Sponsored by:

Suggestions on AC compressor reloaction

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Suggestions on AC compressor reloaction

Hello all,

As shown in the picture below, I finally got the 5.3 mounted in the 78 Caprice. I got these mounts thinking that the truck accessories would fit without modification. Untrue. As shown below, the compressor is going to interfere with the crossmember. I have the stock 2004 compressor, which is non-variable and I'd like to keep as many stock components on the engine as possible. I have searched on the site and found a lot of mention of relocating the compressor up top or notching the frame, but I don't like either of those options for this build.

Do you have any suggestions or have you seen fixes for this problem? I saw some mounts that move the compressor forward in line with the other accessories and only one belt is used, but all these mounts I've seen are for the sanden compressors. I haven't seen one for a stock Denso compressor. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,500 Posts

What are your objections to using the Sanden compressor? It is a very good unit. Holley has a bracket that puts the compressor higher on the passenger side that then uses the same belt as the rest of the accessories. The same setup is also available for the R4 compressor used in later GM cars. It looks like you will have to relocate the compressor. Notching the crossmember is a lot of work when a different bracket would solve the problem. The Holley parts are VERY well engineered.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Ive got a ls2 swapped 71 impala at the shop. We used ls simple bracket kit. Very nice brackets ans setup for the money. Comes with brackets, new ac compressor, pulleys and belt. Everything u need to bolt it on. Give him a call he will set u right up!
Old 07-08-2018, 10:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 198 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman61
I have searched on the site and found a lot of mention of relocating the compressor up top or notching the frame, but I don't like either of those options for this build.

Do you have any suggestions or have you seen fixes for this problem? I saw some mounts that move the compressor forward in line with the other accessories and only one belt is used, but all these mounts I've seen are for the sanden compressors. I haven't seen one for a stock Denso compressor. Any ideas anyone?
Mount it up high, notch the frame, or move it forward, those are really your only options, other than the 4th one which is to just sweat! It looks like you would have to move your motor mount if you notch the crossmember, and I'm guessing that's going to be beyond your skill set, no offence. Moving it forward requires just as much bracket swapping as a high mount, and you wont find one that uses the factory compressor. So if you have to have A/C, which I don't know why anyone would want to go without, I would take the other's advice and get a Sanden and an upper relocation bracket for it, which I too believe the Holley is the nicest one on the market, it's a cast piece and looks more factory than the multi piece ones that you have to bolt together.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,500 Posts

Want it fast and easy? Holley bracket + Sanden compressor. The bracket set is less than $200 for the A/C set by itself and get the correct offset mounting kit. It will put the compressor next to and a bit higher than the valve cover on the passenger side, will share the same belt as the rest of the accessories and look good doing it.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ill try to make this complicated and likely not worth the effort

the sanden should be fine but if you are set on running a factory comp, you could maybe look at one from a 96-98 silverado since it has a 6 rib pulley and should basically operate the same as the one you have now (please correct me if i'm wrong on this)
if you have a way to cut metal and drill holes you should be able to make a pretty simple plate for it to bolt to the holes the stock one uses to bolt to the block and get the pulley lined up with the other accessories.

another option might be to mount that compressor off the side of the alt/ps bracket on the driver's side
both of these would probably require adding some idlers as well

id also wonder if there's a way to swap a 6 rib pulley on the comp you have now

its always easier to throw money at these things but i like trying to find my own solutions if possible even if they're ugly as long as they're functional

i have an old dead 96-98 compressor if you want pics or wanted to mess around with it you can have it

Old 07-10-2018, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

After crawling all over the front of the car for the last two days I've determined my only options are to move a compressor forward up to the 6 rib position and stay down low, or get a high passenger side mount, which would also move the compressor to the 6 rib area.

I can't seem to find a company making brackets to move a compressor (stock or sanden) forward to run off the front pulley. I know it would involve running an idler and new tensioner.

Does anyone know of anything? I'd prefer to keep the compressor down low if possible.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on AC compressor reloaction