Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am swapping an ls1 into a honda fit

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 02:52 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I am swapping an ls1 into a honda fit

So I'm going to shove a Frankenstein ls into my 2008 honda fit. I'm not going for big power at this moment in time so I'm going to use the rear end and transmission out of an old s10, I already know that I'm going to be doing a metric butt ton of fab work for it and was looking for any advice on swapping small cars.

thanks in advance J.
The following 2 users liked this post by theletterj:
ealvarez11 (07-11-2021), Purcell169 (12-28-2023)
Old 07-02-2021, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

Have you considered taking the backseat out - so you can pitch a mid-engined Fit?
The following 3 users liked this post by Michael Yount:
G Atsma (07-02-2021), JoshHefnerX (07-02-2021), Purcell169 (12-28-2023)
Old 07-02-2021, 09:29 AM
Teching In

I have not but solid idea, I'm going to do some number crunching on that cause it was already only going to have front seats.
thanks
Old 07-02-2021, 09:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

While LS is an idea, why not K swap it? Would save you a ton of work and they make almost the same power NA.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
While LS is an idea, why not K swap it? Would save you a ton of work and they make almost the same power NA.
because I don't plan for this to be a daily and who else can say that they were dumb enough to ls swap a one of the smallest sub-compacts produced in the last decade? also because I want to do something different.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

K swap's been done -- solid idea. But not exactly apples to apples. First, you still end up front wheel drive -- which is fine if that's what you want. Second, naturally aspirated K's can hit 260-280 whp, but they have an ENTIRELY different torque curve. The motors built to do that are making that peak power up in the 8000-9000 rpm range and have virtually no torque below 3000 compared to even a 4.8LS. With a thoughtfully sized turbo on the 2.4L K, you could end up with something that makes respectable power/torque although it'll be higher in the rev band. Local guy has a 2.4K in his first gen MR2. Big turbo - 485 rwhp @ 8700 rpm. To be reliable, the internals and valve train need massaging.

To the OP - I suspect you're going to have significant hood/height problems with the LS unless you cut the firewall and set the motor back in the chassis. You'll probably have to create a larger tranny/driveshaft tunnel anyway. If you've gotta do all that, might just as well mid-mount it using the Corvette trans/rear (kind of a transaxle) without the torque tube or an aftermarket transaxle. Metric ton of fab doesn't quite describe the work it'll be.

You weren't thinking of the transverse/fwd LS application were you? I like slowsedan's alternative. K-swap it.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:57 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by theletterj
because I don't plan for this to be a daily and who else can say that they were dumb enough to ls swap a one of the smallest sub-compacts produced in the last decade? also because I want to do something different.
True you see a few S2k's here and there, but its a small crowd of those that have done it to other models. Not sure what happened with this swap:

The following users liked this post:
DualQuadDave (12-26-2023)
Old 07-02-2021, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
K swap's been done -- solid idea. But not exactly apples to apples. First, you still end up front wheel drive -- which is fine if that's what you want. Second, naturally aspirated K's can hit 260-280 whp, but they have an ENTIRELY different torque curve. The motors built to do that are making that peak power up in the 8000-9000 rpm range and have virtually no torque below 3000 compared to even a 4.8LS. With a thoughtfully sized turbo on the 2.4L K, you could end up with something that makes respectable power/torque although it'll be higher in the rev band. Local guy has a 2.4K in his first gen MR2. Big turbo - 485 rwhp @ 8700 rpm. To be reliable, the internals and valve train need massaging.

To the OP - I suspect you're going to have significant hood/height problems with the LS unless you cut the firewall and set the motor back in the chassis. You'll probably have to create a larger tranny/driveshaft tunnel anyway. If you've gotta do all that, might just as well mid-mount it using the Corvette trans/rear (kind of a transaxle) without the torque tube or an aftermarket transaxle. Metric ton of fab doesn't quite describe the work it'll be.

