Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 06:07 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SwapStang
To answer my own question too after I posted that I looked up stock cobra tanks. It honestly looks like ford did the smartest thing and keep it simple and just modified the basket on the inside of the tank. The top of the hat looks identical to my gt and v6. So I'm assuming the fuel line was the same between all the cars too.
Yup, the only difference between the two is dual pump hanger and the stock baffle in the cobra tank.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Well guys i got the fuel lines finished.

Went to start the car. It starts up after cranking for a while, i have good oil pressure... But then it advanced timing to upwards of 50* and revs to 4k and stays there... I cant figure it out for the life of me. All vacuum ports are blocked off, tb is closed.

Also i am having some issues with my ECT. IT shows -37 then jumps to 283 when starting and goes back and forth while rev at 4k. I tried a new sensor and wiring a new wire directly to the ecu and still nothing. I tried wiring a new ground, nothing.

Im starting to get down about it to the point im about to say **** it and send it somewhere. I cant for the life of me figure out what it is. I am also pulling a Pending/Current Cam position sensor error P0342.

I have the log file so if anyone wants it and can help me please do!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Here is the links for both the log file and tune...
Log File
Tune File
Old 03-19-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

What year pcm do you have? and did you rework the harness yourself? I'd double check all your grounds and get the ect sensor sorted first. Maybe the pcm is trying to compensate from the wacky reading. Congrats on getting it running I'm sure this won't be too bad to sort out. Also maybe try another pcm that is known to be good.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Launching!

What year pcm do you have? and did you rework the harness yourself? I'd double check all your grounds and get the ect sensor sorted first. Maybe the pcm is trying to compensate from the wacky reading. Congrats on getting it running I'm sure this won't be too bad to sort out. Also maybe try another pcm that is known to be good.
I believe that the PCM is a 2001 0411. I did the harness myself, the only thing i could think of is the grounds i have collected into one wire. I am going to cut and rewire the engine side to a separate ground then the ecu side.

A lot of signs point to the intake gaskets leaking, which i did confirm last night when i pulled the intake off. I have new intake and throttle body gaskets to go in.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Burning
I believe that the PCM is a 2001 0411. I did the harness myself, the only thing i could think of is the grounds i have collected into one wire. I am going to cut and rewire the engine side to a separate ground then the ecu side.

A lot of signs point to the intake gaskets leaking, which i did confirm last night when i pulled the intake off. I have new intake and throttle body gaskets to go in.

Sounds like a good place to start. What about the coolant temp sensor? Get that sorted out? Should definitely read ambient temperature with just key on. I checked a bunch of sensors keyed on before I started mine for the first time to verify grounds and what not. IAT, TPS, ECT all good sensors to verify. I know this is all pretty run of the mill stuff I'm very hands on I feel useless without being there haha. Sorry. I also looked at your logfile quick I never saw the timing advance go over 38. That seemed normal. I dunno maybe I missed something. I doubt its tune related probably wiring related.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Sounds like a good place to start. What about the coolant temp sensor? Get that sorted out? Should definitely read ambient temperature with just key on. I checked a bunch of sensors keyed on before I started mine for the first time to verify grounds and what not. IAT, TPS, ECT all good sensors to verify. I know this is all pretty run of the mill stuff I'm very hands on I feel useless without being there haha. Sorry. I also looked at your logfile quick I never saw the timing advance go over 38. That seemed normal. I dunno maybe I missed something. I doubt its tune related probably wiring related.
I have a log file on my computer where the timing advance peaked at 58 lol. The ECT im hoping is ground related, it is the only thing that is not working correctly. I am going to try another sensor and pigtail and see if anything changes if that doesn't work.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Well i finally figured out what was happening after battleing with the damn thing for a couple of days. I somehow managed to swap pins in the blue connector for 73 and 74. Explained why the Cam Position and ECT were messing up.

Swapped them over and it fired right up and idled perfectly. Gonna button up a few items and post a video.

