Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E30 with L33 and Dual Clutch (DCT) build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 539 Likes on 344 Posts

I'm adding some clearance where I marked the tight area.

I'm cutting that high section off.

I'm maintaining a slight increasing angle towards the back of the pan so the oil drains to the back of the pan better. I don't want it pooling up front.

Here's a clearance check on a beater block. The pan is not sitting all the way down. There is a slight interference at the very front of the pan and it's touching the oil shield. I had to massage the oil shield previously on the real engine before, so this was expected. The pan is about 1/4 inch elevated, but you can still see the the new lower section I'm working will clear everything.

Since I had to cut into the pan anyway, and the lowest part could be an inch lower, I'm thinking that I would have been better off starting with a truck pan. I would do the same thing to the front of the pan and cut a few inches off the back to give me a pan with the same depth as the DCT and clear the subframe as well.

Last edited by LSswap; 11-27-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since I already had the milling machine set up for cutting the oil pan, I decided to cut up a truck oil pan just for the hell of it.

First thing I noticed is that the aluminum is alot thicker on the truck one. About 3/32 on truck one vs 1/8" on the aftermarket. I'm definitely going to weld up the aftermarket one. It's clean and just a single 1/8 sheet of aluminum and it's done.

But I'm kinda liking the truck one too cause it will be the same height as the DCT trans and the rectangular pan area means less oil sloshing around. If I hadn't already built the oil trap door baffles for the aftermarket one, I'd consider doing the truck one. Gonna take some serious cleaning before welding that one.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,500 Posts

1/8 = 4/32. Truck one is THINNER at 3/32.....
Go back and learn fractions.....
Old 11-27-2023, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Atsma
1/8 = 4/32. Truck one is THINNER at 3/32.....
Go back and learn fractions.....
LOL Good catch. Gotta go back to school. But the truck one is thicker. more like 3/16"
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (11-27-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cut up some 1/8 aluminum sheet to fill hole.

I did some practice welds with the cast material that was cut off and it came out terrible. Practice welds on the 1/8 sheet were great. So I let me friend Chris weld it up for me since he has more skill welding that crappy, dirty cast aluminum.

This is the new profile of the pan.

The following 2 users liked this post by LSswap:
G Atsma (12-10-2023), Project GatTagO (12-10-2023)
Old 03-21-2024, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

MaxxEcu is adamant about keeping chassis grounds and signal grounds separated. The standard knock sensor on an LS is a 1 wire sensor and uses the engine block as the ground return signal. MaxxEcu wants a 2 wire sensor to keep the signal grounds away from the chassis grounds. So I'm adapting a 2 wire sensor to fit in the space where the GM knock sensor used to be.

Problem is that the thread size in the block in incompatible with the 2 wire sensor I have.

Upper right hand corner is the GM 1 wire sensor with it's large thread.
Upper middle is 2 wire sensor with mounting hole smaller than thread size in block.
Lower left is the adapter stud made from a bolt. It has a big thread for the block and a small thread for the sensor and locking nut.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

That seems silly to me unless I'm not understanding it. A ground is a ground. We ground battery to chassis and body, chassis to engine and chassis to body. I am no electrical engineer, but I simply don't understand it. Unless resistance to ground is what is sending the signal, which would also be silly in my mind. That being said, if you are concerned about supportability or warranty, I get doing it how they want it.

Originally Posted by LSswap
MaxxEcu is adamant about keeping chassis grounds and signal grounds separated. The standard knock sensor on an LS is a 1 wire sensor and uses the engine block as the ground return signal. MaxxEcu wants a 2 wire sensor to keep the signal grounds away from the chassis grounds. So I'm adapting a 2 wire sensor to fit in the space where the GM knock sensor used to be.

Problem is that the thread size in the block in incompatible with the 2 wire sensor I have.

Upper right hand corner is the GM 1 wire sensor with it's large thread.
Upper middle is 2 wire sensor with mounting hole smaller than thread size in block.
Lower left is the adapter stud made from a bolt. It has a big thread for the block and a small thread for the sensor and locking nut.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Austin_Jim
That seems silly to me unless I'm not understanding it. A ground is a ground. We ground battery to chassis and body, chassis to engine and chassis to body. I am no electrical engineer, but I simply don't understand it. Unless resistance to ground is what is sending the signal, which would also be silly in my mind. That being said, if you are concerned about supportability or warranty, I get doing it how they want it.
Unfortunately, a ground is not a ground. If you mix high current and fly-back voltage and small signal on the same ground, the small signal will have noise and false signals on it. Virtually all modern engine management have separate signal and chassis ground wires. Even GM went away from the single wire knock sensor to a 2 wire. Why would they add an extra wire unless there is a real benefit.
The following 2 users liked this post by LSswap:
G Atsma (03-21-2024), ryeguy2006a (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 08:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I learn something new every day. Thank you

Originally Posted by LSswap
Unfortunately, a ground is not a ground. If you mix high current and fly-back voltage and small signal on the same ground, the small signal will have noise and false signals on it. Virtually all modern engine management have separate signal and chassis ground wires. Even GM went away from the single wire knock sensor to a 2 wire. Why would they add an extra wire unless there is a real benefit.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,202 Likes on 2,500 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin_Jim
I learn something new every day. Thank you
Me too! I always learn from LSswap's input on these forums.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 566 Likes on 352 Posts

Great updates!
Old 04-01-2024, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Starting to build the engine and DCT transmission harness. Easier to do it outside the car.

I plan to run the engine and trans on the test stand before the final install.

The following users liked this post:
Project GatTagO (04-01-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

A little more manageable now.

Next I'll add the connectors.

Quick Reply: E30 with L33 and Dual Clutch (DCT) build thread