Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 mustang GT lm7/T56 swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rachaelhasav8

Trying to get power to the fuel pump. Only seems to prime the fuel pump through the ccrm, can’t get the fuel pump to work via GM side. Everything else is put together. Gotta figure out how to make the steering shaft fit and hook up the slave master cylinder
I don't think you can have the ccrm control anything to do with the fuel pump. Too many ford signals will be missing for it to work. I can tell you what I did on my last New edge. I just stole wires i needed for my relay right at the FPDM. It's got power going to it that is factory ford fused so there's your power. The wiring to the fuel pump is also right there. Then i just ran my GM PCM trigger back to that relay and boom.... you've got your fuel pump all wired. I mounted the relay right there and closed up the trim and it was done. What are you doing for a transmission? Did you end up picking up a t56? You were on the fence during your last post. I have a Z32 5 speed and had to convert to hydraulic so I ended up using the McLeod pull style master and just adapted from there. It was an expense i didn't anticipate but it feels awesome and I'm really happy with it so far. What did you use for exhaust manifolds? I would just put the stock steering shaft in normal and make a manifold work. I have Fbody ls1 manifolds and the passenger one fit with no modifications but the drivers I notched around my shaft and re-welded it. I have no idea if there are ones that fit tighter to the block but that's what I did. I also see you have a oil filter relocation setup. Did you have an issue fitting a stock one? What pan did you end up using? It looks like its really coming together you'll be happy you stuck with it!
Old 05-12-2020, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to give that a try for the fuel pump, thanks! Actually got the motor to turn on for like two seconds, first fire up was awesome! We ended up running two wires from the battery to the fuel hat haha, one power and the other ground just to hear the motor turn on. I did end up finding an 06 GTO T56 for a steal, came with the speed bleeder line and a b & m shifter with a button on it so I'm planning on wiring that button to the reverse lock out solenoid on the transmission. Doing the hydraulic conversion myself, I left it for last lol and now here I am. I got a Wilwood MC I'm going to attempt to hook up this week, sad news though I need to drop my trans to get to the slave and remove the stock feed line connected to it (since the OEM hydro line is like $100 and barely exists now) so I'm gonna do a -3 or -4 conversion with some Russell's fittings and braided hose from the slave to the MC itself. As for exhaust manifolds I have Speed Engineering ones that only fit with an AJE K member ( I have a UPR one with LS Swap mounts) so they didn't fit so I'm trying to sell them. I ended up buying some beat up pair of Dynatech's from a Foxbody, they fit with some BFH treatment but now the steering shaft doesn't fit with them on being they're for a fox and not a new edge, they're like $600 new so I'm just going to make it work somehow. As for the oil system, I went with the relocation kit and a Speedway Motors 7qt pan which doesn't have a spindle on it for a filter.
Once I drop the trans and get the line settled and install the MC, we're gonna also be cleaning up the wiring, hook up my fan, and figure out the steering shaft and she's off to get tuned! I do have HP tuners but I'm just going to delete VATS to see if I can get it to somewhat idle cuz I don't know much about tuning and don't want to damage the motor or fry the ECU out

Last edited by Rachaelhasav8; 05-12-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rachaelhasav8
We're going to give that a try for the fuel pump, thanks! Actually got the motor to turn on for like two seconds, first fire up was awesome! We ended up running two wires from the battery to the fuel hat haha, one power and the other ground just to hear the motor turn on. I did end up finding an 06 GTO T56 for a steal, came with the speed bleeder line and a b & m shifter with a button on it so I'm planning on wiring that button to the reverse lock out solenoid on the transmission. Doing the hydraulic conversion myself, I left it for last lol and now here I am. I got a Wilwood MC I'm going to attempt to hook up this week, sad news though I need to drop my trans to get to the slave and remove the stock feed line connected to it (since the OEM hydro line is like $100 and barely exists now) so I'm gonna do a -3 or -4 conversion with some Russell's fittings and braided hose from the slave to the MC itself. As for exhaust manifolds I have Speed Engineering ones that only fit with an AJE K member ( I have a UPR one with LS Swap mounts) so they didn't fit so I'm trying to sell them. I ended up buying some beat up pair of Dynatech's from a Foxbody, they fit with some BFH treatment but now the steering shaft doesn't fit with them on being they're for a fox and not a new edge, they're like $600 new so I'm just going to make it work somehow. As for the oil system, I went with the relocation kit and a Speedway Motors 7qt pan which doesn't have a spindle on it for a filter.
Once I drop the trans and get the line settled and install the MC, we're gonna also be cleaning up the wiring, hook up my fan, and figure out the steering shaft and she's off to get tuned! I do have HP tuners but I'm just going to delete VATS to see if I can get it to somewhat idle cuz I don't know much about tuning and don't want to damage the motor or fry the ECU out
I forget what did you end up doing for a motor? Did you go with a built 5.3 or just a junkyard one? If it's nothing special except for a cam i wouldn't write yourself off to get it running decent on your own. Tons of people here to help you out and there's good information out there. As far as the steering situation thats one of those things I don't like messing with just in case of a failure. I'd rather just get the exhaust to work around that shaft. I know there are solutions to move the shaft over but it's really up to you to figure out whats easier to redesign. A steering shaft setup or an exhaust manifold? I can promise you a stock set of ls1 fbody manifolds work with very little fabricating. They may not flow the best but it might get you by for now. Or you can go 2 forward manifolds into a turbo! That DEFINITELY works haha. I'm curious what you come up with but it's the home stretch now. PM if you want any help on what I did for that FPDM/relay wiring. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (05-13-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SwapStang
I forget what did you end up doing for a motor? Did you go with a built 5.3 or just a junkyard one? If it's nothing special except for a cam i wouldn't write yourself off to get it running decent on your own. Tons of people here to help you out and there's good information out there. As far as the steering situation thats one of those things I don't like messing with just in case of a failure. I'd rather just get the exhaust to work around that shaft. I know there are solutions to move the shaft over but it's really up to you to figure out whats easier to redesign. A steering shaft setup or an exhaust manifold? I can promise you a stock set of ls1 fbody manifolds work with very little fabricating. They may not flow the best but it might get you by for now. Or you can go 2 forward manifolds into a turbo! That DEFINITELY works haha. I'm curious what you come up with but it's the home stretch now. PM if you want any help on what I did for that FPDM/relay wiring. Good luck!
For the motor I did dual titanium valve springs, arp hardware, stock rockers and a cam. Stock bottom end. As for the steering shaft I figured out how to get my driver side speed engineering header on with a lot of hammering lol it’s gonna look off with a black dyna tech header and the other being a shiny speed engineering but hey it works and they’re both the same size. Nothing permanent. Now we’re trying to figure out how to get the clutch master cylinder on. Wilwood. Found a few different ways of modifying the stock clutch mechanism with a home made bracket and some pics which are helpful so I’m going to be working on that this week.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Junkyard motor for the win

Quick Reply: 03 mustang GT lm7/T56 swap