Sponsored by:

Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve68
Exhaust leak?
Exhaust leaks tend to follow the same rhythm as a lifter. This noise doesn't seem to have a steady beat.

Andrew
Old 04-10-2020, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve68
Exhaust leak?
I have checked header bolts several times and sound seems to be coming from passenger side towards the back to cylinders
Old 04-10-2020, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Any time I have an engine-related noise, I try to evaluate the following: how does the sound change with engine speed, engine load, and transmission in/out of gear or clutch in/out? For each case does the sound get louder quieter, faster, slower, or the same? These are really important clues for where the sound might be coming from. For example:
- If the sound is the same volume but faster with higher engine speed, I'm thinking valvetrain rocker adjustment / pushrods
- If the sound gets quieter and faster with higher engine speed, I'm thinking oil pressure related, also possibly valvetrain lifters
- If the sound gets louder with load and faster with higher engine speed, then I'm thinking exhaust leak.
- If the sound doesn't get faster with higher engine speed, then I'm thinking it's not engine related. It could be as simple as something rattling against something else, like insufficient exhaust clearance.

Based on what I can hear in the video, I would pull the valve cover (easy enough to do) and make sure all the rockers are tight and not wondering around. I had a bent pushrod w/ loose rocker make noise like this once where the rocker would wonder around on the tip of the valve and I guess depending on where it happened to land each time, the noise would get louder or fainter or outright go away some times, so it didn't have the regular sewing machine of a valvetrain noise. I think something similar could possibly happen if the lifter is not getting good oil flow.

Another thing I've experienced that sounded similar was loose flexplate bolts. You might want to get under the car and check the bolts at the flywheel/flexplate and see if anything is loose or getting knocked around in that area.

Just ideas. Hope you find it!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Exhaust leaks tend to follow the same rhythm as a lifter. This noise doesn't seem to have a steady beat.
I agree that's usually the case.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Any time I have an engine-related noise, I try to evaluate the following: how does the sound change with engine speed, engine load, and transmission in/out of gear or clutch in/out? For each case does the sound get louder quieter, faster, slower, or the same? These are really important clues for where the sound might be coming from. For example:
- If the sound is the same volume but faster with higher engine speed, I'm thinking valvetrain rocker adjustment / pushrods
- If the sound gets quieter and faster with higher engine speed, I'm thinking oil pressure related, also possibly valvetrain lifters
- If the sound gets louder with load and faster with higher engine speed, then I'm thinking exhaust leak.
- If the sound doesn't get faster with higher engine speed, then I'm thinking it's not engine related. It could be as simple as something rattling against something else, like insufficient exhaust clearance.

Based on what I can hear in the video, I would pull the valve cover (easy enough to do) and make sure all the rockers are tight and not wondering around. I had a bent pushrod w/ loose rocker make noise like this once where the rocker would wonder around on the tip of the valve and I guess depending on where it happened to land each time, the noise would get louder or fainter or outright go away some times, so it didn't have the regular sewing machine of a valvetrain noise. I think something similar could possibly happen if the lifter is not getting good oil flow.

Another thing I've experienced that sounded similar was loose flexplate bolts. You might want to get under the car and check the bolts at the flywheel/flexplate and see if anything is loose or getting knocked around in that area.

Just ideas. Hope you find it!

I agree that's usually the case.

I appreciate the ideas! I will mess around with it this weekend and check some of these things and report back.

Its always good to get outside opinions or ideas.. Sometimes I get so focused on one aspect and fresh thoughts help!
Old 05-14-2020, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Wanted to update this thread before I get too far behind...

My buddy decided he needed more power than his Lexus so he bought a Camaro. Size comparison with the Nova is not as far off as one would think.

I got my Holley/ Hooker turbo exhaust manifolds cerakoted. Happy with how they turned out. Got them mocked up on the spare LQ4.

I have never done a turbo so I am figuring it out as I go. In the meantime I decided I would get my spare LQ4 broke down, check it, clean it, add a few things to it and replace the LQ4 I have right now. Im just tired of the random ticking and I figured since I should really gap the rings before I run turbo that I would jump ahead and prep the other motor.

Plans for spare 6.0 are:
Gap the rings
cam & springs
oil pump and timing set
head refresh

With these basic things done I will swap it into my car, get it tuned for new cam, then I will feel good about adding the turbo to it afterwards.

Then just a few extra shots for the heck of it

Old 10-26-2020, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Been a good while since an update on here! I keep my Instagram and YouTube channel updated so I figured I better catch this up with a few details.

Turbo-Prep:
1. Transmission - Started rebuilding my first transmission ever. Spend a lot of the time reading and trying to figure it out and not a ton of time actually working on it but its just about ready to start re-assembly. I went with a Jakes Stage 2 kit but then ended up buying the upgrade input shaft anyway. Hoping this actually works when I install it!.

2. My spare LQ4.
Got it all cleaned up and put back together. This is basically a cookie cutter sloppy setup. It has gapped rings, Sloppy Stage 2 cam, new timing chain set, melling 10295 pump, new summit lifters and trays, PAC 1218 springs, BTR pushrods, ARP head bolts, refreshed heads and now ready to go.

My plan is to swap out trans first and make sure it works all good and if it does with no issues then I will pull engine and put the newer one in. After engine is in I will get it tuned N/A and make sure its all dialed in. Once that is done I will start working on getting the turbo kit installed. Really thinking about going to terminator X even though my stock harness and computer work good so I can start learning tuning so I dont have to take it in every time.. so we will see. That may happen when I put new engine in.

