Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 swap voltage drop issue when cranking

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ls1 swap voltage drop issue when cranking

Hi I'm sure I'm missing the thread that already talks about this but I'm frustrated and stumped. LS1 swapped into a 64 nova and was really hoping to hear it start for first time but no luck. What I'm thinking is I'm not getting enough voltage to the injectors or the coils when cranking. All but two spark plugs are bare when I pull them. Voltage goes from 12.6 to 10.5 at the coil and at the injectors. Battery is brand new 800cca mounted in the trunk with 1 guage cables running to the firewall terminal. The cables are soldered to the terminals (not sure if that would rob voltage). The harness is brand new stand alone from Speartech. The chassis harness is painless 10102 universal GM. The fuse block is grounded to the body, the body is grounded to the firewall terminal. The engine harness is grounded to the PS head and then the head to the firewall terminal via 1 guages wire. Losing my mind here a bit, what am I missing? Any help would be appreciated or links to maybe the easiest way to wire ignition. I heard something that if the injectors aren't receiving constant 12v they won't signal. Same with the coil?

Old 02-02-2021, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

"I heard something that if the injectors aren't receiving constant 12v they won't signal. Same with the coil?"
At 10.5 it could be a bit higher, but the engine should start.
Check to be sure the start circuit is hot both at cranking, and running
Pump prime at key on?
Pull a plug wire, put a plug in it, ground the plug.
Pull an inj plug and insert a noid light.
Crank the engine. Noid blinks?
Plug fires?

Quick Reply: Ls1 swap voltage drop issue when cranking