the very end has me steaming mad and beyond frustrated at this point.

I'm loading the Jeep up a buddy's deck-over trailer tomorrow and dropping it off at the LS speed shop about 2 hours away and letting them figure it out. I've been defeated and this feeling sucks.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by subeone
the engine stays on if you continuously spray starter fluid?

anyways, i posted on your other thread @ pcm diagnostics with a better base file. Your current file has the maf disabled, and the speed density filtering disabled.
I don't have any way to upload the file... I have to take the Jeep and PCM to the tuner who's about 2 hours away.

Just getting the Jeep on 42's onto a trailer is going to be a challenge this weekend.... Oh What fun.

And yep, the engine stays running if you spray starting fluid into the intake after cranking it... I had it running for about 2 minutes this way last weekend.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Try this for ***** and grins, adjust your butterfly as far open as you can with the set screw and try it, it will probably run about 2k RPM's if it works.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93 coupe
Try this for ***** and grins, adjust your butterfly as far open as you can with the set screw and try it, it will probably run about 2k RPM's if it works.
I have a Nick Williams 102 mm DBW throttle body. Where is the set screw located on these?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Sorry, not familiar with that TB, when I seen it was a Gen 3 I assumed it was DBC.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

What's the purpose of the ECU/PCM controlling the fuel pump relay. I wanted to try to just wire up a relay to the ignition so that it comes on with the key and stays on constantly through the ON/CRANKING cycle and stays on afterwards to rule out something the PCM...

Any adverse effects by doing this or is it not recommended?
Old 10-19-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by michaelmaxim
What's the purpose of the ECU/PCM controlling the fuel pump relay. I wanted to try to just wire up a relay to the ignition so that it comes on with the key and stays on constantly through the ON/CRANKING cycle and stays on afterwards to rule out something the PCM...

Any adverse effects by doing this or is it not recommended?

I always figured its a safety thing as well saving the pump from running without the motor running
Old 10-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

I just bit the bullet and just bought HP Tuners Standard pack with 8 credits. I can't be driving my PCM 2 hours away every time I need something checked. Hopefully I can plug it in and see what's going on.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be a bit out there but have you double checked all sensor connectors that they are plugged in all the way and making good connections. On my LS3 swap into a 73 Z28 I had a bad crank sensor connector. Wouldn't start. Not the same as your problem just throwing it out there.

I've had a 98 Wrangler LS6 swap for almost 10 years and it's been great. Hope you get yours squared away.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

**** UPDATE****

SHE RUNS!!! Got it to run this evening after work! I re-grounded the PCM and took off an inline JEGS 60 PSI max fuel gauge that I had on the rail. Not sure which one was causing the issues but the fawker runs like a scolded dog now! Praise Jesus!!! Thanks for everyone's help. This was my first time at this kind of rodeo. 2 months of nights and weekends and all that work finally feels like it paid off.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

So how long did it take once you had all the parts to do the install? Just curious,, I'm starting down the path to the dark side with my YJ,, they have cookies..
Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
So how long did it take once you had all the parts to do the install? Just curious,, I'm starting down the path to the dark side with my YJ,, they have cookies..
I started this swap on August 6th and it's actually running today finally. So just over 2 months to completion and that consisted of of 2-3 weeknights after work and nearly every Saturday (12-14 hours per Sat) since. Occasionally a Sunday here and there when I had the free time.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

So I can get the motor to run but it's not even 300-400 RPM on the tach.

It's now throwing these codes...

P2761 Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Control Circuit Open

P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow
A Circuit High

P0753 Shift Solenoid A Electrical
P0758 Shift Solenoid B Electrical

Quick Reply: First LS Swap in a Jeep - Won't Stay Running