Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2021 | 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ill be following along for sure. i just started a new build with a 97 mustang and have just ordered the team z tubular k member kit as well as tube front end. ill also be using stock manifolds with 2.25 stainless crossover pipe to a t6 flange. ill be running a gen 1 7875 at first since i have a couple laying around. i also plan on keeping the AC so ill have to figure out turbo placement. im digging this build. keep it up!
Old 12-01-2021 | 11:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kyle.t91
ill be following along for sure. i just started a new build with a 97 mustang and have just ordered the team z tubular k member kit as well as tube front end. ill also be using stock manifolds with 2.25 stainless crossover pipe to a t6 flange. ill be running a gen 1 7875 at first since i have a couple laying around. i also plan on keeping the AC so ill have to figure out turbo placement. im digging this build. keep it up!
I am running 2.25 on this hot-side, With the tube front end you'll notice the amount of new found room for a turbo. For AC you should look up Kwik brackets, they have one of the CLOSEST to the engine uptop mounts for a Sanden AC compressor.
Old 12-01-2021 | 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Burning
I am running 2.25 on this hot-side, With the tube front end you'll notice the amount of new found room for a turbo. For AC you should look up Kwik brackets, they have one of the CLOSEST to the engine uptop mounts for a Sanden AC compressor.
im familiar with the qwik bracket. im running one on my c10 and i love it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...rbo-5-3-a.html
Old 01-03-2022 | 07:16 AM
Launching!

Happy new year guys, life has really been busting my *** lately but i did have 3 weeks off from work so i got a couple projects around the house done as well as some work on the car.

First things first, got the SBE 5.3 rings gapped, all new gaskets and bearings throughout, and buttoned up for my buddy whos car im helping do the fab work on.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-xndzvwcl.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-d55dr5cl.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-k30cv1bl.jpg

Then I switched gears and worked on finishing my hotside for the Cobra.
Double slip all welded, freely moves.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-jinp4myl.jpg

Merge is fully welded.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-4qewo8al.jpg

Got the Motion Raceworks low side Alt on.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-5juqqkul.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-ofpbffpl.jpg

Wastegates cutout, welded to pipe, and welded to the hotside. Had to breakout my BBW cup so i could stick out really far in that wastegate area.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-betxik5l.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-a8ejtvnl.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-ocfsh49l.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-cxi4zzkl.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-orx0olsl.jpg

After welding the hotside completely in i noticed some movement in the cold side charge pipe. It wouldn't connect anymore, and it was always off a little bit so i cut it apart and added a sliver.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-8i7nlfrl.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-brxcnkzl.jpg

Broke out my new bender to bend some 1-1/4" Chromoly for the Maven Turbo mount. Love the bender, only second piece ive done and it was easy.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-9ofdtxrl.jpg

Got my 2 new Pro-Mod Hughes Powerglides in. Pretty said when the payload is worth more than the truck hauling it! Lol
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-r1inqcxl.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-m92hadol.jpg

And then lastly the weekend before Christmas i ran up to CT to grab my new car. This car is going to be a Coyote/Whipple T56 street car for the fiance.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-ibvvxdhl.jpg

Couple things I am working on right now:

1. Finding a remote water pump block for the front of the engine
2. Start fabricating brackets for the rear mounted radiator.
3. Finish cutting interior panels to fit roll cage.
4. Either rework the rear bars or fit the ice tank in the rear seat.

Thats all folks.
Old 01-03-2022 | 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nice progress! i made my own double slip joint and its waaaayyy to tight. i can only get it to slide about half way in. think im going to have to redo it. or just get a flex coupler like ive used in the past. keep up the work.
Old 01-03-2022 | 07:39 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Very cool projects man! I'm glad that you decided to add that sliver to the cold side tube, it looks perfect now.
Old 01-03-2022 | 08:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kyle.t91
nice progress! i made my own double slip joint and its waaaayyy to tight. i can only get it to slide about half way in. think im going to have to redo it. or just get a flex coupler like ive used in the past. keep up the work.
I hate those flex couplers with a passion, seen way to many split. On the silver car the slip joint is tight, this car its loose. IDK what the difference is lol.

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Very cool projects man! I'm glad that you decided to add that sliver to the cold side tube, it looks perfect now.
Yeah at first i was bummed that now it is not a single bend, but im happier that the BOVs align centerline with the car than pulling to the left. Im just glad i can do this stuff in house and dont have to send it off everytime i make a error.
Old 03-01-2022 | 08:47 AM
Launching!

