Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80 column shift issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 4l80 column shift issue

Went from a powerglide to a 80e. Kept it column shift by using the lokar rod linkage. Driving normally there’s no issue but when I step on it it’ll downshift on its own from od to 3rd. Wondering if anyone else had this issue. No binding in the linkage and Ive adjusted it shorter and longer.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bu
Went from a powerglide to a 80e. Kept it column shift by using the lokar rod linkage. Driving normally there’s no issue but when I step on it it’ll downshift on its own from od to 3rd. Wondering if anyone else had this issue. No binding in the linkage and Ive adjusted it shorter and longer.
Automatics do that. It's called "kickdown". You expect it to stay in 4th under hard acceleration? SMH.....
Old 05-09-2018, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Automatics do that. It's called "kickdown". You expect it to stay in 4th under hard acceleration? SMH.....
the column lever physically moves. But please, keep being a *****. It’s the internet way.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

the column lever physically moves. But please, keep being a *****. It’s the internet way.
I wasn't being a *****. YOU said the tranny shifted down, which it does when the pedal is punched. You did NOT say the shift lever moved! So be a little more careful about your wording if you want help on an issue. I just reacted to what you said above.
You might want to check for loose motor/tranny mounts. Sounds like something is moving around to cause this.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You've got a motor mount or the trans mount busted and moving around
Old 05-09-2018, 04:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL. Guess it was a good thing I put him on my ignore list
Old 05-09-2018, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
LOL. Guess it was a good thing I put him on my ignore list
The feeling's mutual..... lol
Old 05-09-2018, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

yea I bet its a motor or trans mount that is bad. Put car in gear and have some one hold the brake and give it some gas. IF it has a broke motor mount u will notice it.

Also check header, frame, and body clearance!
Old 05-11-2018, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it was obvious on what the OP was referring to as he stated he installed the Lokar linkage and had tried to adjust it.
Maybe the OP has to spell it out with a little drawing for certain people, that’s why in today’s world you have to make everything idiot proof, either way G Atsma gets a participation award, and stay away from those Tide laundry pods, no bueno if you eat them.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lizeec
I think it was obvious on what the OP was referring to as he stated he installed the Lokar linkage and had tried to adjust it.
Maybe the OP has to spell it out with a little drawing for certain people, that’s why in today’s world you have to make everything idiot proof, either way G Atsma gets a participation award, and stay away from those Tide laundry pods, no bueno if you eat them.
It was only obvious AFTER reading the following posts. THEN it all fell into place. Reading the first post alone would not allow your "obvious" conclusions to be drawn. There are those who love to pile on, AFTER the obvious is made clear.....
So you know about the Tide pods, huh? Sounds like personal experience....
Old 05-12-2018, 05:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

It was obvious to me after reading the initial post, I guess some are just slower and need a little drawing for them to understand. This is why McDonalds has to write the coffee is hot on their coffee cups?
Old 05-12-2018, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

I had the same issue.........Changed to their cable style and the problem went away........the engine movement caused the gear change........doesn't mean the mounts are broke......Hope this helps

Ken
Old 05-12-2018, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kwhizz
I had the same issue.........Changed to their cable style and the problem went away........the engine movement caused the gear change........doesn't mean the mounts are broke......Hope this helps

Ken
Thanks for the responses.

I’m running the factory column, do I need the 2” or 2 1/4” kit?