Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to reprogram on a PCM

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018 | 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Things to reprogram on a PCM

Hey guys,
I've been making a list of things to consider when having someone reprogram my PCM. Is there anything else you guys can think of that I may need to consider to add to the list:
  • Rear 02 sensor (delete)
  • evap solenoid (delete)
  • Dual electric fans to be activated by the PCM
  • Keep cruise control (drive by wire)
  • VATs delete (vehicle theft)
  • Traction Control (delete)
  • ABS (delete)
  • Sniff Test (This county has emissions that require sensors in the exhaust. Passing this can depend on the type of tune)
  • Activate PCM to run the type of Air Condition setup that I will be running (can used variable or fixed compressor depending on PCM setup (analog or serial cycling))
  • Tire Size
  • Rear end ratio
  • Engine temp that will cut off electric fans (if pcm is controlling electric fans)
  • Engine speed to cut off off electric fans
  • Drive by wire or Drive by cable
  • Your suggestion here....

Last edited by Vetteman61; 10-11-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2018 | 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Are you running cats in the exhaust? If so you need the rear O2 sensors. If not ignore this..
Old 08-23-2018 | 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Are you running cats in the exhaust? If so you need the rear O2 sensors. If not ignore this..
I run cats without the rear O2's. The rear O2 doesn't control engine function --- only there to help monitor condition of the cat. Millions of OEM's built before OBDII with cats and no rear O2's. FWIW.
Old 08-23-2018 | 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just study lt1swap.com. It will tell you everything you need to know.

I just realized I've already told you this at least once before. I don't know why I'm having to repeat myself.
Old 08-24-2018 | 02:19 AM
Staging Lane

Is the ABS and Traction Control delete mandatory for full driveability? Or is it just to keep fault codes and engine lights to a minimum?
Old 08-24-2018 | 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Below from PSI Conversions website. This is what they did to the 08 Corvette (E38) ECU in mine. And even though they're present -- I don't use the electric fan activation from the ECU, I have a separate PWM controller for that; my speedo is an old cable driven unit that doesn't use the corrected speed data. So I think VATS, rear O2 delete and charcoal canister purge valve operation are all I needed done on mine. Perhaps the older ECU's require more work.

APPLICATION: 2006 - NEWER 58X LS3, L76, AND VORTEC ENGINES

PARTS INCLUDED: E38 PCM with PROGRAMMING

NOTES: THIS INCLUDES A USED ECM (W/ WARRANTY) AND PROGRAMMING FOR ANY STOCK ENGINE APPLICATION LISTED ABOVE. PSI PROGRAMMING INCLUDES CORRECT OPERATING SYSTEM AND THE FOLLOWING:
  • REMOVAL OF VEHICLE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM (VATS)
  • DISABLE EMISSIONS / REAR OXYGEN SENSORS
  • LOWERING OF COOLING FAN TEMPERATURES
  • UPDATES FOR CORRECT TIRE SIZE AND GEAR RATIO
**FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY**

At lt1swap.com Brendan says this about re-programming ECU's ---

"PCM Programming service for your engine swap project or stock vehicle. I program all swap PCMs to remove anti-theft system that will cause a "start and die" condition. Sometimes this is referred to as VATS. I enable cooling fans for all swap applications, and change fan on and off temperatures. I can adjust for different injector size depending on if I have the data for them. I can program for different transmission options as well I WILL NOT be able to offer custom tunes for modified engines. (aftermarket cam, boost, heads etc) I do not lock any PCM I program, and will be compatible with popular tuning software after I am done."

No mention of the evap purge valve or rear O2 delete - but I'm guessing that's likely due to potential liability (environmental) issues - note PSI's "off road use only" disclaimer. I'm not suggested Brendan won't do it -- just that it doesn't seem to be mentioned. Perhaps 8.lug above can give us a specific link to something more relevant from the lt1swap site.
Old 08-24-2018 | 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure if the traction control and ABS delete is absolutely necessary, but I suspected, as you mentioned, that it would eliminate the potential for trouble codes.

Thanks for the response. As new ideas are brought up I'll add them to the original list so if this thread is searched in the future it may help out someone else.

8Lug, I've obviously already looked at the LT1 site. It's already been documented that the LT1site is VERY helpful and we're all thankful for the help it offers, but it is by no means comprehensive, nor are the single opinions found on that website or any other website. There is merit in obtaining information from a group, pulling from the experience of many different individuals with many different automotive setups. I'll give you an example: Had I simply just "looked at the LT1Swap site," I'd be using a fusebox which doesn't exactly fit my needs and I would regret its limited capabilities. Fortunately, I sought the opinions beyond that website. I searched other websites and I also polled the vast experience of as many people as I could, which means I searched the forum and then also posted the question on the forum. Lots of people have information that they hold, but have not posted. New ideas and solutions are constantly being invented. This is the best way to make informed decisions. I'm not sure why I would have to explain that.
Old 08-24-2018 | 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
I run cats without the rear O2's. The rear O2 doesn't control engine function --- only there to help monitor condition of the cat. Millions of OEM's built before OBDII with cats and no rear O2's. FWIW.
Good point! You're right, not needed.
Old 08-24-2018 | 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
I just realized I've already told you this at least once before. I don't know why I'm having to repeat myself.
Many of us wonder the same thing. Probably you like to see your crap in print, even repeatedly.

Old 09-04-2018 | 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I added some more to the list in the first post.
Old 09-05-2018 | 10:49 AM
Launching!
5 Year Member

When I sent my PCM to Brendan at LT1swap there was a list of questions asked about the setup which determines whats programmed. Most of your list is covered from what I remember. I just got my swap running and have no engine lights and it runs good.