Whats up guys, still alive. Been doing lots of home projects lately. But hopefully making some progress soon. Got a couple parts in for the car.
Derale 4000CFM fan and shroud kit, should flow plenty for the rear radiator setup. Radiator is a 31"x19" dual pass, biggest one I could fit under the rear trunk.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-ez08qdjh.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-w7vjcp7h.jpg

5" 11 Gauge Aluminum pipe for the down pipe. I read a lot of mixed thing about using aluminum on a street car, i figure if this doesn't work out ill just replace with a stainless down pipe, but i wanted this light weight.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-gqzmceoh.jpg

417 Water Manifold, these will run to a inline Davis Craig 150 EWP on the radiator. Seen plenty of street cars running on these just fine.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-j1ueosvh.jpg

Swirl Pot to help bleed the air in the system in the rear. Basically return line comes in the top, swirls air out and feed into the return on the top of the radiator.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-jjfnhljh.jpg

Decided to stick a SBE in it for this season, as i recoup some funds to put the forged motor together. Going to go ahead and buy an aftermarket block so i can utilize the 6 bolt Brodix Heads, that'll be the summer purchases. 2006 5.3, also scored some 243 heads for it as well all for $300 bucks. Ill regasket/Reseal it and throw a custom spec cam in to help aid the GT55.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-crc4heqh.jpg

Then i got a wild hair up my *ss and decided to rip all of my work bench out and build this new work bench. It utilized 3 52" Tool boxes, 11 gauge mild steel top, and constructed of 2x2x11 gauge steel. Dont mind the spray paint on the floor, the garage will be getting new floors put in the spring.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-ghjzhrih.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-rmfposih.jpg

I have the RaceWire Solutions control board and switch panel coming any day now, fuel lines are ordered, coolant lines are ordered, converter is ordered. Hopefully start plumbing and wiring the car in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-01-2022 | 09:14 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Great update! I was wondering what happened to your build. Any progress on that red Cobra?
Old 03-01-2022 | 09:26 AM
Launching!

Thanks man, wife honey do list is quite long so i had to knock some things out before i was allowed to make more purchases LOL.

The red Cobra, my 87 Monte Carlo, and 90 Corvette are all in storage. I have been buying a couple small things here and there for the red cobra, but it wont be an active project until this car is on the road and the 87 Monte is done. The 90 c4 is a runner and driver, but its tucked away for the winter.
Old 03-07-2022 | 08:29 AM
Launching!

Went out and bought a new "Used" metal saw this weekend, was having issues fitting the 5" pipe in my JET so it was time to up the ante.

Its a 1997 Well-Bilt (rebranded to Klutch today) 7x12 with coolant and 3/4 blade. Really sturdy, cuts damn near perfect. Got a couple of things to fix on it, the hyrdualic cylinder has a little bit of a leak so im going to reseal it and see what happens.2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-rgewdizl.jpg

Compared to the old JET.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-cn2xroul.jpg

ahh yes, thatll do.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-ux40hyxl.jpg

And we have a hole
!2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-vgpbg9jl.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-pvehhril.jpg

Im taking the tip to a local fab shop and having them plasma some stainless for the trim ring. Should look pretty killer when done. I did cut it a little too short on the radius so its not much as a tear drop as i would like. But at $125 for this 90 bend, itll be just fine! LOL
Old 03-09-2022 | 01:25 PM
Launching!

1 hour a night gets the job done.

Got the downpipe all pieced together. The new bad saw made quick breeze of this and super straights, much less flattening the pie cuts to get it where i need it. Used a digital protractor to find the inside angle i needed to get me close, set the band saw up for 4 degree cuts for a total of 8 degree per pie cut. Worked like a charm. I need to clean the aluminum up in a couple of places so that i can tack it in place then remove from the car to full pen weld. Leaving it a little protruding, i like it till it cuts me and then i cut it off lol.

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-kofpfpzh.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-ktnpesyh.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-qwhytmxh.jpg

Fuel lines showed up, got dummy injectors on the way. Im going to block off the secondary set of injectors for now. Im running -12 from the Fuel cell to the aeromotive 5.0 GPM, then -10 post filter to the split, -8 to the rails and then return with -8.
Around $700 in fuel lines and fittings here... Ouch

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-tllcyoeh.jpg
Old 03-10-2022 | 07:34 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

This build is amazing! Love the welding skills man. I'm hoping to pick up a TIG welder soon and start doing cool stuff like this.
Old 03-10-2022 | 09:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
This build is amazing! Love the welding skills man. I'm hoping to pick up a TIG welder soon and start doing cool stuff like this.
Thanks man, im definitely trying to get it together before racing season is upon us.

Im no pro welder LOL. I picked up a AHP 2 years ago to self teach and its been a fun journey. I don't like paying for stuff i know that i could do if i had the tools. It is pretty self rewarding to know im doing most of this myself in a 2 car garage!
Old 03-10-2022 | 11:55 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Burning
Thanks man, im definitely trying to get it together before racing season is upon us.

