Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BillyFargon
I almost had a disaster with the oil pressure on this motor! Ever since I put the Holley oil pan on I was a little worried about that o-ring for the pick up tube... Glad I checked!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LUWtAydsgs
Was the pickup o-ring new when previously installed? It looked pretty smooshed in the video. Also is that the Holley pickup tube as well or original pickup?
Old 07-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by frojoe
Was the pickup o-ring new when previously installed? It looked pretty smooshed in the video. Also is that the Holley pickup tube as well or original pickup?
It was a new pickup ring and tube from the pan kit. I was having trouble getting it to tighten without using the bolts to get it to seat. That was my problem. (as you know the instructions say not to use bolts to get it tight just in case anyone is reading this!) I never felt good about it which is why I wanted to check oil pressure. Glad I did. When I did it again I lubed the ring up really well and just took a good amount of time to work it in there without the bolts and got it to seat.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Got a little Facebook find for cheap... not even sure I will run it but I couldn't pass it up. I will at least put it on to see how it looks!

Old 07-16-2018, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Through some research on here I found a radiator hose I can make work with the correct shape. Its the right size diameter for the radiator side but its too large for the water pump side. What are you guys doing to make these work? Just cinching them tight anyway?

Gates makes hose bushings for that purpose.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NCDEERE
Gates makes hose bushings for that purpose.
I just found their reducer bushing that adapts 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". I have never used one so I hope it works good!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I just found their reducer bushing that adapts 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". I have never used one so I hope it works good!
We use them when we mount a diesel generator in an emergency vehicle and mount the radiator on the roof. Never had an issue.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NCDEERE
We use them when we mount a diesel generator in an emergency vehicle and mount the radiator on the roof. Never had an issue.
Awesome, that's good to hear!
Old 07-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Got my power steering hoses figured and done last week.

Here is my original hose. I was going to use it with the Dirty Dingo adapter to the metric pump but it was too long. The gap between the blue tape was what was needed to be removed and after all was said and done I probably removed a couple inches more beyond that.

So then I found a Napa Auto Parts that does hydraulic lines and they actually had the proper end fittings. So I had them make me a hose. Well it wasnt clocked right and the pressure hose does NOT twist.. So I had them make me another.. it was still off!!!! Dang it.. I said screw it and built my own from Earls high pressure power steering AN fittings and hose like I should have done from the get go. Now its all done.

Then you can see here how close the AN 90 got to the motor mount. Tight fit!

Of course you can watch all the drama here:

Part #'s I used:
Here are the part numbers I used:
AER-FBM2965
Fitting, Straight, -6 AN Male to 11/16-18 in. Inverted Flare
AER-FBM2964
Fitting, Straight, -6 AN Male to 5/8-18 in. Inverted Flare

Then I used earls high pressure -6 AN 90 degree fittings for each end and earls high pressure power steering hose.
This replicated a stock hose replacement. Then I had already purchased an adapter to go to back of the LS pump that is metric from Dirty Dingo

https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/prod...oducts_id=1414
Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Got radiator in and then finally trimmed my taurus electric fan to fit and clear the engine pulley. I got brackets made to mount fan so that will be next. Right now I'm waiting for some weather strip to be delivered so I can put it in between the radiator and fan so the fan doesn't rub on radiator and mess it up.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

You're doing great. One thing off the list after another. She'll be a driver before you know it!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:28 AM
9 Second Club

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I don’t know how I missed this thread. Car is looking great man.

For me, 68-72 novas are the dream car. My mustang will eventually get sold to support a nova build.

Keep up the the good work, car is coming along nicely.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Thank you guys! I'm hoping this time next month or sooner that this car will be running. I'm almost to the point where wiring is left. I just need my garage to not be a humidifier so I can be out there longer than an hour at a time!
Old 07-30-2018, 01:17 PM
Launching!

This weekend I added some seal to front of radiator to be a barrier between fins and fan.. so now my fan is completely mounted with radiator. Its super solid and now I dont even need to use the top radiator mount so I think I will leave it off for now.

I also worked on my air intake. So here is where I am with it now... I am going to rotate the maf sensor 90 degrees towards alternator so the plug goes into the side.

I do have two questions though!!
1. Will it be ok having the maf sensor so close to air filter?
2. I got the truck style maf pictured below.. I dont want to use it though. I want to use the style that is shown in the pic of my setup. I have a 5 wire maf plug. Is there part number for the sensor I can use that is plug and play? Can I use any maf sensor that is 5 wire? Underneath the mount for the maf sensor adapter is the round style as well.. so I have options. Let me know what you guys think.

Stock truck maf:

And video from the weekend per usual.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking radiator/fan setup you got going there Billy!

Nice to see your build coming along
Old 07-30-2018, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why do you want to replace the stock 85mm MAF? it's perfectly fine to well above your hp level, and a new one would require screwing with the tune.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
why do you want to replace the stock 85mm MAF? it's perfectly fine to well above your hp level, and a new one would require screwing with the tune.
I'm new at this but would swapping sensor types really mess with tune? Also I haven't measured but isn't the stock sensor a smaller diameter than the 4" tubing im using?
Old 07-31-2018, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Ok, here is a quick revision to air intake tube using the stock truck maf... Is this how I should run it? I added the elbow in front of the maf so maybe air wouldn't be so turbulent. But maybe it being so low in the fender is a bad thing? What do you guys think.. what setup should I run? Attached filter right to maf so its up higher?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Swapping the MAF would require redoing the tables in the PCM, and the 5-pin truck MAF was used in the Corvette through 2007 so it'll flow plenty. The OD difference is a pain, but I was able to fit a flex hose around it. I prefer the lower filter position, and plenty of other swaps run a filter in a similar spot.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Swapping the MAF would require redoing the tables in the PCM, and the 5-pin truck MAF was used in the Corvette through 2007 so it'll flow plenty. The OD difference is a pain, but I was able to fit a flex hose around it. I prefer the lower filter position, and plenty of other swaps run a filter in a similar spot.
Cool, thanks for the heads up and helping me avoid a potential future problem. I'm going to go with how its setup now in last pic.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, thanks for the heads up and helping me avoid a potential future problem. I'm going to go with how its setup now in last pic.
Ha ha hey Billy are you somehow getting images of my build! I know I haven't posted any new ones yet lol. I just finished doing the same setup with my air filter over the weekend where instead of going straight, I got it to bend down into the fender like yours. Looking good!

BTW I'm using the stock MAF sensor as well but I'm still trying to sort some fuel delivery issues, but I think it should run fine once I get that squared away. No need into spending more money on a different one and of course like hookem said the tune.

Quick Reply: Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon