Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another '72 short bed build....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

the cab is very clean. are you keeping the cab markers?
Old 02-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueMaxCougar
That tranny and engine looks real slick.

Here's what I get. when I view some of your pics.

I would either try a "Ctrl-F5" refresh (if you're on a PC) or clearing your browser's cache & reloading the page.

OP, your project is looking really nice, it's giving me some motivation to get back out in the garage & knock some of the dust off of my project!!
Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure what browser you're running, I use Chrome and Firefox - never anything by Microsoft. Another thought is to check your internet service provider for c*ck3d up service. My old ISP couldn't deliver the speeds they claimed. After several attempts at getting it right I happily fired them.

Everything loads fine for me. One thing I've noticed (and I'm on very fast internet and a fast laptop) is this forum has gotten progressively slower over the past few years. The ads seem to take more resources and the forum hosted pictures load slower.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I'm not sure what browser you're running, I use Chrome and Firefox - never anything by Microsoft. Another thought is to check your internet service provider for c*ck3d up service. My old ISP couldn't deliver the speeds they claimed. After several attempts at getting it right I happily fired them.

Everything loads fine for me. One thing I've noticed (and I'm on very fast internet and a fast laptop) is this forum has gotten progressively slower over the past few years. The ads seem to take more resources and the forum hosted pictures load slower.
I've noticed the same thing. It got way worse since they started putting Related Threads right below the one being viewed. Plus the ads loading make the frame jump up and down while loading. This place is getting junkier all the time.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I've noticed the same thing. It got way worse since they started putting Related Threads right below the one being viewed. Plus the ads loading make the frame jump up and down while loading. This place is getting junkier all the time.
I agree that is why I took a hiatus for a bit. On my laptop these pages often do the sit and spin forever trying to load all the bloody adverts. I typically just stop the page load because it clearly isn't going anywhere. Apparently the owners of this site don't realize there is a maximum number of ads people and their devices are able to handle (think photo puke bucket if you aren't a member) before it renders even the most high powered race car of a computer into quivering hunk of slime. I have a pretty fast computer (not the fastest but far from slow), really fast internet and this site is one of the slowest I go to that is based in the same country I'm currently located in.

The annoying suggested thread crap can be turned off in your control panel. It took me a while to find it but it's there. Go to User Control Panel \ Settings and Options \ Edit Options \ scroll to Thread Display Options \ look for Related Threads at the bottom of that box and click disable.

I also disabled the infinite scroll option since I dislike FB and don't care for the infinite scrolling web page format they and a few others helped make famous.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

It would blow me away if the Admin-types here noticed these posts and actually DID something about it, but I have a hunch the ad dollars reign supreme at the expense of operational efficiency. Besides, I doubt any of them actually give a flyin' rip about anything we think anyway.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Having worked in the corporate world for a long time... I'll just say I agree with you.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
I would either try a "Ctrl-F5" refresh (if you're on a PC) or clearing your browser's cache & reloading the page.

OP, your project is looking really nice, it's giving me some motivation to get back out in the garage & knock some of the dust off of my project!!
It's only that one pic. I have my browser set to clear cache and cookies when I click off.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

remarkably little rust for a PNW truck.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffs55chevy
the cab is very clean. are you keeping the cab markers?
Funny you should ask that..... I know a lot of the value of this cab is the fact that it has the factory marker lights with the raised portion where they mount, but being as it's a 2wd short bed, I couldn't leave them. So, roof swap time! If you noticed the cut off cab top by the fence in some of the other pics, that isnt where the new top came from
That top also had cab lights, and my buddy wanted them for his 3/4 ton 4x4, so I swapped that roof on his truck, which gave me a nice plain roof for mine.

Now I dont know how many spot welds it takes to hold a cab top on, but I know how many they used!!!!

The answer is A LOT of spot welds.

Test fitting the new roof skin.

Marked where it needed to be cut for a clean but weld.

Welded up and ground smooth. Doing the top this way requires the least amount of filler.

Last edited by ls1nova71; 05-28-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Now I dont know how many spot welds it takes to hold a cab top on, but I know how many they used!!!!
The answer is A LOT of spot welds.
They call me... spot weld driller...

I thought the same thing when I did the floor on my car. I think someone at the factory is paranoid or maybe they got paid per spot weld. Hahaha!
Old 02-04-2019, 06:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, there's about nothing more fun than drilling spot welds......And if they did in fact get paid per spot weld, who ever did this truck is probably still rich to this day..
Originally Posted by truckdoug
remarkably little rust for a PNW truck.
It is a pretty solid truck, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that it had a chassis mounted camper on it its whole life. It was covered by the overhang, and most likely not driven in any really bad weather. It did have a couple minor places that were fixed however, mostly from sitting with moisture absorbing materials in bad places.... This mouse nest is an example.

Cut this rust spot out

Made a patch to be but welded in.

Once that was done I started mocking up the A/C since this wasn't a factory air truck.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree that is why I took a hiatus for a bit. On my laptop these pages often do the sit and spin forever trying to load all the bloody adverts. I typically just stop the page load because it clearly isn't going anywhere. Apparently the owners of this site don't realize there is a maximum number of ads people and their devices are able to handle (think photo puke bucket if you aren't a member) before it renders even the most high powered race car of a computer into quivering hunk of slime. I have a pretty fast computer (not the fastest but far from slow), really fast internet and this site is one of the slowest I go to that is based in the same country I'm currently located in.

The annoying suggested thread crap can be turned off in your control panel. It took me a while to find it but it's there. Go to User Control Panel \ Settings and Options \ Edit Options \ scroll to Thread Display Options \ look for Related Threads at the bottom of that box and click disable.

I also disabled the infinite scroll option since I dislike FB and don't care for the infinite scrolling web page format they and a few others helped make famous.
Gofast....Thanks for this tidbit. I went and turned all that **** off, now the page loads quicker.....just like Microsoft, add on stuff you don't care for, and never ask or give the option....

Ls1nova...she's coming right along, looking good....

T,

T,
Old 02-05-2019, 05:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Cut the vent holes in the dash for the A/C vents.

Center vent.

Then did the sacrilegious cutting of the radio hole in the dash. Welded the center up first because a din size radio is actually smaller than the factory one, so you end up with a gap at either the top or bottom. Welding it up let's you center it up. Also filled in the sides where the old ***** were because you can see them too if you dont.

Then welded up the throttle cable hole in the firewall since I'm going with DBW.

No need for that old speedo cable hole either...
Old 02-05-2019, 05:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Fixed the small rust hole in the right front fender.

Test fitted the side trim

Then I found a couple small pin holes of rust in the left rocker panel... So I cut the bottom of the whole thing off and replaced it with a partial rocker I had.

Then from there it was bodywork. Sand, primer , sand, repeat....

Etching primer applied to the bare metal spots.

Then more primer....
Old 02-05-2019, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

you are so damn good at the hardest part of restos

it's unfair!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

it's unfair!
No, it's called crazy. Haha!!!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, it's called crazy. Haha!!!
And it's contagious..... REALLY contagious.... and nobody cares.... lol
Old 02-05-2019, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

it's unfair!
Well, its because 16 year old me thought it would be a good idea to become a bodyman, so I took a couple years of VoTech autobody, then worked in a body shop right out of high school. Found out it wasn't as much fun as I thought, then worked in industrial painting for years before ending up as an auto mechanic that I never really wanted to be. It's funny how things work out, but without that experience I wouldn't be able to do what I do, because there's no way I could ever afford to pay to have this stuff done.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by G Atsma
And it's contagious..... REALLY contagious.... and nobody cares.... lol
Sadly this is true. The only ones who notice are other car guys... what a sad state of affairs we're in. Haha!