Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another '72 short bed build....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,404 Posts

BlueMaxCougar and Cheese Weasel nailed my thoughts! The colors are not what I would have chosen out of the blue. But they FLAT WORK!
And as far as the stance, the numbers above will set things right to my eyes. NICE WORK!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info and the pictures on the compressor AC lines. I am planning a swap into an '84 this summer and have always liked the way your lines come out on your builds.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truck looks awesome, I love the color! We'll have to get by and see it up close.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=ls1nova71;20072412]Door panels all cleaned up and installed.

Then got the tires and wheels all mounted up! cant wait to put them on so I don't have to look at those crappy rollers any more!!!

They are US Mags Ramblers, 20x8 in the front and 20x9.5 in the rear. Couldn't wait to see what they looked like so threw one on the front real quick for a sneak peek. I like them!

I’ll take one of your books. Nice build. What are the off set on those wheels. Man this is really turning out very nice. Always love that color combo don’t se that around much.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=ls1nova71;20072383]Yeah, I took some pics, but didn't post all of them. Anyway, the compressor fittings are made from factory lines with barbed fittings TIG'd on the ends. The low side is the original compressor fitting with maybe an inch of the original line left on it and a 45* fitting welded to it. It clears the frame with very little trimming required, but the down side is in order to keep the #12 hose straight, the fitting curves over the top of the bolt hole. The bolt goes in with no problem, but you can't get a socket on it to tighten it, you have to use a wrench, but that's not a big deal to me since it isn't something that gets taken off a lot. The other side of that hose is a factory low side line that comes out of the accumulator which has a straight barbed fitting welded to it. You can see them in this pic if you really look.

The high side line is something I have been doing for years, and works super slick! It is a line off of the condenser of a 99-07ish Tahoe, Suburban, or any other of those kind of SUVs. Trucks don't use the same lines for some reason, so it has to be from an SUV. I then had a barbed fitting welded to the end and bent the line to clear the frame. Again, you have to tighten it with a wrench because its under the frame rail, but it clears perfectly. The modified line is on top, with an unmodified, straight from the junk yard one on bottom in this pic.

It's hard to get a decent pic of them installed in the truck, but this is what they look like when all is said and done.

You can see where I slightly trimmed the frame for the low side line clearance in the last pic, and it looks like it is hitting it from that angle, but its got plenty of clearance, its just hard to get a pic of it.
The attention to details are shown on this truck just by those hose clamps. I’m also **** about the way my clamps are facing and how level the are. Very nice.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by daaaanz67
I’ll take one of your books. Nice build. What are the off set on those wheels. Man this is really turning out very nice. Always love that color combo don’t se that around much.
I'll let you know if I write a book, but wouldn't hold my breath if I were you! LOL! The wheels are off the shelf wheels and not custom built so the offset is pretty standard down the center of the wheel, 4" on the fronts and I believe 5" on the rear.
Originally Posted by daaaanz67
The attention to details are shown on this truck just by those hose clamps. I’m also **** about the way my clamps are facing and how level the are. Very nice.
Its nice to see people notice things like that, most people don't I think. I always install the clamps, mark the excess, then remove them, cut the excess off, sand the edges smooth and reinstall. It makes for a cleaner install.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Getting real close to wrapping this thing up. Got the seat installed so the interior is just about finished up, if only I could find the bezel to the Alpine.... Oh, and need to change out the aux cable mess that's hanging down under the dash...

This pic reminds me of a brochure picture. I love the Custom Deluxe seat!

On the front fenders where they used to have emblems that said 8-350, I added some Vortec emblems off the hood of a newer truck. I'm so used to there being an engine designation under the marker that it looks funny without anything there so these fit the bill pretty well I think.

I actually drove her around the block today, open manifolds and all! LOL! Took some better pics in the street to see how the stance was. This pic is just about the same spot where I pushed the bare frame out last summer.

Last edited by ls1nova71; 04-13-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I swapped the 4" drop springs out for a set of 5" drops and I think the back looks better, but the front needs to come up about 1/2" to 3/4" or maybe even an inch to look a little better. Not sure how to do that with any degree of accuracy though... I have a set of V8 springs I can put in it, but then will have to trim to get it right, and that could take several attempts, not fun on a coil spring front end.

