Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound after trying to start swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9outofs10
My setup is shutoff from a kill switch so the starter isn't getting any power when I shutdown. Plus I would think the noise would be more.. violent sounding? It honestly sounds like metal contracting after being heated up.. however it occurs even when it's cold. It's odd. Everything looks good sensor wise on my end. 14afr when idling, 180 degrees. The only thing I could think of is I'm not running an intercooler and I'm using a Holley Hi-Ram.. so I considered it could be excessive heat. But it looks like OP is using an LS1/6 intake and having the same problem.. so who knows.

Are you DBW?
Just tried cranking with a different starter and it doesn’t make the noise every time but did do it once. Also noticed my throttle blade is open a small amount-I’m assuming with engine off it should be closed all the way?
Regardless def not the starter.
I also tried cranking with the TB and MAF unplugged and it made no difference although this time it only made the ticking sound once after several attempts to crank.
All coils are getting power now though-12.5 with key on and 10.5V while cranking. Is this enough?
Tomorrow I’ll try injectors from another car.

Last edited by sean byrd; 07-31-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sean byrd
Are you DBW?
Just tried cranking with a different starter and it doesn’t make the noise every time but did do it once. Also noticed my throttle blade is open a small amount-I’m assuming with engine off it should be closed all the way?
Regardless def not the starter.
I also tried cranking with the TB and MAF unplugged and it made no difference although this time it only made the ticking sound once after several attempts to crank.
All coils are getting power now though-12.5 with key on and 10.5V while cranking. Is this enough?
Tomorrow I’ll try injectors from another car.
DBC.. using a Warr 92mm throttle body, Holley Terminator X and Snake Eater 1500cc injectors. My cranking amps are 11.8ish with a charged battery.

Ticking sound after trying to start swap?-qecemls.jpg
Old 07-31-2019, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Yours is just cranking? Not staying running?
Old 07-31-2019, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Yours is just cranking? Not staying running?
Yea long story but the car has been fighting me every step of the way. Almost there. Tomorrow I’m going to try injectors-hopefully mine are just gummed up from sitting.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sean byrd
Yea long story but the car has been fighting me every step of the way. Almost there. Tomorrow I’m going to try injectors-hopefully mine are just gummed up from sitting.
So silly suggestion but I just ran into this. Make sure you have fuel in the tank. Mine was acting up too and my fuel pressure went down to 33psi and a seriously high AFR. I was out of fuel lol
Old 07-31-2019, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

My DBW setup made a similar because it was either bad or not compatible with the rest of my setup. The noise stopped as soon as I changed the throttle body, I'm running a Holley EFI setup.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 PM
Launching!

So silly suggestion but I just ran into this. Make sure you have fuel in the tank. Mine was acting up too and my fuel pressure went down to 33psi and a seriously high AFR. I was out of fuel lol
Just added about 5 gals a couple weeks ago.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
My DBW setup made a similar because it was either bad or not compatible with the rest of my setup. The noise stopped as soon as I changed the throttle body, I'm running a Holley EFI setup.
I bought my tac and pedal as a matching set. Harness is from an ‘04 Silverado and the TB is the similar year truck TB.
Im not getting any related codes either and I’ve already unlocked VATS with hp tuners.