Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First gen camaro, what size brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First gen camaro, what size brake booster

Anyone with a first gen camaro, what size power brake booster are you running? My brother is about to order a power disc conversion kit and we're wondering what booster size would be best for his 68 camaro. I've seen pictures and it looks like 11" will fit but want to see some close ups of how close different sized boosters are to the coil packs and what not. He also has the clutch master cylinder there somewhere. Problem is that the car is at our parents house in california but he's currently stationed in Alaska and i'm 6 hours away at college so it's difficult to tell what will fit! Thanks!
Old 03-12-2018, 04:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the stock booster, yes very tight. BUT, with a slight mod I have plenty of room.

I took the stock coil bracket, cut a V out to angle the coil but kept the stock bolt pattern, welded the notch up, and all is well in the world

before notching
First gen camaro, what size brake booster-img_20130901_163235_192.jpg
Old 03-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using a 9", dual diaphragm booster from Tuff Stuff performance and low angle mounting brackets from Detroit Speed. Fits great.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too had problem with clearance with the oem booster . I changed to a dual diaphragm and have plenty of clearance now .

I have the holley valve coves and had to reverse the mount on the rear coil to make it clear the oem booster . With the dual it will fit like its supposed to with no problem now .
Old 03-13-2018, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 539 Likes on 339 Posts

I'm using the same as Rickpaw, minus the DSE bracket and everything fits great.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I had no issues with the stock 11" booster and OEM coil brackets/location on my Nova using Dougs SK100 adpater plates in the 1/2" back position (although I did move my coils to the firewall later because I wanted them off the covers). A lot of the disc conversions use 8 or 9 inch dual diaphragm boosters. You should let braking performance / preference dictate booster size not clearance. Pedal feel / boost will depend on the combination of caliper piston sizes, rotor diameter, master cylinder diameter, booster, and available engine vacuum. I suggest talking with the conversion kit maker about what they recommend for your desired pedal response.