After my drive around the block, I vacuumed the A/C down but only had one can of R134a, so its still not done, will have to get more to finish it up and see if the air works. Would probably help if it was a little warmer out too, hard to tell if the vent temps are cool when its only around 55* outside.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice man, now what's next
Old 04-13-2019, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 243
Nice man, now what's next
Burnouts?
Old 04-17-2019, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trucks looks great.

I saw this and thought of you.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Wife just told me about that yesterday. Crazy.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Wife just told me about that yesterday. Crazy.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I guess since this truck is basically done, its not going to hurt the thread if it goes off the rails a bit... Now, don't anybody take it personally, because I get it, when people see Trucksters they think of me, but if I see that damn car one more time I'm going to have a melt down! LOL!!! That car sold for what it did because the guy who built it has connections. The auctioneer said it was built specifically for Beverly D'Angelo, which I'm pretty sure was total BS. The builder just had her there to sign it and to make it more appealing, as that's his deal. He builds replica movie cars and then has someone from the movie be on hand when it sells at auction, he's done it many times. But the worst part of that car is how inaccurate it is, I mean even the color is way off! The trim is not in the right locations, its all squared off and not rounded like it should be, the vents on the quarter panels are totally wrong, and the front bumper wasn't modified at all!! Its like they didn't even look at the movie car when building it..... Anyway, I'll stop my rant now, but just for kicks, here are some screen shots from the movie, pics of my car and then pics of the BJ car, I'll let you all decide if it was truly worth almost $100k.......

Old 04-17-2019, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 557 Likes on 394 Posts

Can you give me a quick run down on the motor in the truck?
Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Can you give me a quick run down on the motor in the truck?
Its bone stock with a GM muscle car pan and TBSS exhaust manifolds. What exactly did you want to know about?
Old 04-18-2019, 06:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 557 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Its bone stock with a GM muscle car pan and TBSS exhaust manifolds. What exactly did you want to know about?
5.3 or 6.0?
Old 04-30-2019, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

I agree with your rant and thought the same thing while watching the video and said "wait a sec, this isn't right..." so many times he might as well have just called it a custom and not a replica. I literally think it sold for what it did because of a few autographs and a signed story from one of the people in the movie. WTF.

Back to topic.
I got to see this truck completely assembled and running for the first time Saturday and all I can say is holy cow this thing is WAY NICE! Just like all your builds it attracts a crowd wherever it's parked. If you think it looks good in pictures, you really need to see it in person, the level of detail and finish work is just amazing.

Ironically yesterday I saw an un-restored C10 in the same livery and thought of this one.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

I agree with your rant and thought the same thing while watching the video and said "wait a sec, this isn't right..." so many times he might as well have just called it a custom and not a replica. I literally think it sold for what it did because of a few autographs and a signed story from one of the people in the movie. WTF.

Back to topic.
I got to see this truck completely assembled and running for the first time Saturday and all I can say is holy cow this thing is WAY NICE! Just like all your builds it attracts a crowd wherever it's parked. If you think it looks good in pictures, you really need to see it in person, the level of detail and finish work is just amazing.

Ironically yesterday I saw an un-restored C10 in the same livery and thought of this one.
Everyone, including some women, had a hard for Bev D in the '80s and early '90s I guess some people never let it go and paid out the nose for a replicar.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the compliments! Did the unrestored one you saw have primered bedsides? There is '71 Cheyenne that runs around here that is that way so may be the truck you saw.

Anyway, got the exhaust done Saturday morning.

Took this pic just because I thought it looks cool with the rear sway bar...

Left side just about done.

Then loaded up on my buddy's trailer for the ride home.

Once I got it home, I drove it to the gas station and put about half a tank of gas in it, then just drove it around some, went by another buddy's house to check out his project then came back home. Everything seemed to be doing good so I decided to take it to the cruise night in Belton MO. That's about 30 miles one way from my house, so it was a good shake down run.

After the show I drove home the long way and other than the rear brakes wanting to lock up before the front when stopping real quick, and the front end needing a little more work in the alignment, it drove great! Put about 90 miles on it Saturday. but, then the weather went to crap and I haven't had it back out since.... Hopefully the weather is better by the weekend....

I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out, and although I didn't make some timeline goals I originally set out to make, I think I did alright, started it April 19 2018, and took it to its first show April 27 2019.

Last edited by ls1nova71; 04-30-2019 at 11:09 PM.