Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know about HPT Vin swaps for swap applications?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018 | 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

Default Anyone know about HPT Vin swaps for swap applications?

I completed a 5.3/T56 swap in a 2006 Chevy Colorado using a E67 PCM from a 2006 Cadillac CTS-V. Is it possible to write my original VIN onto the E67 PCM? The Colorado originally ran OS # 12593533 but it used a P12 PCM. Similar in shape and size to an E67 but totally different.
Old 10-01-2018 | 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I'm hoping someone smarter than me comes along and can give you better information. My experience was this.. I swapped a 6.0L into my '02 Silverado. I then burned the ORIGINAL (V6) vin into my computer... BIG MISTAKE! After doing that my tach was off, and also I could only see misfire data for 6 cylinders (missing 7 & 8). I guess even HP tuners uses the VIN and once I put a V6 VIN into my PCM.. It all went to ****. When I tried to burn back the original VIN that was on the PCM-HP Tuners then would not allow me to do it without paying another $100... So.. Unless you get some really good advise from someone who has 1st hand experience doing it... I'd not try it.

You also might get more eyes looking at this post if you post it in the PCM TUNING forum.
Old 10-01-2018 | 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Simply put with HP Tuners the answer is no.
HP Tuners uses the VIN and several other factors to authenticate the PCM and thus license it. Changing the VIN messes this up.
HP Tuners also has a built in checks and balances so it won't (typically) allow you to write a VIN that wasn't possible with that specific OS / hardware combination.

There ARE applications you can write the VIN and not disturb anything else, however you lose HP Tuners as a tool to license the PCM normally. HP Tuners can license to a mismatched VIN / OS but you lose upgrade credit potential.

If you aren't using HP Tuners, I can't say as that is the OEM capable flash tuning I'm most familiar with.

Another side effect is what Kawabuggy mentioned... sometimes various routines in the PCM are tied to a specific VIN series. In his case the V6 VIN only allowed V6 things to work. I believe this could be fixed but it is a potential concern.
Honestly unless you NEED to have the proper VIN in the vehicle, I would skip the hassle as there are too many variables that can go wrong making it impractical for most circumstances.