Gonna rewire my fuse block to a bigger one that will control my gauges,fans, dual pumps ect. Should be able to let her stretch her legs by this weekend.

EH! The Hell with it, here is a teaser. Just had it idling for logging purposes.

Last edited by Burning; 03-29-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

Well i finally figured out what was happening after battleing with the damn thing for a couple of days. I somehow managed to swap pins in the blue connector for 73 and 74. Explained why the Cam Position and ECT were messing up.

Swapped them over and it fired right up and idled perfectly. Gonna button up a few items and post a video.

Gonna rewire my fuse block to a bigger one that will control my gauges,fans, dual pumps ect. Should be able to let her stretch her legs by this weekend.

EH! The Hell with it, here is a teaser. Just had it idling for logging purposes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCDpb70VTrk

Good news! Glad you figured it out there's nothing worse than electrical gremlins. I forget but what were you doing for power steering?
Old 04-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly I am late to the party. Made an account just for this thread lol. I have been slowly working on my swap for about a year and a half now which makes me envy your determination and quick turn around lol. Iv got an 02 GT car with a 5.3 turbo T56 swap. To add some input on the topics covered in this thread;

For the clutch set up, you can use the factory pedal assembly and use a tilton master cylinder. They have mini ones as well. I drilled out a hole on the bottom right corner just below the brake booster (firewall side) and i used a small threaded eyelet on the master cylinder and there is actually a hole already in the pedal arm thats in a good position to allow the pedal to push in a master cylinder. The tilton master was only like 98$ from jegs.

I am starting to get worried about my fuel set up after reading this thread as well. I always read everywhere that a vette regulator is perfect for the "sloppy" boost set up. Wix makes a universal vette regulator that comes with AN fittings for like 40$. Now im thinking I need to grab a cheap aeromotive regulator. I also planned on using the factory GT tank. I have a single Walbro 450 that I got shoved in the factory hat. I just got my fuel rails in from summit if you are looking for some as well. They have a closeout on Holley sniper rails. Billit rails with AN line fittings and the ability to run either return style or returnless for 78$.

For gauge questions, iv got an entire file I can send anyone thats interested on links and documents iv collected about making stock gauges work. I wanted to keep my stock gauges because of the low millage but its quite the task to make them all work. Plus I completly ditched the factory PCM so i couldnt keep it. I swapped to the 98 cobra cluster. Non-CANBUS!!! plus rolly wheel odometer!

just my quick 2 cents.

Awesome build and im so glad to see another T56 new edge car. You need to join the LS Mustangs facebook page. Tons of info there.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LowPony
Sadly I am late to the party. Made an account just for this thread lol. I have been slowly working on my swap for about a year and a half now which makes me envy your determination and quick turn around lol. Iv got an 02 GT car with a 5.3 turbo T56 swap. To add some input on the topics covered in this thread;

For the clutch set up, you can use the factory pedal assembly and use a tilton master cylinder. They have mini ones as well. I drilled out a hole on the bottom right corner just below the brake booster (firewall side) and i used a small threaded eyelet on the master cylinder and there is actually a hole already in the pedal arm thats in a good position to allow the pedal to push in a master cylinder. The tilton master was only like 98$ from jegs.

I am starting to get worried about my fuel set up after reading this thread as well. I always read everywhere that a vette regulator is perfect for the "sloppy" boost set up. Wix makes a universal vette regulator that comes with AN fittings for like 40$. Now im thinking I need to grab a cheap aeromotive regulator. I also planned on using the factory GT tank. I have a single Walbro 450 that I got shoved in the factory hat. I just got my fuel rails in from summit if you are looking for some as well. They have a closeout on Holley sniper rails. Billit rails with AN line fittings and the ability to run either return style or returnless for 78$.

For gauge questions, iv got an entire file I can send anyone thats interested on links and documents iv collected about making stock gauges work. I wanted to keep my stock gauges because of the low millage but its quite the task to make them all work. Plus I completly ditched the factory PCM so i couldnt keep it. I swapped to the 98 cobra cluster. Non-CANBUS!!! plus rolly wheel odometer!

just my quick 2 cents.

