Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jcastyo80
Ha ha hey Billy are you somehow getting images of my build! I know I haven't posted any new ones yet lol. I just finished doing the same setup with my air filter over the weekend where instead of going straight, I got it to bend down into the fender like yours. Looking good!

BTW I'm using the stock MAF sensor as well but I'm still trying to sort some fuel delivery issues, but I think it should run fine once I get that squared away. No need into spending more money on a different one and of course like hookem said the tune.
I'm channeling your Nova energy

I messed myself up cause I didn't dig into the box of parts that came with the motor to actually see what type of maf I had. I just assumed it was the cartridge style so I wasted money on the maf adapter I bought.. Oh well.. Not the first thing on this swap that I wasted money on! Learning every step of the way! I'm sure when it starts I will find a whole new set of problems!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I have a tally of cash I didn't need to spend in my swap cost log. It's probably in the four figures (thankfully I was able to sell off a bit of it).
Old 08-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Launching!

This weekend I wrapped up a couple loose ends in engine bay... Air intake maf wiring, radiator hose clamps, then started getting the exhaust mounted. Last week I found out they shorted my some hardware and all 4 of the rubber isolaters for hanging the exhaust. Yesterday I found out the sent me to drivers side exhaust pieces that wrap over the axle when they are supposed to be opposite hand.. so now at this point I am waiting to hear back from Holley as to when I can expect the correct exhaust part.. could be a while... *(&#@&*(%^&*@^%&*)@#*

So I guess its time to move inside and start messing around with the wiring. The scariest part for me...

Here is video from this weekend:
Old 08-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Launching!

I got distracted and bought... wheels!!!

I was going to need bigger rims to upgrade my brakes eventually cause 14's arent friendly to disc brake conversions.. So I found these cool steel wheels that I think will go with the look that I am seeking for the car!

Fronts are 17x8 (4-1/2" bs) - 225/45/17 tires
Rears are 17x9 (5" bs) - 245/40/17 tires

I am picking up the fronts today since tires weren't in stock.. but here are some teaser pics!

Old 08-13-2018, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

Those wheels are cool, except they weigh approximately one thousand pounds each.... Lol

Andrew
Old 08-13-2018, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Those wheels are cool, except they weigh approximately one thousand pounds each.... Lol

Andrew
They are heavy that's for sure! But... I'm not building a race car so I'm good But.. I did have a rim fall out of the back of my 4runner when I opened the hatch.. I now have a couple purple toes!
Old 08-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Launching!

I am neck deep in this wiring now! Between my buddy and I we got just about every wire accounted for. I still need to make my battery and alternator wires and some grounds and send fan wires to engine but I am pretty darn close.
My exhaust piece should be here today so I should be wrapping pretty much everything up this weekend and maybe a little next week and should be firing the following week! Super excited and nervous!
Once it runs and stuff checks out good then I will work on cutting wiring to length, soldering, wrapping and tucking and putting interior back together. No cutting corners even though I am close. I want to keep it all clean even if it takes me a couple extra days here and there

Old 08-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Here is the fuse box label that came with the fuse block:

So I drew it up real quick in Autocad and printed it up

Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Exhaust is all wrapped up

Old 08-24-2018, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Wiring is just about done. Have a few more things to wrap up then I think this weekend will be the attempt to start!

Once it runs and everything checks out I will clean up the wiring. Cut it to length, solder, wrap, tuck and then put the interior back together.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Billy nice job!! Exhaust setup looks nice and can't wait for you to get the engine started!!

I have searched your previous posts and videos and I guess I'm just missing it but what radiator did you go with? I'm thinking I might have to switch mine out to get my battery to fit in stock location. I know you went with a Taurus fan, what year/trim did you get it from?
Old 08-24-2018, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jcastyo80
Hey Billy nice job!! Exhaust setup looks nice and can't wait for you to get the engine started!!

I have searched your previous posts and videos and I guess I'm just missing it but what radiator did you go with? I'm thinking I might have to switch mine out to get my battery to fit in stock location. I know you went with a Taurus fan, what year/trim did you get it from?
Thank you, I appreciate it!

Radiator is from Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-69-CA...IAAOSw8-tWax31

I would get the version they sell for cheaper without the super cheap fan it comes with.

Here is the link to the fan from Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-620-118
Old 08-27-2018, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Well.. Its ALIVE!!!!!!

Fired first try!!

Now that it's running I have a couple engine codes I need to research and figure out.

Here is the first one P1637.

From what I quickly read it was the wire for signal to alternator. We put an ohm meter on that one alternator wire and it was good. Also the alternator had correct voltage when running and not running. So not sure what the problem is.

Here is the second code - P0200.

This has to do with the injectors but it was weird cause the engine light didnt always stay on when running so again.. not sure what the cause of this is.

But it runs and I am stoked and now its time to start cleaning up the harness inside the car.. shorten, solder, wrap, tuck.. all that. I am hoping to have everything cleaned up well enough to take it for a spin this coming weekend.

So far my fails have been:
1. Forgetting to ground the fuse block so obd2 was not reading and nothing was turning on like it was supposed to. Doh!!
2. I cut a factory wire in the engine bay that was needed to supply power to factory fuse block. I thought this was the original alternator wire.. again.. oops!!
3. I forgot to tighten my tranny cooling lines at the transmission! Oops..

I am sure I will find more quirks but at least it runs and I can move forward!!
Old 08-27-2018, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Congrats my dude! That sweet, sweet exhaust note helps alleviate all those small issues that need to be sorted out toward the end of a swap. And I love how every video features a Dwight Schrute cameo in the background.

Re: P1637. I don't believe you need a resistor in the L-terminal circuit, and I don't remember installing one. The alternator bible states that you can connect it with or without a resistor, and lt1swap doesn't mention a resistor at all, so I would remove it and recheck. That code pops up when the PCM detects improper voltage, and can also be caused by a bad alternator.

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 08-27-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Congrats my dude! That sweet, sweet exhaust note helps alleviate all those small issues that need to be sorted out toward the end of a swap. And I love how every video features a Dwight Schrute cameo in the background.

Re: P1637. I don't believe you need a resistor in the L-terminal circuit, and I don't remember installing one. The alternator bible states that you can connect it with or without a resistor, and lt1swap doesn't mention a resistor at all, so I would remove it and recheck. That code pops up when the PCM detects improper voltage, and can also be caused by a bad alternator.
Thanks!

I didn't add a resistor with the alternator. Its just the one wire that was part of the engine harness. So I didn't mess with that. We put an ohm meter on it and there was no resistance. We also checked voltage running and not running and numbers are great.. 12.5 off.. 14.5 on..
Old 08-27-2018, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

We put an ohm meter on that one alternator wire
Ah, I misread this as "we put a resistor on that one alternator wire", since a lot of folks seem to think a resistor is necessary.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Billy, sounds really nice! BTW, thanks for the info on your radiator/fan setup.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS! You'll be rolling in not time!
Old 08-27-2018, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
CONGRATULATIONS! You'll be rolling in not time!
Going to try for this weekend! I have the two engine codes but it still sounds good like it should still move the car around!
Old 08-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Launching!

um... I bought another one...

I think its an 03... LQ4 with 4l80e from an express van. Has DBC with the blue and green pcm. Its really clean and super complete. My plan as of right now is to store it and then build it to replace the engine I have now down the road. Transmission will just be backup in case I have any issues with my current trans. If I have no issues with my current one then it would be nice to beef this extra one up some for down the road.

Quick Reply: Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon