Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 S10 LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo
Wouldn't happen to have the part number to those Yukon 30 spline axles would you? Ive been to their site and Moser's site, I cannot find either of them to have a
listing for these hard to find 2WD 8.5's for the S10. I found the same one you have Blazer 2wd with Disks, and put the same Trutrac Carrier, was going to use stock axles but they
have some fun little grooves where the axle seal goes, so new axles are in order.
I believe its these, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/y...olet/model/s10 somehow I didn't get them in my notes but have everything else. be sure to compare lengths. hope this is correct Luke
Old 12-19-2019, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 84c10
I believe its these, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/y...olet/model/s10 somehow I didn't get them in my notes but have everything else. be sure to compare lengths. hope this is correct Luke
I believe you are correct, 26 1/2" long, 30 spline, Thank You.
Another Question, Do you get plenty of air volume with that Evac. cover? It kinda looks like blocks some of the hole going into the inside piece.

Last edited by slogo; 12-19-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMRbrnSNRbrd
So I literally decided to stop lurking and create an account because of this thread.
Same.

Lots of good info in here for my future LS swap into my 85 S10.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Last of my Holley swap parts will he here January 3rd. Anyone interested in how the exhaust sounds, I have found 1 video of a guy on Youtube with the blackheart exhaust.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slogo
I believe you are correct, 26 1/2" long, 30 spline, Thank You.
Another Question, Do you get plenty of air volume with that Evac. cover? It kinda looks like blocks some of the hole going into the inside piece.
yep works awesome. It doesn’t block any of the hole.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yep works awesome. It doesn’t block any of the hole.
Thanks, I saw a link to the 2nd gen cover and that is what I was looking at, I finally saw the cover for the 1st gen and see the difference.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Anyone building an S10 using the Hooker Swap parts yet? post up your builds
I am! Here's my '92 S10 that I'm using Hooker swap components to put an LQ4 and T56 into. So far I've used the Hooker swap mounts/F-body motor mounts, Hooker swap steering shaft, Hooker evap cover, and Hooker T56 cross member. All parts have been top notch! I am still waiting on the swap headers to show up, apparently they're back ordered until at least mid-April.

I have on my workbench a Holley Terminator X setup that I am excited to run in this truck, also very high quality. Turns out, the original ECU mounting bracket from under the passenger side kickplate can be easily bent to accommodate the Terminator ECU and it fits perfectly.

I've also swapped in an 8.8 from an '03 Ford Explorer that has disc brakes and 3.73 gears.

One thing I am curious about; can you elaborate on how/to what extent you trimmed down the original 2.8 wiring harness? I want to do the same, but this being my first attempt at this sort of thing, I am terrified of destroying my harness to the point where nothing ever works again. I am curious specifically about how you removed the ECU wires from the bulkhead that passes through the firewall (in mine they appear to be epoxied in place) and also, how did you go about wiring the alternator? My S10 already had a small block swapped in by the time I got it, with an alternator wire spliced in place that clearly wasn't from factory. Does the LS3 use a 4-wire connector like the LQ4 does? From what I've read, I really only need to use two pins on the 4 wire alternator pig tail; one as a switched source with an inline 50 ohm resistor, and one hooked straight to the fuse panel to sense voltage draw.

So far I am extremely pleased with how these swap components have turned out!

Old 04-03-2020, 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Is that the Holley steering shaft? I recently found that my steering column I built, it's about 4-5" too long, and I need to move/shorten it in my '89 I'm building.

Jay
Old 04-03-2020, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JayinMI
Is that the Holley steering shaft? I recently found that my steering column I built, it's about 4-5" too long, and I need to move/shorten it in my '89 I'm building.

Jay
It is! It worked out perfectly for my truck, but I’m all stock.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Got my '92 S10 running and driving using all of the Holley swap parts in this thread. Here are a few of my notes:

First off, I must say that the quality of the Holley swap components is absolutely top notch. The headers fit perfectly (including the steering shaft), as well as the AC evap cover, motor mounts, and transmission mount. It's worth noting that my S10 is lowered 4" all around with 2" coils and 2" spindles up front, and 4" blocks in the rear. So far function has far exceeded expectations, and I would recommend this setup to anyone attempting a swap in a first gen S10. On top of that, (once I isolated my operator error) the Holley Terminator X made firing up the LQ4 painless.