Im no pro welder LOL. I picked up a AHP 2 years ago to self teach and its been a fun journey. I don't like paying for stuff i know that i could do if i had the tools. It is pretty self rewarding to know im doing most of this myself in a 2 car garage!
I love that, I feel the exact same way.
Old 04-29-2022 | 12:54 PM
Launching!

Got a nice little update since my last one, finally parts are coming in a things are finally starting to take shape. Ended up selling my other 04 Cobra to fund some more car parts! Made about 7k in profit on it, so it was a no brainier to sell.

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-zdkyv4ch.jpg

Had to take time to finish the shop before getting back on the many projects. Got my WeldTables all put together and added a nice welding cart to boot to finish off the revised work area.

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-tm1vogoh.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-7ikvgysh.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-0cz7jsbh.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-mjsxsiph.jpg

Buddy of mine polished the charge pipe, inter-cooler and down-pipe! Turned out killer.

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-2fpnhz2h.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-cn1aevch.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-8ymbv0ph.jpg

Gutted the car in prep for the new wiring.

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-q8animch.jpg

Added a Motion Raceworks column, RIFE power glide sensor, billet turn signal switch, and a boost reference block.

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-hnpsndch.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-lg5i23uh.jpg

Finally got my Kirkeys in, obviously my kid had to take a nice little squat to test it out. Ended up using TeamZ low profile brackets, i just need to get hardware to bolt them to the seats and get the positioning where i need them.

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-ejuy5nxh.jpg

Couldn't get my hands on any ARP fasteners so i decided to take a gamble on BTR's new PointOne fasteners, my initial thoughts are that they are as good if not better quality than ARP.

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-d1mutlth.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-5yno1s9h.jpg

Found out my unknown balancer i got with the car is indeed a truck spacing ATI.

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-y7dtchah.jpg

Lastly, my switch panel and control board finally arrived... AFTER 8 months it finally arrived!

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-160iefrh.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-g67fd93h.jpg

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-mc4ub77h.jpg

And in other news, the cobra and other cars are about to get a new home. Finishing the final stages in the design but its a 32x32 with a true 8' loft. Im excited and have already picked out lifts to go in as well lol! Cart before the horse but oh well.

I am working on re-configuring the rear trunk to fit both my fuel cell, ice tank, burn down tank and battery. Shouldn't have to do much to fit them in there, might have to rework some of the bracket to make it work but ill cross that bridge soon enough. Also ordered the last little bit of fuel fittings and lines to start plumbing the car. I need to place an order to Low Dollar for the shock sensors, and some various combo sensors.

Ill update more next week!

2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-wikblmmh.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by Burning:
Project GatTagO (05-01-2022), Woodylyf767 (08-06-2022)
Old 05-01-2022 | 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

A lot of good stuff in this build. Well done!

Andrew
Old 05-01-2022 | 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Just rolled through your thread, super impressive! I'll be following along this one.
Old 05-02-2022 | 08:38 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

That control board is super nice!
Old 07-26-2022 | 10:28 AM
Launching!

Little update, not much happening in between vacation and sick kiddos.

Ended up picking up a Circle D billet bolt together converter, should be optimal for what we are trying to accomplish. This thing is a piece of art, shame its going to be hidden.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-dfh0p3fl.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-qvveebkl.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-x7lrrezl.jpg

Starting to figure out the wiring of the car.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-iaaqsqql.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-7ufm5aml.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-equ5loul.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-mlv2dcel.jpg

Using Deutch connectors to connect into most of the factory pigtails.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-e1ny6qml.jpg

I am also utilizing the stock firewall connector to run most of the engine bay harness, to make it easier for disassembly.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-0t5vyurl.jpg

Got everything i have so far ran upfront from a chassis stand point, still have to wire up everything to the dash and also to the rear. Still have yet to build the Holley Harnesses.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-hvzwvfhl.jpg

Got my Motion Steering column, wheel and billet turn-signal switch in.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-llosx3tl.jpg
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-zvfzxbxl.jpg

Kirkeys in.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-zkridhfl.jpg

View from the Kirkey, i might raise the seat up just a bit.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-3xvat8xl.jpg

Picked up the BTR valve covers, these things are super sweet.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-tmwrcjjl.jpg

Lastly, we decided to upgrade our family hauler. We ended up with a 2018 Suburban Premier, this things is by far the nicest vehicle i have owned so far lol.
2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)-dmkaex1l.jpg

Quick Reply: 2003 Mustang Cobra Build (Turbo/Powerglide, PIC HEAVY)