Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 1st gen elusive clutch pedal pin size

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017 | 07:06 AM
Teching In

Default T56 1st gen elusive clutch pedal pin size

Hey guys,

So I'm doing your standard T56 swap into a 1st gen and I am most of the way through converting the clutch pedals over to accept the 4th gen clutch master cylinder.
I was bolting my heim joint to the shaft and upon doing so I took a moment to realize just how small (1/4") the bolt that connects the rod linkage to the pedals will be if I use a heim joint. Normally these pins are what, 3/8"? However I have been unable to find a heim rod that is 1/4-28 that accepts a bigger stud than .250.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like a 1/4" bold holding the clutch master rod to the pedals could only last so long at that size under pedal pressure. And I've done more thread and post searching than Lewis and Clark however I've been unable to come up with any recommendations for "pin" sizes. What are you all using for bolt sizes to attach the pedals to the master?

Thanks in advance.
-Kyle
Old 11-21-2017 | 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just used the stock 4th gen master by itself on my chevelle build. The bolt was probably 5/16's or 3/8's. I would think the .250 bolt would be fine as long as it's a grade 8. The hydraulic clutches really don't use much pedal force like the old school manual ones did.
Old 11-21-2017 | 11:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1964SS
I just used the stock 4th gen master by itself on my chevelle build. The bolt was probably 5/16's or 3/8's. I would think the .250 bolt would be fine as long as it's a grade 8. The hydraulic clutches really don't use much pedal force like the old school manual ones did.
Great looking build! I like that you went that route. Other than welding a bracket on, it seems like it would make servicing easier down the road. Not to mention the simplicity of it. I'm surprised more people hadn't done the same.
Just seems like it was heim joint or the high road from what I've gathered....Again I'm mainly going off pics but it sounds like those that do the heim joint use a 1/4-28 but from a visual standpoint is just looks like they're using bigger bolts, but I can't figure how.

I suppose it's just the working load I was concerned about. Or is it shear strength? I just think of the load exerted on that size of a bolt from depressing the clutch hundreds of times over. I've got a "mild" street/strip clutch.

Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2017 | 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man, I've been enjoying it for the last 5 years now.
Old 11-22-2017 | 07:46 AM
Teching In

http://lateral-g.net/tech_articles/ats_t56_install/

The above article helped ease my worries a little as well. ATS says to just use their 1/4" bolt as well.
From what I've gathered about American Powertrain's Hydramax system, it sounds as though they use a 1/4" bolt too.

This has really eased my mind about it. I just didn't want to imagine being at a stop light and the pedal pin break and engage the clutch....
If I need a new master this year, as I may since this thing got tossed around a bit while fabricating, I think I'll convert a 3/8 heim joint onto the GM rod.

But till then, if 1/4" is good enough for the big guys.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2017 | 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

It'll be fine...

Andrew

Quick Reply: T56 1st gen elusive clutch pedal pin size