You weren't thinking of the transverse/fwd LS application were you? I like slowsedan's alternative. K-swap it.
I was thinking front engine rwd but I did do some number crunching on that mid engine setup and if I can find a decent used one for a good price then I'm going mid if not front and I do intend to cut the fire wall and fab an entire new front end along with the swap.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:05 AM
8 Second Club

You can certainly do RWD with a K series and they can also make well over 300whp. Agree on the torque, but the car would also be much lighter with a 4 vs an 8. For sure MR2 is a cool swap, there is a k swapped MR2 running low/mid 8's.

I agree it will be a ton of fab work, I would plan for some sort of roll bar or chassis reinforcement while he's in there.
Michael Yount (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 10:06 AM
Teching In

something like that honestly and eventually I do plan on going for as dumb of a hp figure i can get and still hook.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:09 AM
Teching In

You can certainly do RWD with a K series and they can also make well over 300whp. Agree on the torque, but the car would also be much lighter with a 4 vs an 8. For sure MR2 is a cool swap, there is a k swapped MR2 running low/mid 8's.

I agree it will be a ton of fab work, I would plan for some sort of roll bar or chassis reinforcement while he's in there.
I plan to run a half cage until I start really modding the engine then full cage, cause safety first and last.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:13 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by theletterj
I plan to run a half cage until I start really modding the engine then full cage, cause safety first and last.
Wonder if you can make a Civic roll bar work, Rhodes has a 4 point bar pretty cheap $225.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

slowsedan - I was thinking of this "why not K swap it? Would save you a ton of work...." when I made my comment about fwd. The reason I know a bit about rwd Kswaps is because I'm considering one for my rwd Corolla. However, if you turn the K longitudinal and make the Fit rwd, you're right back in the huge fab soup. You only save a ton of work IF you keep it fwd....hence my comment. Nonetheless, if I had a Fit (my wife had one, my daughter's had 3) I'd wanna K-swap it before I LS'd it. Just me though --- OP seems to have a clear vision for what's he's after. LOTS of cutting/welding.
DualQuadDave (12-26-2023)
Old 07-02-2021, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Wonder if you can make a Civic roll bar work, Rhodes has a 4 point bar pretty cheap $225.
when I get around to stripping the interior ill definitely have to check to see if it will fit with slight (hopefully none, but when does it get that nice) modification.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:18 AM
TECH Junkie

If you're installing the bar/cage for safety/track purposes, I'd urge you to buy a cage designed and built for that chassis; they're available as the cars are regularly raced. If it were me, I'd avoid cutting up one that doesn't "Fit". See what I did there?
JoshHefnerX (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 10:27 AM
Teching In

If you're installing the bar/cage for safety/track purposes, I'd urge you to buy a cage designed and built for that chassis; they're available as the cars are regularly raced. If it were me, I'd avoid cutting up one that doesn't "Fit". See what I did there?
I did catch that pun you "Fit" in there and you're absolutely right about that but having an option as a backup if I can't happen to find a cage for the Fit, but this is still very much in the planning phase cause I'm not going to redo work that can be done right in the first place.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:37 AM
8 Second Club

The rhodes cage kits are shipped unwelded, the bars are a little long so you can mock it up however you need and trim what you want. Its a nice option to the $1000+ pre made stuff.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:00 AM
Teching In

The rhodes cage kits are shipped unwelded, the bars are a little long so you can mock it up however you need and trim what you want. Its a nice option to the $1000+ pre made stuff.
thanks I'll look at those.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

LS, Mid Engine, RWD, Transverse...

The following 3 users liked this post by fieroguru:
JoshHefnerX (07-02-2021), theletterj (07-03-2021), themealonwheels (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 09:15 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by fieroguru
LS, Mid Engine, RWD, Transverse...
Mated to a VW trans?
theletterj (07-03-2021)

Quick Reply: I am swapping an ls1 into a honda fit