A few things I noted:

- Although the MSD plug wires 84c10 recommended in this thread work well, there is a clearance issue on the number 7 cylinder as it interferes with the steering shaft. I've gotten around this temporarily by zip-tying the plug wire up out of the way to a stud on the valve cover. I believe an angled boot here might alleviate the issue (see picture).

- The Holley Blackheart exhaust kit showed up with one of the pipe ends incorrectly flared for slip fit (again, see picture). This wasn't a huge issue for me as I have a welder, so I just cut off a few inches on the end that should have been flared and welded it to the intermediate pipe between the header and the rest of the system. I then used the cut off chunk to butt two slip fit ends together, with two clamps next to one another. However, this could be an issue for someone expecting the kit to assemble as advertised. I shot an email to Holley to inform them, in case this is an issue with production, or just a one off situation.

- This isn't as much of a complaint so much as a compliment to Holley's customer service. When I ordered the headers, they were on back order for nearly two months. Once they finally did ship, I was saddened to see that what I received were actually headers for a second gen Camaro, in the correct box for S10 swap headers. A quick email to Holley, and they had the correct headers overnighted the next day.

- I didn't absolutely need it, however I ended up using Holley Sniper EFI fuel rails, and Accel 53 lb injectors (all purchased from the Holley website) which have worked out very well.

Additional aspects of my swap are:

- Walbro 255 in take pump with new sender (just like this swap thread) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-gca758-2
- Griffin aluminum LS rad for S10's from Summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-58241-xls
- ICT Billet accessory brackets
- 4 wire alternator
- 2003 1500HD power steering pump
- Truck LS waterpump
- T56, Monster clutch, and (a MUST if you aren't using a Magnum T56) Silver Sport Transmissions T56 front mount shifter kit https://shiftsst.com/t56-front-shift-kit.html

All told, I am extremely pleased with this product line. I can only assume their products for other swap platforms are equally as high quality.

The following users liked this post:
chevymec (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

@draab2006 any video of the truck running? I want to hear the exhaust. I have the single exit and have only found 1 video of the exhaust on an s10.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Here’s a quick one backing it in the garage, hopefully the quality is okay. I’ll get a better one today.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_9005.MOV (4.74 MB, 335 views)
chevymec (06-13-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Things are looking good! can you give me alittle more detail to the issue with the exhaust pipe issue?

Originally Posted by draab2006
Got my '92 S10 running and driving using all of the Holley swap parts in this thread. Here are a few of my notes:

First off, I must say that the quality of the Holley swap components is absolutely top notch. The headers fit perfectly (including the steering shaft), as well as the AC evap cover, motor mounts, and transmission mount. It's worth noting that my S10 is lowered 4" all around with 2" coils and 2" spindles up front, and 4" blocks in the rear. So far function has far exceeded expectations, and I would recommend this setup to anyone attempting a swap in a first gen S10. On top of that, (once I isolated my operator error) the Holley Terminator X made firing up the LQ4 painless.

A few things I noted:

- Although the MSD plug wires 84c10 recommended in this thread work well, there is a clearance issue on the number 7 cylinder as it interferes with the steering shaft. I've gotten around this temporarily by zip-tying the plug wire up out of the way to a stud on the valve cover. I believe an angled boot here might alleviate the issue (see picture).

- The Holley Blackheart exhaust kit showed up with one of the pipe ends incorrectly flared for slip fit (again, see picture). This wasn't a huge issue for me as I have a welder, so I just cut off a few inches on the end that should have been flared and welded it to the intermediate pipe between the header and the rest of the system. I then used the cut off chunk to butt two slip fit ends together, with two clamps next to one another. However, this could be an issue for someone expecting the kit to assemble as advertised. I shot an email to Holley to inform them, in case this is an issue with production, or just a one off situation.

- This isn't as much of a complaint so much as a compliment to Holley's customer service. When I ordered the headers, they were on back order for nearly two months. Once they finally did ship, I was saddened to see that what I received were actually headers for a second gen Camaro, in the correct box for S10 swap headers. A quick email to Holley, and they had the correct headers overnighted the next day.

