Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terminator X on 4.8 swapped Fairmont

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Terminator X on 4.8 swapped Fairmont

Morning guys, been a long time since I've posted here. Looking for some advice. I have a buddy who just picked up a 4.8 swapped Fairmont. It's a gen 4 58x motor. We just ordered a Terminator X for it last night. My first question is does the kit come with the wideband or do you need to purchase it separately? I assume its required for the self-tuning to work. He plans to keep the setup N/A for now, someone had already put a cam in it, not sure what heads. The guy who swapped it left it DBW throttle body, but the pedal setup was pretty terrible so in the interest of saving a little bit of money and having a less complicated setup we opted to put a cable throttle in it and ordered the terminator kit to reflect that. My next question in regard to that though are is there a specific TPS sensor I need or will any gen 3/4 TPS work? Does the Holley allow for calibration there? Any other helpful tips and tricks we should know? This is my first time messing with a Holley. Should be a fun little Hot Rod, nothing that'll light the world on fire but we figured throw the Holley on now to future proof it for when he eventually decides to boost it. I'll post some pics when we get started.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by maxplusten
Morning guys, been a long time since I've posted here. Looking for some advice. I have a buddy who just picked up a 4.8 swapped Fairmont. It's a gen 4 58x motor. We just ordered a Terminator X for it last night. My first question is does the kit come with the wideband or do you need to purchase it separately?

Holley kits come with a wideband. Replacements are inexpensive if it's a used kit that was missing the WBO2

I assume its required for the self-tuning to work.

It is, but please don't rely on the "self tuning". That's a marketing phrase to sell more kits

He plans to keep the setup N/A for now, someone had already put a cam in it, not sure what heads. The guy who swapped it left it DBW throttle body, but the pedal setup was pretty terrible so in the interest of saving a little bit of money and having a less complicated setup we opted to put a cable throttle in it and ordered the terminator kit to reflect that. My next question in regard to that though are is there a specific TPS sensor I need or will any gen 3/4 TPS work?

Just about anything GM will work with most aftermarket TBs. Non-GM universal can also work when the sensor type is selected and an autoset completed

Does the Holley allow for calibration there? Any other helpful tips and tricks we should know? This is my first time messing with a Holley. Should be a fun little Hot Rod, nothing that'll light the world on fire but we figured throw the Holley on now to future proof it for when he eventually decides to boost it. I'll post some pics when we get started.
Yes, Holley can be calibrated for just about anything you can think of
Old 03-26-2024, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome, thats pretty much covered everything. I figured the self-tuning has its limits but good to know it at least gets you in the ballpark. Any other setup recommendations? Excited to learn it all. I plan on doing one on my next project as well.

Quick Reply: Terminator X on 4.8 swapped Fairmont