Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 into Stingray, details wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 into Stingray, details wanted.

T56 into Stingray, details wanted.

This doesn’t really concern the ls1 but this seems to be the best place to find information on swapping the transmission it is usually pared with. I know people on this forum have done this but I haven’t seen any sites that get into what is involved.
First off does the transmission fit into the transmission tunnel of a stingray or do you have to fabricate something or bang it out.
Once you have it fitting in the tunnel what do you have to do about a crossmember, and can you use the original clutch assembly or do you have to pull it out and use what is in the donor car.
Do you have to shorten the drive shaft, and or move the engine mounts forward.

I’m debating whether to set up an 81 corvette with a late model Camaro engine and a t56 or just swapping the same transmission into an 89 Camaro. I know it is relatively simple to do it with the camaro, you can buy the cross member if you want and there are lots of instructional resources but I’d much rather work on the corvette even if it took longer.
Any links or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:08 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM offers a retrofit T56 that is gear driven instead of vss for the speedometer , plus it is made to be more install friendly . not really cheap but might save you some time.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

You might want to start with D&D Performance. They have a couple of articles on their site about T56 installs into older Chevys. I've delt with these guys before (they're local to me) and they know their T56s.
I'm not sure, but does your '81 have an automatic now? If so, you have the removable crossmember. That makes things easier. I think that someone bought the Bowtie Overdrives tubular crossmember and modified it for the T56. I have a 4-speed car, so I had to do some custom bracketry. There are some pics on my site. Let me know if you need more.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Hey scooter, your website was actually the first one I saw when I started thinking about this. I checked out the D&D site and gave them a call after reading the articles they had up. I think I can handle mating the transmission to the engine and the clutch linkage now and would probably use one from D&D for the vette. However the guy I talked to wasn’t sure about clearance with the transmission tunnel. On your site it looked like it fit in the body without any modifications besides the cross member. I know the drive shaft has to be shortened, and the issues with the clutch linkage and the speedometer. But in terms of mounting the transmission to the body is there anything you have to worry about besides the new cross member? Also when you put in the combination of the ls1 and the t56 did you have to relocate the motor mounts? Right now I have the Camaro and it's time to either upgrade it or sell it, but the stingray I am only thinking about buying if it looks like this would be possible. I was looking at a manual because I thought it would be simpler, but I could find an automatic if it would make things easier. Thanks for everything both you guys.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The crossmember is about the only big thing to worry about. If you just want an overdrive in the Corvette, Keisler also has some Richmond 5 and 6-speed kits that some Corvette Forum guys have had good luck with. I think that the Richmond and T5 seem to be prefered for mating to a traditional SBC than the T56. (I'm not sure exactly why though.)

For the motor mounts, I made plates like the S&P ones but changed them a bit to move the motor forward a bit and make the tranny mount easier so that I wouldn't have to cut the crossmember.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Hey thanks for the link to Keisler that webpage made me drool. An install like that is definitely in my skill range, maybe not my budget range though. Either way thanks for the info now I know what all my options are.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Launchin It!

Most of us just build or convert our existing crossmember. Jegs and Summit both sell a easy weld up version that is removable. I cut out the center section of mine and rewelded in plates. Looks good and is very strong.

Quick Reply: T56 into Stingray, details wanted.