Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you interested in swapping the ZF8HP transmission?
Yes, I am interested!
78.48%
I am unsure.
12.66%
I have no idea what you're talking about.
8.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

ZF8HP Transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 909 Posts

Two of my customers have decided to go with the HTG controller. This will give me an opportunity to compare the HTG and the TurboLamik first hand, which is something that I would very much like to do.

Andrew
The following 4 users liked this post by Project GatTagO:
G Atsma (11-19-2023), Ls1Rx-7 (11-19-2023), rkupon1 (11-20-2023), Toxic ChevyII (11-20-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

So do add to this discussion as I am now committed(sold the 4l80)

It looks like there are 3 main players in the controllers: HTG, Sound German Automotive, and Turbo Lamik.(There is CANTCU--however I don't know if this works with the Dodge version of these transmissions)

HTG and TurboLamik both require the modifications to the TCU as seen above(to me a little intimidating as from what I've seen the solder is hard to get to stick in some cases).

Sound German Automotive does not require the same modifications; however, it is limited on tuning if you're going to use it with Holley as it requires HP tuners to "tune" however it does come with an OBD port on the harness to do so and does require the use of a charger/challenger shifter.

I will likely go with the Sound German automotive set up myself.

The following 2 users liked this post by 02redchevy:
G Atsma (11-28-2023), Project GatTagO (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fourth option is Cantcu. Uses oem wire harness.No need to open the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
Project GatTagO (11-28-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mutty
Fourth option is Cantcu. Uses oem wire harness.No need to open the transmission.
That was mentioned above.

If we are going to list all the options, there is also the HTG I/O CAN Gateway. It is similar to the Sound German Engineering solution in its mode of operation.

Andrew
02redchevy (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
That was mentioned above.

If we are going to list all the options, there is also the HTG I/O CAN Gateway. It is similar to the Sound German Engineering solution in its mode of operation.

Andrew

Well I have another one to research. I have read a lot of negative about HTG(mostly on the facebook groups). Curious how that would work.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 510 Likes on 331 Posts

How is park/neutral safety for starting the engine handled in these controllers and transmissions?

I'm assuming there is no mechanical switch?

Old 11-29-2023, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02redchevy
Well I have another one to research. I have read a lot of negative about HTG(mostly on the facebook groups). Curious how that would work.
I take whatever I read on the Internet with caution. I am reserving judgement until I have some firsthand experience with some of these systems.

Andrew
Old 11-29-2023, 10:53 AM
Launching!

I take whatever I read on the Internet with caution. I am reserving judgement until I have some firsthand experience with some of these systems.

Andrew
I agree, it's almost like the same people bash holley for being "junk" when it was their wiring that caused all the issues in the first place hahaha
Project GatTagO (11-29-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSswap
How is park/neutral safety for starting the engine handled in these controllers and transmissions?

I known Sound German Automotive has an output for park/neutral safety if you so desire to hook it up. I would assume most have that output as well.
Old 11-29-2023, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

The TurboLamik has a Neutral output on it:

https://manual.turbolamik.eu/TCUPINOUT.html

Andrew
Old 11-29-2023, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I known Sound German Automotive has an output for park/neutral safety if you so desire to hook it up. I would assume most have that output as well.
The TurboLamik has a Neutral output on it:

https://manual.turbolamik.eu/TCUPINOUT.html

Andrew
So you would hook up a relay that is normally open and doesn't let the starter run when the signal from the trans controller says no-go. Got it, thanks
Old 11-29-2023, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

So you would hook up a relay that is normally open and doesn't let the starter run when the signal from the trans controller says no-go. Got it, thanks
Or to your PDM of choice and give it other logic.

Andrew
Old 11-29-2023, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Here is what SGA says:The 8hp kit is as close to plug n play as possible. The required inputs for the transmission to work with this kit are RPM, TPS, Torque, Brake switch or Brake lamp input. All other wiring is optional and for your use as needed. We provide Neutral safety output and Reverse light output to ground only. These are outputs from the kit. Not inputs and are to provide these signals to your vehicle to a starter relay or a reverse light relay. Speedometer output is a programmable and should work with any modern electronic speedometer or a speedometer driver such as Speedhut Speedbox. C4 for CAN is not used.

Project GatTagO (12-03-2023)
Old 12-02-2023, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Well... I found one with 31k on it... Ordered the seems legit adaptor(I like their flywheel set up more and won't need to trim the adaptor for the starter I have)

Project GatTagO (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is where I am with all of this. I have been trying to gather as much information as I can about both the TurboLamik and the HTG, especially how they integrate with Holley EFI. Sadly, there is precious little information out there. So either it is not being done very much, or people are being very secretive. If you do a google search for Holley and HTG or TurboLamik, there is barely anything out there. Seems Legit Garage claims that they have done "many" Holley EFI systems with the HTG, but even their El Camino uses a GM ECU. I also joined the HTG and TurboLamik FB groups, and while there seems to be quite a bit of interest in these swaps, there is very little actual information.

I am going to the PRI show this coming week and have a meeting on my schedule with the TurboLamik US rep. I also purchased a CAN course from HP Academy, which has been very helpful. That is all I have for now, but I will be making updates as more information becomes available.

Andrew
02redchevy (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Here is where I am with all of this. I have been trying to gather as much information as I can about both the TurboLamik and the HTG, especially how they integrate with Holley EFI. Sadly, there is precious little information out there. So either it is not being done very much, or people are being very secretive. If you do a google search for Holley and HTG or TurboLamik, there is barely anything out there. Seems Legit Garage claims that they have done "many" Holley EFI systems with the HTG, but even their El Camino uses a GM ECU. I also joined the HTG and TurboLamik FB groups, and while there seems to be quite a bit of interest in these swaps, there is very little actual information.

I am going to the PRI show this coming week and have a meeting on my schedule with the TurboLamik US rep. I also purchased a CAN course from HP Academy, which has been very helpful. That is all I have for now, but I will be making updates as more information becomes available.

Andrew
I'll be seeing how it works with sound german automotive, hope it works!
​​​
Old 12-03-2023, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll be seeing how it works with sound german automotive, hope it works!
​​​
By all accounts it does work, but I believe the tunebility is fairly limited. I'm pretty sure that you'll also need to have HP Tuners to tweak the stock TCU parameters.

Andrew
Old 12-03-2023, 09:00 AM
Launching!

By all accounts it does work, but I believe the tunebility is fairly limited. I'm pretty sure that you'll also need to have HP Tuners to tweak the stock TCU parameters.

Andrew
That us true--that's only if I need to. It seems like SGA is continuing up update the computer as well. It seems like he's getting more and more features to work. I wish turbolamik was more reasonable on price(1600 for the comp, 400 I think for the harness, 650 for the shifter I want, and 150 for the pcb)
Old 12-03-2023, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

That us true--that's only if I need to. It seems like SGA is continuing up update the computer as well. It seems like he's getting more and more features to work. I wish turbolamik was more reasonable on price(1600 for the comp, 400 I think for the harness, 650 for the shifter I want, and 150 for the pcb)
These swaps are not for the fair of heart or faint of wallet...then again, nothing about this hobby makes any sense in terms of fiscal responsibility...

Andrew
The following 2 users liked this post by Project GatTagO:
DualQuadDave (02-12-2024), G Atsma (12-03-2023)
Old 12-03-2023, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

..then again, nothing about this hobby makes any sense in terms of fiscal responsibility...

Andrew
OMG, you just said the part we've been hiding from our wives out loud.
The following 2 users liked this post by LSswap:
G Atsma (12-03-2023), Project GatTagO (12-03-2023)

Quick Reply: ZF8HP Transmission swap