Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line plumbing question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Line plumbing question

I have searched all of the appropriate posts on here, but I do have a couple more questions.

I am going to be using braided kevlar XRP HS-79 6AN hoses for the feed line of the fuel system. For the run from just in front of the rear tire up to the engine compartment, is it better to run a hard line or just have a long run of the braided hose?

The second question is on the return line. I know it is a low pressure line, but I would prefer to use braided hose on it as well, considering I have the hose anyway. Is there a clean way to transition from the 5/16 return line to 6AN?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which fuel rail do you have, FBody or C5? If it's FBody and it's just a vapor return, you could do like I did and use a male 3/8" air hose fitting - the kind that you use for air tools. It has the knurl on there and it snaps right into the fuel rail fitting. These fittings are NPT and come in male and female so you can easily adapt anything to it. If it's a vette rail and there's actual fuel in it, you'll have to come up with something else. Most autoparts stores do sell adapters for the GM lines and fittings. I used a piece of the "repair" hard line in my high pressure - has 2 of the special knurls, one on each end of a short length of steel tube. I cut it in half with a tubing cutter and used a normal ferrule tube fitting from the hardware store on the cut end. These come in all types and can be adapted easily to AN.

I've seen lots of people use the braided lines from tank to motor. I see no reason whey not, except for the expense. I used Al. hard line because I'm poor. So I had to worry about securing the line so it wouldn't vibrate and crack. The braided will be easier. No matter which material you use, if it's near a tire or the road, it needs some shielding.

Also, keep in mind that some sanctioning bodies won't let you put lines in the tunnel.