Awesome build and im so glad to see another T56 new edge car. You need to join the LS Mustangs facebook page. Tons of info there.

Why are you worried about your fuel system? I have a single wally 450 in my tank with the corvette regulator into my stock ls2 fuel rails and decapped injectors. I used the stock 5/16 line and the stock fuel hat to return it. My pressure is a little high around 65 I think the walbro might be over powering the vette regulator a little bit but I haven't had any issues car runs awesome. The only thing to mention is I had trouble fitting the pump in the stock fuel basket so mine is actually on the side of that. Fuel slosh at 1/4 ish tank makes the car starve on corners so I just have to keep it fuller than that.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:49 AM
Launching!

just my quick 2 cents.

Lol its had its moments, and i definitely wish i was farther along. You know how it goes with when you figure one thing out 10 more things fall in line behind it. I Look forward to a build thread of yours.

Do you have pictures of that setup for the pedals and clutch master? I finally found out through talking to McLeod tech that my master is defective so i had to send it back for a new one.

I would not be worried about your fuel setup, I am currently using a cobra tank with stock pumps. -8AN feed, -6AN Return with a corvette regulator in the stock position. The only reason i went to a cobra tank is because we have some really cool curvy mountain areas in KY and i dont want to be worried about leaning out if i come to a curve on a 1/4 tank. I still have my Aeromotive FPR but i will not use that till i go big turbo this winter and swap the stock pumps for a triple pump fore fuel hat. At that point i will be upgrading to a -10AN and use my current -8AN feed to return. FWIW I drilled a bulkhead fitting into the cobra tank right in front of the hat, i'll take some pictures.

I have actually ditched the idea of keeping the stock gauges, and went to a full Autometer Cobalt Set. I don't really care about keeping all the mileage and that nonsense. Plus i pretty much got every single gauge i needed for around 320 bucks practically new. RobbyD and myself split some of the deals i have found on them so things i dont need he can use.

If you havent already i highly suggest the MGW shifter. That thing is a beast, and make sure you order it at the 12 o' Clock position as it will hit the shifter bezel if you order it at the stock position. Ask me how i know lol.

Why are you worried about your fuel system? I have a single wally 450 in my tank with the corvette regulator into my stock ls2 fuel rails and decapped injectors. I used the stock 5/16 line and the stock fuel hat to return it. My pressure is a little high around 65 I think the walbro might be over powering the vette regulator a little bit but I haven't had any issues car runs awesome. The only thing to mention is I had trouble fitting the pump in the stock fuel basket so mine is actually on the side of that. Fuel slosh at 1/4 ish tank makes the car starve on corners so I just have to keep it fuller than that.
You last statement is exactly why i went to a cobra tank lol. Internal stock baffle for the win. I originally had sumped my first tank and I didnt have really much experience welding so i didnt even notice that my gas wasnt covering the welds so it had pin hole galore. Got pissed when i kept welding pin holes and more would show up. Needless to say i threw it across the yard then proceeded to bring a cobra tank home the next day lol.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Teching In

I'm building mine specifically for road racing. (IRS swap and everything). So I might need to sump it while I still have the tank out. And yes MGW is the best I had one of their shifters on my tr3650 when this car still had a modular and I will be getting one for my t56 when the time comes. My t56 came with a b and m so I'll keep that until Iv got the car running good.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:44 AM
TECH Regular

You last statement is exactly why i went to a cobra tank lol. Internal stock baffle for the win. I originally had sumped my first tank and I didnt have really much experience welding so i didnt even notice that my gas wasnt covering the welds so it had pin hole galore. Got pissed when i kept welding pin holes and more would show up. Needless to say i threw it across the yard then proceeded to bring a cobra tank home the next day lol.

