Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Motor

Newbie here guys so go easy. Im looking at building a LS style motor for an airboat, and as in many things airboat engines need a lot of torque. My question is what would be a good setup to go with for a lot of torque? Im looking at aluminum block, 6.0 or 6.2. Which would be best to start with and what modifications/head swaps would be your choices?
Old 12-30-2017, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 489 Likes on 342 Posts

Your entire premise is wrong. Do a few more years of research, then come back with intelligent questions.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by gametech
Your entire premise is wrong. Do a few more years of research, then come back with intelligent questions.
Well I'm not sure what a "intelligent" question would be. I am looking for options on what motor to start with. The only things i know that i want at this point is aluminum block motor (for weight obviously) and i want a LS style engine because thats what the gearbox bolt pattern is built for. I don't want to buy a LM4 only to find out later that it is the worst possible bottom end for a build. Does any of this make sense now?
Old 12-31-2017, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

LS1Tech really isn't the place to ask such a question as you can see by the first responder (sorry for his rudeness). Weight and gph is of most concern. An aluminum block is the best choice as you already know. You will need a very broad powerband with as much torque as possible. The cam selection is dependent on the gear box ratio you use and other factors and are quite different than a cam used in a car.

I suggest you contact these guys that have the proper knowledge: http://www.waterthunder.com/

If they won't sell you a cam, maybe they can point you in the right direction. Good luck with your project.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Duntov1967
LS1Tech really isn't the place to ask such a question as you can see by the first responder (sorry for his rudeness). Weight and gph is of most concern. An aluminum block is the best choice as you already know. You will need a very broad powerband with as much torque as possible. The cam selection is dependent on the gear box ratio you use and other factors and are quite different than a cam used in a car.

I suggest you contact these guys that have the proper knowledge: http://www.waterthunder.com/

If they won't sell you a cam, maybe they can point you in the right direction. Good luck with your project.
First off, thank you for your posive response. I have attempted to contact waterthunder, but with the holidays it may be next week before i hear back from them. Also i will be buying the cam from them as they have done all the testing for our intended uses. I have an opportunity to purchase a 6.2 and didn’t want to venture down that road if a 6.0 was better for my purpose in the long run? Thanks again for your reply, and i hope i explained that well enough.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default WaterThunder = Dave H.

Hi Walker, yes I was going to direct you to Dave.

I would think about a Direct Drive application ?

Weight is MOST important.

I have worked with Dave for 20+ years !

Lance

Quick Reply: Torque Motor