- I didn't absolutely need it, however I ended up using Holley Sniper EFI fuel rails, and Accel 53 lb injectors (all purchased from the Holley website) which have worked out very well.

Additional aspects of my swap are:

- Walbro 255 in take pump with new sender (just like this swap thread) https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-gca758-2
- Griffin aluminum LS rad for S10's from Summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-58241-xls
- ICT Billet accessory brackets
- 4 wire alternator
- 2003 1500HD power steering pump
- Truck LS waterpump
- T56, Monster clutch, and (a MUST if you aren't using a Magnum T56) Silver Sport Transmissions T56 front mount shifter kit https://shiftsst.com/t56-front-shift-kit.html

All told, I am extremely pleased with this product line. I can only assume their products for other swap platforms are equally as high quality.

Old 05-26-2020, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Things are looking good! can you give me alittle more detail to the issue with the exhaust pipe issue?
Sure! The issue was the mid pipe that has both of the 90 degree bends in it was flared to accept a slip fit on the wrong end (short end instead of long end). This caused an issue where if the slip fit flared end was installed toward the headers (as it's depicted in the instructions), the bend comes too early and won't clear the transmission cross member. To get around this I just used my chop saw and cut off the same amount of pipe from the non slip fit end (the end that SHOULD have had a slip fit flare) and then welded the dual 90 degree bend pipe to the pipe that goes between it, and the drivers side header. From there, this left two flared slip fit ends abutting one another down the line, which I got around by sticking the piece of pipe I cut off between the two, and clamping both slip fit flared ends to the pipe segment that was cut off earlier. I have attached a picture of how it turned out to hopefully better explain it. Please forgive my boogery flux-core mig welds.

Last edited by draab2006; 05-26-2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Pictures in wrong place
Old 05-26-2020, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevymec
@draab2006 any video of the truck running? I want to hear the exhaust. I have the single exit and have only found 1 video of the exhaust on an s10.
Here's a better one for you, sorry about the wind.

Holley Blackheart Exhaust
chevymec (06-13-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

That sounds really good! Beautiful truck!
Old 05-28-2020, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

I hate that you had issues with your exhaust, your swap is looking great and i believe you will be happy with how the swap products work out in the end. I'm going to PM you.

QUOTE=draab2006;20251690]Sure! The issue was the mid pipe that has both of the 90 degree bends in it was flared to accept a slip fit on the wrong end (short end instead of long end). This caused an issue where if the slip fit flared end was installed toward the headers (as it's depicted in the instructions), the bend comes too early and won't clear the transmission cross member. To get around this I just used my chop saw and cut off the same amount of pipe from the non slip fit end (the end that SHOULD have had a slip fit flare) and then welded the dual 90 degree bend pipe to the pipe that goes between it, and the drivers side header. From there, this left two flared slip fit ends abutting one another down the line, which I got around by sticking the piece of pipe I cut off between the two, and clamping both slip fit flared ends to the pipe segment that was cut off earlier. I have attached a picture of how it turned out to hopefully better explain it. Please forgive my boogery flux-core mig welds.

[/QUOTE]

Old 05-28-2020, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

I hate that you had issues with your exhaust, your swap is looking great and i believe you will be happy with how the swap products work out in the end. I'm going to PM you.
It's all good! For how well this kit went together, it's a very minor issue. Thanks to your thread, it gave me the inspiration I needed to go with the Holley Blackheart line, and I couldn't be happier. The truck so far is a blast to drive, and even being an Lq4 with just a cam, I can tell this thing is a monster.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by draab2006
Here’s a quick one backing it in the garage, hopefully the quality is okay. I’ll get a better one today.
Sounds real good! Glad it isn't a quiet exhaust.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevymec
Sounds real good! Glad it isn't a quiet exhaust.
It's not quiet, but does have quite a bit of interior drone at most RPM's. This is just the dumped version at the axles so it's to be expected. I ended up welding up tail pipes that take the exhaust up over the axle and dumps out of sight just before the roll pan. MUCH better at cruise now, but still absolutely screams when you get on it.

Quick Reply: 93 S10 LS Swap