If I hadn't been so careless about putting my pump in I could've remedied most of the slosh issues. My pump is literally laying on its side lol. I just needed to get the car going before the snow. I was just trying to use what I had without spending a ton more money that was my goal. For a road course car I wouldn't have even considered it but for a daily it's not a big deal. I might take it and fix it if I ever see decent weather! Haha
Old 04-06-2018, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Everything has turned into over kill at this point on my car. I'm about to rip all my weatherpak bulkheads out to replace them with deutche connectors just because the weatherpaks are a pain to put on and take off plus the deutche connectors are way more compact. I feel like Iv been wiring this car forever.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:23 AM
Launching!

I'm building mine specifically for road racing. (IRS swap and everything). So I might need to sump it while I still have the tank out. And yes MGW is the best I had one of their shifters on my tr3650 when this car still had a modular and I will be getting one for my t56 when the time comes. My t56 came with a b and m so I'll keep that until Iv got the car running good.
If you are doing road racing, i would go ahead and spend the little extra cash and buy a cobra tank. Cannot beat the baffled tank, plus now you have a dual hat from the factory lol. Its plug and play.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build!!!
Old 04-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lsxnafox
Nice build!!!
Thanks man! Doesnt come close to yours! I am still keeping tabs on yours. I want a clean notch so bad.

A couple pictures of stuff im not sure i had from this month.

LowPony this is what the MGW will look like in stock configuration. I had to send mine back to get clocked into the 12 o clock position.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-photo-feb-25-6-54-46-pm-1-.jpg

Picked up a SLP LM1 catback that was barely used, im pairing it with a o/r h pipe. Should be enough to **** my neighbors off lol.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-photo-feb-27-2-24-44-pm-1-.jpg

Got the 04 Cobra tank installed with some quick fittings and a bulkhead return drilled in. When i go to the triple fore hat it will have a return port built in so i will just cap this one.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-photo-mar-13-6-19-14-pm.jpg

Stock driveshaft mated to the t56 slip yoke. I used a Moog 348 which utilized the t56 1310 to the stock mustang 1350.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-photo-mar-14-6-42-06-pm.jpg

While the car doesnt have the power steering on/to avoid damaging the power steering pump i am running this setup to keep the alternator charging and the waterpump on while car is idling.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-photo-mar-17-5-11-31-pm.jpg

Received this spoiler from the girlfriend. Sadly i had to send it back because it was damaged... i will get the new one shortly. I have always loved these saleen and cobra spoilers. I just cant justify spending 500 for a cobra lid.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-photo-mar-26-6-20-00-pm.jpg

Sneak peak at what the car will turn into this fall. I ordered a bunch of 12 x 12 samples. Deep Mattalic Blue, Deep Space, Crimson Red, Pearl. This was my favorite, i like the colorshift of the Deep Space. I will wrap the roof Semi gloss black.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-photo-mar-26-7-00-16-pm.jpg

Knocked out some turn downs so my o2's and my wideband would cooperate. Not pretty, but they dont leak. I have extra stainless steel flanges for the vibrant v bands for when i take the car to get the stainless exhaust fitted.
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-photo-mar-31-1-40-00-pm.jpg

Now with my wideband working correctly, i am idling super super rich. So bad im crying in the garage with fans on pushing air out lol. Need to mess around with HPtuners a little bit and see what i can do. Anyone have some good resources for newbies?
New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56-photo-mar-31-1-45-29-pm.jpg
Old 04-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks man yours is coming along nicely. Love the modified fuel pump hat

My buddy came over yesterday with my old car. Man I should of ls swapped this lol. Hell would freeze over....
Old 04-07-2018, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Lsxnafox
Thanks man yours is coming along nicely. Love the modified fuel pump hat

My buddy came over yesterday with my old car. Man I should of ls swapped this lol. Hell would freeze over....
I love the red fire . If I ever had the money I'd buy a red fire or a sonic blue cobra.

I'm already getting flak from the mustang pages I'm in on Facebook. There is one guy who bought a cobra roller and is doing a ls7 swap lmao. Definitely gonna turn some heads and leave them scratching them when he pops the hood haha.

Quick Reply: New Edge Mustang - Turbo LQ4/T56