Sponsored by:

Newbie, Gen 5 - Scout 800 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, Gen 5 - Scout 800 build

Hi all,

I'm new here and wanted to share my build, and also get some advice for a few of the typical Gen 5 gremlins that arise during a LT swap.

I have a '71 Scout 800, sitting on a Land Rover Disco 1 frame, and I'll be squeezing in a Gen 5 L83/6l80 with the Land Rover LT230 transfer case.

Early model Scouts came with leaf spring suspension, drum brakes, non power-steering box, and relatively weak D27 axles unless you had a v8 Scout. The Disco frame has an identical 100" wheelbase and the same track width, but also has 4 link, coil/spring suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, and all-time AWD. I saved myself a significant amount of money and time just by swapping frames!

Ok to the L83 swap questions:
  • The returnless fuel setup. I plan on getting a universal tank and in-tank Walbro 255 from Tanks Inc, but the regulator and fuel line setup has me a bit confused (also, I can't find a one-stop LT swap solution online).
  • Also, I ordered a custom-fit LS swap radiator & super slim fan setup from RND Fabrication, and it does come with a built-in steam port.
Do I need the steam port, or can I just cap it and run a standard radiator setup?
Also, can someone help me create the proper regulator & fuel line setup for the L83? I found one youtube video about doing a C5 style regulator and just running the return line from regulator back to the tank (instead of all the way to the motor & back), but the details were murky at best.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'll follow up with updates and pics along the way!

Old 05-28-2020, 06:49 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,505 Likes on 2,161 Posts

Welcome to LS1Tech! Cool build you have going. Re-post your question over in our Gen5 External section. You’ll get way more help over there, than here in the intro section.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool build! I love the old Scouts, especially the 800. Also don't mind your tow rig either Keep us updated!
Old 06-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to post updates, but my posts never seem to get "approved" in a timely manner. A week ago I posted on the L83 page asking for some advice on fuel system setup and a couple other LTx specific questions, but the posting doesn't exist yet because an admin needs to approve the posting.
It's a little frustrating to be honest. Does anyone know what I have to do in order to get out of my probationary period and can post at-will? Kind of hard to get the answers I need if a post sits in the admin's inbox while I'm mid-build...
Old 06-02-2020, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

This looks like a really good project. For complete LT solutions, I would contact Speartech.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Newbie, Gen 5 - Scout 800 build