Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyFargon
I thought that when I first saw it as well.. I thought they had screwed up but that's what the Eaton Truetrac looks like
Nope. No room for anything on that. It's a spool. TruTracs look a lot like a normal diff from the outside.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Nope. No room for anything on that. It's a spool. TruTracs look a lot like a normal diff from the outside.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...SABEgJdXPD_BwE
Old 10-11-2019, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, my bad, and I sincerely apologize! I guess I had never seen one with the ring gear installed, which kinda hides all the TrueTrac guts! LOL
Old 10-11-2019, 01:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Well, my bad, and I sincerely apologize! I guess I had never seen one with the ring gear installed, which kinda hides all the TrueTrac guts! LOL
No worries, its all good! Like I said, I was thrown off at first too
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BillyFargon
No worries, its all good! Like I said, I was thrown off at first too
I'm impressed that so strong a diff is made so compactly.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to see your build still chugging along. What rear brakes are those?
Old 10-17-2019, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Good to see your build still chugging along. What rear brakes are those?
Thanks! Heck yeah, I'm too neck deep in this car to turn back now! I feel like I'm entering a new phase with it to refine it and make it reliable and driver friendly.

I'm excited to see you install that supercharger!

I think the brakes are Ford explorer style if I remember right. Quick performance offers two versions and this one has the better e-brake setup.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you use for the intake, did that come as a kit? Looks great!
Old 10-18-2019, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IAGXP

What did you use for the intake, did that come as a kit? Looks great!
This is what I ended up with but I got everything from amazon.. just random parts pieced together.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

I think the brakes are Ford explorer style if I remember right. Quick performance offers two versions and this one has the better e-brake setup.
Ah yeah, I should've known. The Explorer brakes are pretty popular with the Mustang crowd.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Update time!

Here is what has been going on lately....

Recently removed the hotchkis 3" front lowering coils that I had additional spacers on and the FOX shocks...

And made the switch to QA1 single adjustable coils with a 450lb spring rate. These ride so much better!! So to keep the same height I have now I switched from a stock spindle to a 2" drop spindle. Then I adjusted the coils the rest of the way to match and now I have adjustment left in either direction and the ride is a ton better! No more creeking or weird noises up front!

Then I was cruising Craigslist this past week and found a deal on some carbon fiber parts I couldnt pass up. Its the front cowl piece and the rear trunk lid that came from this website: https://www.ultra-carbon.com/product...72-nova-parts/

These are parts that are super expensive and ones I would never think to buy... cowl is $900 and the trunk lid is $2k!! I paid nothing close to this!

So I test fit the trunk and its super nice, but I am leaning towards not running them. I am thinking I may just sell and try to make a few bucks to go towards other projects on this car... But here is some pics of the test fit.
I also am having a weird sound when car is running that I am chasing right now. You can hear it in the video. So there is always something to do on this car but its ok.. all part of the refining process. I would like to get this sound figured out though before I install rear end.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Black hood, black vinyl top, black (carbon) cowl, black (carbon) trunk lid. If anybody can run that combo it's you.

The latch issue is annoying, though.
The following users liked this post:
BillyFargon (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Black hood, black vinyl top, black (carbon) cowl, black (carbon) trunk lid. If anybody can run that combo it's you.

The latch issue is annoying, though.
Thanks for the vote of confidence!! I'm going to set the parts aside for now and stew on it. Maybe research a good minimalist trunk popper and decide if I really want to move forward. I have other things to get nailed down first.. Like some weird noises and a rear end!
Old 02-21-2020, 12:37 PM
Launching!

To catch this thread up to where we are now and to highlight some future plans...

Quick Performance Ford 9" is all in. I just got my drive line back from Dennys driveshafts this last week. Right now we just got some good weather so I am doing the break in process of 4-5 15 minute easy driving cycles with cooling down in between. I should be all good by the end of the weekend to finally get some spirited driving in

Here are some pics I took along the way.

And now for future plans!!!

I have some toe plates, cheap camber gauge and control arm shims arriving this weekend so I will be taking my time and trying to get this aligned the best I can. I have no idea how to adjust caster or measure it so... yeah... not sure how that will work itself out.

I ordered a transmission rebuild kit from Jakes Performance for the the spare 4l80e I have. I am going to try my hand at doing all the work myself. I am a little scared but I bought the manual that they offer and I will just take my time. But after getting that rebuilt I will swap it into my car and be ready for more power.

I will be going turbo. Or turbos.. Not sure yet. Trying to decide if I should spend the money on the CX racing bolt in twin turbo kit or piece together my own with a single turbo. I am not a welder so I can't just fab my own stuff up easily. I would like to in the future but I can't buy a welder AND a turbo kit. I only plan on running about 12lbs of boost to keep it conservative

So yeah.. that's whats on the horizon along with probably some other cosmetic and practical mods.

The following users liked this post:
HILROD (03-22-2020)
Old 03-16-2020, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Went and found a nice safe road and did a thing

Rear end works great!!!

Also... decided on single turbo - VS Racing Billet 7875

Old 03-16-2020, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

The undercar video is awesome. Love the roar as you drove over! Looks like a great little spot to lay down some rubber.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
The undercar video is awesome. Love the roar as you drove over! Looks like a great little spot to lay down some rubber.
I got really lucky with that under car shot.. I thought once I got going there was a chance I would hit it. Now its my favorite clip
Old 04-09-2020, 03:55 PM
Launching!

I need some opinions!!!

I am tired of hearing this annoying engine tick. And while I would like to get my spare motor in with upgrades I don't want to rush that with the turbo. So... I am thinking I should fix my current motor so I can continue to enjoy my car this summer while I build the other stuff.

I was thinking to be quick and dirty to fix I would replace lifters and trays with stock parts.. is it ok to leave cam alone and everything else?

Anything else I'm not thinking of that would cause this tick in the valve train I should look at?

In this latest video you can hear the tick around the 1:40 mark.

Old 04-09-2020, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

That ticking actually sounds a little slow for lifter noise.

Andrew
Old 04-09-2020, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exhaust leak?

Quick Reply: Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon