Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 harness out of 2001 Camaro to stand alone harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 harness out of 2001 Camaro to stand alone harness

I'm looking for information on where to cut the harness from out of a donor 01 Camaro in order to make a LS stand alone harness. I can find numerous articles on what to do AFTER it's cut out but nothing on where it needs to be cut in order to be removed from the car? Do you just cut at the firewall behind the PCM or do I need components from the interior of the car since the ODBII is in there? Just wondering what other people have successfully done.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

You take it out in 1 piece, and then remove the unneeded wiring.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Right, I get that but the harness is combined with headlights, tail lights, everything that connects to it from the instrument cluster that goes into the dash if I just "take it out in one piece" since they're all interwoven together in the harness loom. If I do that I'm removing the dash, center console, and most of the interior since it is all interconnected through the wire looms. I need to know where it is easiest to cut it in order to save me from removing as much as possible. I'll split the loom and de-wire what I don't need once I have it out of the car and re-pin the module and its connector once it's out of the car where it will be easier.

Last edited by kyphur; 02-11-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

You don't have to cut it anywhere, there are like 5 connectors that you unplug and the engine harness will be separate from the rest of the car's wiring.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You don't have to cut it anywhere, there are like 5 connectors that you unplug and the engine harness will be separate from the rest of the car's wiring.
Sweet. Do you have the locations of those or a link to where those are? My harness has a small set of wires that goes from the loom and into the firewall through a rubber grommet right behind where the PCM sat but no connectors that are visible for that to be taken out. The loom also has the forward wiring for the front lights and all that integrated in it. I was wanting to remove it and disassemble with it being outside of the car due to the way the car is positioned right now. But I'm not seeing any connectors that are just "plug-able" for a quick disconnect/reconnect scenario.

If what your'e saying is true it sounds like I'm going to be taking it out of the looms and looking for the connectors while it's in the car which is kind of what I wanted to avoid.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Pop that rubber grommet out and there will be a blue and a white connector to unplug behind it. The others are about a foot or so from the PCM and are big weather pack connectors.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Okay, so just went out and checked it really quick and I found the 4-5 connectors that were on the passenger side fender and disconnnected those but I think there's some "custom work" done on the harness from before I had it. There's a newer looking wire loom that goes directly past those and into the front bumper cover. Also so a part on the fat wire loom near the PCM connectors where it was burnt/melted looking and a new loom is bumped up against it and taped.

There's 16 wires that run from that harness near the PCM connectors that run into the firewall on that side behind the PCM. That's the main thing I was wondering if I needed to cut or just try to open the loom and pull them a part. Is there a connector for those in the wiring harness that the guy before me maybe wrapped up in the fat loom somehow?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Pop that rubber grommet out and there will be a blue and a white connector to unplug behind it. The others are about a foot or so from the PCM and are big weather pack connectors.

Dude you rock. I will buy you a case of your favorite suds.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Happy to help. I just remembered I had that harness lying around so I dug it out to make sure I was remembering correctly!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Not a problem and thank you for all the help!