Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM/BCM communication

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019 | 04:09 PM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

Default ECM/BCM communication

My engine/trans swap is almost complete.
L76/6L80 from Pontiac G8 GT into 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L
after my tuner gets VATS removed will the ECM communicate with the BCM.
im really wanting the A/C, remote start, TUTD, cruise control and other things to work.
The high speed LAN communication wires have all been terminated into the vehicle.
thanks
Old 08-23-2019 | 08:00 PM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

I got the BCM from the doner car today. I guess we will find out.
Old 08-23-2019 | 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Curious to see what happens
Old 08-25-2019 | 05:03 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

I would love to see/hear more of what it took/you did to make this swap happen. Lots of people have said that is a very difficult swap.
Old 08-27-2019 | 09:45 AM
Teching In

You are doing the exact swap that I would love to do in the future. Would love to see some pics and more information about it.
Old 08-31-2019 | 06:11 AM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by LS BRAVADA
I got the BCM from the doner car today. I guess we will find out.
I swapped in the G8 GT BCM
it did not work and I had other alarms as well (locked radio, ect).
tuner scheduled to remove security

Old 09-02-2019 | 06:34 PM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

Did a 30 minute security relearn and the engine fires for two seconds at a time.
now just need my tuner to get out here and do his magic.
Old 09-02-2019 | 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

VATS is still in use.
Old 09-02-2019 | 08:30 PM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by G Atsma
VATS is still in use.
Yes, that's why I need my tuner to remove it
Old 09-02-2019 | 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Hope it works. If I can get a similar combo into a CTS wagon I know what my next car purchase will be.
Old 09-12-2019 | 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS BRAVADA
I swapped in the G8 GT BCM
it did not work and I had other alarms as well (locked radio, ect).
tuner scheduled to remove security
sorry to bug you but i posted in your other thread and came over here to look and this was the last update I saw

any progress on getting the bcm to work with the other modules (radio, antitheft, etc)

i assume disabling vats takes care of the antitheft but obiously theres alot of other modules on the can bus that you probably want working.

i've worked on some similar stuff and it seems hit or miss though i've heard some say that the vin's in the ecm and bcm need to match. i'm sure its deeper than that but just looking to learn some new info if you don't mind sharing
Old 09-12-2019 | 04:27 PM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 350SS
sorry to bug you but i posted in your other thread and came over here to look and this was the last update I saw

any progress on getting the bcm to work with the other modules (radio, antitheft, etc)

i assume disabling vats takes care of the antitheft but obiously theres alot of other modules on the can bus that you probably want working.

i've worked on some similar stuff and it seems hit or miss though i've heard some say that the vin's in the ecm and bcm need to match. i'm sure its deeper than that but just looking to learn some new info if you don't mind sharing
When I swapped in the G8 BCM I had locked radio along with some other goofy stuff going on so I reinstalled the stock CTS
BCM. I did the 30 minute key relearn process (took two tries) and the key started the engine but only ran for two seconds at
a time because of VATS in the donor ECM. I had my tuner remove VATS with HPtuners. The engine starts, runs and all the fans, A/C tack, gauges and TUTD work. The ECM/TCM communicate with ABS, headlight module, BCM and any other module it needs to through the high speed LAN communication wires. Everything seems to be working correctly as of now
except for my remote start for some reason. The car is still on jack stands and ran it through all six speeds in the sport mode
(TUTD) although I get a stability warning because only the rear wheels are turning.
Old 09-12-2019 | 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats really cool that all that stuff works with the swap. i wonder if the vats system has to be in place for the remote start to work?
not sure how important it is to you to get it to work but if you haven't already, maybe have your guy change the ecm vin to match the bcm vin (i'm thinking its the one that matches the car itself) and then somewhere in hptuners there's a function to "relink vats" or something like that which basically should do what you did with the 30 min relearn procedure.
Old 09-12-2019 | 07:05 PM
TECH Regular
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 350SS
thats really cool that all that stuff works with the swap. i wonder if the vats system has to be in place for the remote start to work?
not sure how important it is to you to get it to work but if you haven't already, maybe have your guy change the ecm vin to match the bcm vin (i'm thinking its the one that matches the car itself) and then somewhere in hptuners there's a function to "relink vats" or something like that which basically should do what you did with the 30 min relearn procedure.
If remote start is all that dosent work I would be ok with that. The only time I use remote start on any of my other vehicles is to warm it up in the winter. i will have him check with hp tuners when I get this thing on the road. Thanks
Old 05-17-2020 | 10:31 AM
Teching In
5 Year Member

Default So what are the minimum connections to get the BCM talking?

I have a 08 G8GT 6.0 and 6L80E. ECM, TCM and TU/TD shifter and pedal in my 66 Malibu runniNg and driving.
i woul like to add the BCM for TU/TD initially but Cruise control, nutural safety switch, backup lights and such down the road.
i have read alot and my thinking is if I can provide power (switched and constant) and GMLan + and - for both high and low speed bus. I think that will provide communications to ECU and TCU.
then its a matter of wiring in the connections to the shifter on the x1 thru x5 plugs that will provide TU/TD communications to the TCU.
Also can anyone tell me if there is a harness that ties to the BCM as a stand alone thing or are there just a bunch of terminals in the dash harness?
i will need the connectors to move forward.

Last edited by Toddah; 05-17-2020 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Correction

Quick Reply: ECM/BCM communication