Sponsored by:

1967 Chevelle Accessory Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 Chevelle Accessory Drive

Hello All,

I have a 1967 Chevelle that I am putting a 2005 GTO LS2/T56 in. The engine will be left bone stock. I need to move the altenator and AC compressor up. I have found several options like going full Corvette, Holley Alt bracket, Dirty Dingo Alt bracket etc.

I would like to run a 145 amp altenator. Down the road I would like to ad AC.

The most important focus of the build is reliability, and the ability to replace parts from a local parts store.

The Holley altenator bracket looks great and seems to fill the ticket, but can I find a belt to run it with no AC now, and later add AC and then find a longer, belt, or would I need to put AC on it now?

Any other ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Clint
Old 12-21-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The Holley kit will do exactly what you need. I'm using it on my 64 now. You will just need to buy a longer belt when you decide to add the AC.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the Holley kit would be best. IMO And yes you will be able to find the right belt.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response guys.

I seems like it would be easy to buy things I end up not using, or find out something better is out there for less money.

Looks like I am going to buy a speartech harness and want all my accessories figured out so I get the ends put on.

Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Will the Holley ALT bracket allow me to use my factory PS pump and remote resevoir, or will I need to buy the Holley set up?
Old 12-22-2017, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I used a 4th gen camaro pump with a retrofit fitting on it for about a year and finally bought a corvette pump. You need the corvette pump or at least the corvette pump fitting/hose and reservoir for the Holley kit.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 927 Posts

By the looks of it (looking at pictures on Rockauto) the GTO pump is not compatible with the Holley (Corvette) PS pump. The pumps probably interchange, but the pressed in nipple for the return line is different. I wouldn't hesitate running a remanufactured C6 Corvette pump with the Holley bracket. Those can be had for about $150...

Andrew
Old 12-22-2017, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks, 1964SS and Project GatTagO,

From what I saw in Holley literature and videos Holley did not explicitly state that some PS pumps would not work, but offered one of there own.

Thanks for the clearity.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Teching In

I’m just starting a ls swap in my 67 Chevelle using a 5.7 Corvette engine that has no FEAD with it. I’m really tempted to use Holley’s new mid mount system with all the accessories included but it sure is pricey! May not be a bad choice for me since I don’t have anything and would need to source all the bits and pieces.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,500 Posts

It's a case of getting what you pay for. Everything will fit and work well, and because of that the price will be a distant memory.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by f6john
I’m just starting a ls swap in my 67 Chevelle using a 5.7 Corvette engine that has no FEAD with it. I’m really tempted to use Holley’s new mid mount system with all the accessories included but it sure is pricey! May not be a bad choice for me since I don’t have anything and would need to source all the bits and pieces.
I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I we're in your shoes. When you look at the big picture it's really not a bad deal.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Well I did it. 20%off Christmas Sale was too tempting. Ordered the basic mid mount system and a 302-2 Holley oil pan. Merry Christmas to me!
Old 12-24-2017, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Thats awesome F6john,

I used the Holley 302-2 black ceramic. I love that pan. It is so simple.

I am all about saving money, and sometimes that means buy good stuff at the out set. Congrats!
Old 12-25-2017, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,500 Posts

Originally Posted by daily duece
I am all about saving money, and sometimes that means buy good stuff at the out set.
MAJOR truth!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Well I did it. 20%off Christmas Sale was too tempting. Ordered the basic mid mount system and a 302-2 Holley oil pan. Merry Christmas to me!
Congrats on the Christmas gift. What power steering pump will you use? Is it correct that a person can use a corvette pump?

My engine is a GTO so my stuff is mid mount, but the water pump is old and the crank pulley is rusty, (180,000 miles). I wonder if I should just buy all factory corvette stuff?
Old 12-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by daily duece
Congrats on the Christmas gift. What power steering pump will you use? Is it correct that a person can use a corvette pump?

My engine is a GTO so my stuff is mid mount, but the water pump is old and the crank pulley is rusty, (180,000 miles). I wonder if I should just buy all factory corvette stuff?
With the new Holley system, the water pump housing becomes the mounting bracket for all the accessories and the pump itself is a replaceable cartridge that you can replace without removing the housing. The kit comes with a new power steering pump, a new alternator, and a new air conditioner compressor. It also has all the bolts and pulleys plus a new harmonic balancer and drive belt.

The only part that is in the kit that I already had was the balancer. Since I would probably want to replace it after 116,000 miles I needed it all. I didn’t even have any attaching bolts with the engine when I got it. Considering the time and expense involved in trying to round up everything I needed, this kit with the 20% savings made me feel good about spending so much. The savings on the FEAD was enough to offset the cost of a new 302-2 oil pan.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

With the new Holley system, the water pump housing becomes the mounting bracket for all the accessories and the pump itself is a replaceable cartridge that you can replace without removing the housing. The kit comes with a new power steering pump, a new alternator, and a new air conditioner compressor. It also has all the bolts and pulleys plus a new harmonic balancer and drive belt.

The only part that is in the kit that I already had was the balancer. Since I would probably want to replace it after 116,000 miles I needed it all. I didn’t even have any attaching bolts with the engine when I got it. Considering the time and expense involved in trying to round up everything I needed, this kit with the 20% savings made me feel good about spending so much. The savings on the FEAD was enough to offset the cost of a new 302-2 oil pan.
I am eager to see how this system fits in your Chevelle! Presumably, Holley has various front clips modeled in CAD, so they should know. I looked at the instruction sheet and it wasn't clearly obvious what cars it will fit. They should probably be specific with respect to the more popular swaps.

Using the water pump housing is also a great idea. I believe the Gen V engines use a similar arrangement, which makes sense in terms of less expensive water pump replacement. The gen 3 and gen 4 water pumps are massive castings, which I am sure adds to the cost.

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 12-27-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pretty good over view of the new Holley acc drive

Old 12-27-2017, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Troy,

I watched that video, but I didn't catch what chassis it would fit, other than "many."

From the looks of it, all the accessories are slightly pushed forward as compared to the F-body and Corvette set-ups, so I am pretty sure the PS pulley is not going to crash into the steering box on an A-body...

This set-up would also work very nicely with the Holley cast turbo log system.

Andrew
Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Hey Troy,

I watched that video, but I didn't catch what chassis it would fit, other than "many."

From the looks of it, all the accessories are slightly pushed forward as compared to the F-body and Corvette set-ups, so I am pretty sure the PS pulley is not going to crash into the steering box on an A-body...

This set-up would also work very nicely with the Holley cast turbo log system.

Andrew
I think as high and as you mentioned how far forward it is mounted it would be fine. It does have a very large diameter P/S pulley, probably to increase wrap.

This is an issue that concerns me on a lot of these drives. Even the Front Runner is that way.

Quick Reply: 1967 Chevelle Accessory Drive