Other than that.. I refreshed the front end a little with a new front bumper and a Glasstek 3" chin spoiler.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

I've always liked that design of that chin spoiler and it looks great on your car! Nice progress on the new engine/trans combo too.
The following users liked this post:
BillyFargon (11-03-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 01:40 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Man you are brave for taking on that transmission build.
Old 11-03-2020, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Smitty454
Man you are brave for taking on that transmission build.
I hope it works and I dont regret it! We will see.. not 100% confident :/
Old 11-06-2020, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Be aware some of the cheaper lifter trays have been know to let the lifter rotate and cause ticking
Old 01-27-2021, 12:47 PM
Launching!

Quick update:

Built 4L80E is done and installed. Went with a Yank pro-series billet triple disc converter. Now I just need to fix a weird noise I am hearing from car so I can get some miles on the transmission before I pull and swap engines.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey man, enjoyed the videos and following along with this build. The extra block painted bright green is different and looks good. Did you just use rattle can on all that? Also I see you installed ARP head bolts and not studs. How much boost and hp are you planning on? Reason I ask is everyone has a different answer. Some reuse stock stuff, others studs others new bolts.
Old 01-29-2021, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SCLT1
Hey man, enjoyed the videos and following along with this build. The extra block painted bright green is different and looks good. Did you just use rattle can on all that? Also I see you installed ARP head bolts and not studs. How much boost and hp are you planning on? Reason I ask is everyone has a different answer. Some reuse stock stuff, others studs others new bolts.
Thanks for watching the build videos!
For the paint on the green engine its engine primer and color that's made for high heat. I wouldn't recommend using just regular paint. The engine specific paint uses ceramic in it which makes it more durable. There may be other reasons but that's the one that sticks out to me. There are lots of colors to chose from too and it all comes in rattle can.

I honestly don't know the science of strength on bolts vs studs. I think studs probably hold more power but maybe someone else can chime in. I didn't want to reuse stock bolts or even buy new stock bolts just for the simple fact is that you aren't supposed to reuse them and I wanted bolts I could reuse. You're right though.. people have had success reusing stock bolts but that's not something I want coming back to bite me down the road. This is my first turbo build so there is a good chance I may have to pull heads again for maintenance or possibly blowing a gasket from inexperience.

As for boost levels and power... I would like to be 600-650... and I am hoping to get there around 15lbs which is pretty safe but we will see.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds good on the paint. I’m looking to make what you are to the wheels but with a blower.
The following users liked this post:
BillyFargon (02-01-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Just came across this build thread, love it. What a clean car too!

Are those Cal Customs wheels?
Old 02-08-2021, 05:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Just came across this build thread, love it. What a clean car too!

Are those Cal Customs wheels?
Thanks John!! The wheels are just heavy affordable steel wheels made by "US Wheels, model 68
Old 10-05-2021, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Update time... plans have changed big time! My car was heading in a direction that was not matching the type of driving I was wanting to do with it. It was heading in more of a drag racing setup and I want a street car capable of sliding corners.. drifting and autocross.. So I stopped right where I was at and basically sold off all automatic stuff that was in my car... trans, crossmember, shifter, driveline... etc... then I even ditched the turbo direction I was heading.. For the driving I felt that NA would be the best most simple and reliable way to proceed.

So car started getting torn down again:

Modified factory harness was removed and I am currently installing Terminator X Max. I bought the Max so it would control trans and turbo and now its a little overkill but oh well.. its already paid for.

I also took the fresh rebuilt 317 heads off the 6.0 Im going to use and put fresh rebuilt 706 on instead which will be better for NA. While I was in there I did a cheap BTR trunnion upgrade and got my stock injectors all freshened up. So the replacement 6.0 is all good to go just about ready to go back in.

About a month and a half ago I ordered a Tremec TKX 5-speed swap kit from Silver Sport Transmission. Trans is still on back order but I did start getting parts in this last Sunday to start getting the rest of the car prepped. I want to loom the trans wiring in with the Holley stuff and have that all clean and loomed so that's what I am working on now. Then I will get the clutch mounted with bell housing and get that all centered so I can get engine in car all just waiting on trans to get here

And now I have 3 pedals!

Old 10-05-2021, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BillyFargon
Update time... plans have changed big time! My car was heading in a direction that was not matching the type of driving I was wanting to do with it. It was heading in more of a drag racing setup and I want a street car capable of sliding corners.. drifting and autocross.. So I stopped right where I was at and basically sold off all automatic stuff that was in my car... trans, crossmember, shifter, driveline... etc... then I even ditched the turbo direction I was heading.. For the driving I felt that NA would be the best most simple and reliable way to proceed.
It's good to step back and rethink things - make sure you're building the kind of car that's going to work for YOU. The 5 speed is going to be a ton of fun and yes there is something to be said about reliable power levels and predictable throttle response in corner exiting situations. Build what works for you. I am stupidly satisfied with my rather simple setup. It's a ton of fun rowing the gears.
The following 2 users liked this post by -TheBandit-:
BillyFargon (10-06-2021), G Atsma (10-05-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 03:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Billy,
Can you give me the specs on the brackets for your seats? I tried contacting hookemdevils22 but can't seem to get a answer.

Thanks!
Troy
Old 11-10-2021, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badass99ss
Billy,
Can you give me the specs on the brackets for your seats? I tried contacting hookemdevils22 but can't seem to get a answer.

Thanks!
Troy
Email me at billy.fargon@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon