Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holy spagehtti bowl batman - help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holy spagehtti bowl batman - help

Ok been staring at my wiring harness and watching videos till I'm blue in the face. Im confident I can cut up my harness that said I just don't have time to. So I'm gonna blow some $$$ on one ready to go.

Who do you recommend???? looks like there is a wide range in cost from 250-850.

What I have is a 2005 LS with 105,000 mi out of a truck. Its going in a '53 chevy car. I'm wanting to keep it really stock down to the cats. I want to keep the Mantiance to a minimum and my pipe dream is to try and keep the "eco" part of the system where it goes down to 4 cyc(id like to **** off some greenie winnies with good gas milage ha). Ill post some pics later.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 672 Likes on 466 Posts

Why not just use it as-is? What would require "cut up"? Gotta be the single biggest mistake you could make... people should usually only use dykes as the absolute last resort.

I'm going to guess that this is a 5.3/4L60E pullout or the like? If so, all of the stuff that works the engine, both the physical objects and the programming for them, can stay; the parts that work the transmission, the same; you'll need to do something about the dash, since the ECM is expecting to output a bunch of data which the gauges then decode and display, which would mean using a modern dash of some sort, anyway; and so forth. Attack each subsystem of the car/engine individually and as you work through each one, you'll see what needs to be done for each thing, which almost certainly won't involve dykes. Most of that remains the same whether you use the harness that's there or replace it. IOW there's no benefit to replacing it: you still have to do all of the exact same work/expense/etc. It's going to need a tune, regardless. In the process of that, eliminate the parts you won't be needing, whatever those might be, and just tie their wires back out of the way.

AFAIK 05 won't have the DOD feature... it's a V8 all the time. That sort of thing including AFM started in like 07 or so.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Here's where you definitely get what you pay for! Go with a company like SpearTech or PSI (there are others...) and you will not be sorry later. Get it done RIGHT.
On edit- I took out all the DOD/VVT BS because you don't have that. If you feel uncomfortable about wiring and electronics, what I say stands. But if you feel brave...
Also, DOD and AFM are the same thing.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 467 Likes on 351 Posts

PSI Conversions did a great job on mine. Supplied harness with ecu modded to un-do VATs, etc. as well as O2 sensors, gas pedal and mass air sensor. Started on first key turn and has performed flawlessly for 2500 miles. Helped with questions during install/startup as well.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PSI conversions ... I used them and worked out great
Old 12-31-2017, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

You will also need to decide where to install the powertrain control / transmission control modules, as required. Underhood? Glove box? Where do you want your OBD II port? Does the harness need to be lengthened for any of this? Maybe. I suggest leaving the wires for air conditioning in or adding them to the new harness because this will eventually be a consideration.

I'm sure there's a few things here I'm forgetting . . .

Rick
Old 12-31-2017, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Why not just use it as-is? What would require "cut up"? Gotta be the single biggest mistake you could make... people should usually only use dykes as the absolute last resort.

I'm going to guess that this is a 5.3/4L60E pullout or the like? If so, all of the stuff that works the engine, both the physical objects and the programming for them, can stay; the parts that work the transmission, the same; you'll need to do something about the dash, since the ECM is expecting to output a bunch of data which the gauges then decode and display, which would mean using a modern dash of some sort, anyway; and so forth. Attack each subsystem of the car/engine individually and as you work through each one, you'll see what needs to be done for each thing, which almost certainly won't involve dykes. Most of that remains the same whether you use the harness that's there or replace it. IOW there's no benefit to replacing it: you still have to do all of the exact same work/expense/etc. It's going to need a tune, regardless. In the process of that, eliminate the parts you won't be needing, whatever those might be, and just tie their wires back out of the way.

AFAIK 05 won't have the DOD feature... it's a V8 all the time. That sort of thing including AFM started in like 07 or so.
I didn't realize it could be that simple. I thought it might cause problems with the computer. If that's the case that would be the easiest and cheapest. And yes it's a 5.3/4L60e. I got everything but the throttle and cats.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
You will also need to decide where to install the powertrain control / transmission control modules, as required. Underhood? Glove box? Where do you want your OBD II port? Does the harness need to be lengthened for any of this? Maybe. I suggest leaving the wires for air conditioning in or adding them to the new harness because this will eventually be a consideration.

I'm sure there's a few things here I'm forgetting . . .

Rick
I was thinking of putting it in the trunk. Would it be as simple as splicing in the required length of wire?
Old 12-31-2017, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

Splicing in extra wire for added length? Not sure about this but I'm thinking there must be a limit due to signal losses and possible outside signal interference down an extra long set of wires to the trunk. I'd ask this specific question of your chosen wire harness vendor because I'm sure they have been asked this before.

Rick
Old 12-31-2017, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Installing a stock truck harness and the fuse block with associated fuel tank pressure sensor, vacuum purge for the canister and all the other stuff can be done. However, you need to decide how back yard you want it to look. And if you removed some of the stuff it is difficult to know when to quit and how its going to affect the codes and runnability. Yes you can do it and yes it will run. Likely set off a bunch of codes from the missing equipment. Or can you, or do you want to, use the truck gas tank with a sealed cap etc? Get my point? That is why the aftermarket does so many. If you want it to look good I don't see a choice. One has to modify the harness or purchase new. Just my opinion.
Rick
Old 12-31-2017, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,113 Likes on 2,428 Posts

^^^^^This puts it nicely!^^^^^
Old 01-02-2018, 05:06 AM
On The Tree

PSI walked me through what I would need to get mine running (unfortunately it's not running yet). I would recommend them. Good quality and tech support.

Quick Reply: holy spagehtti bowl batman - help