Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle cable, 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle cable, 3rd gen

I'm working on a 92' Camaro Rs with a LS1/M6 in it. I'm trying to find the right throttle cable to fit LS1 throttle body and 3rd gen firewall cutout. My stock 3rd gen cable is too short and had the wrong end to it. Summit Racing has a uniersal throttle cable, but don't know if it will fit right. Any help would be great thanks. Josh Kersten
Old 09-30-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the Lokar LS1 universal cable, but it needed some modification.

First, I had to add a pair of large stainless-steel fender washers and rubber washers at the firewall...the Lokar cable is smaller than the 3rd gen cable hole.

Second, I cut the clevis attachment off the throttle pedal end of the Lokar cable and put a bullet end in it's place. This allowed it to seat in the little plastic cup exactly like the factory 3rd gen cable.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I did the same thing, but i still have the clevis attachment.

Crainholio: How did you attach the cable to the throttle body? I know how the stock ones go, but I cant figure out how to attach it with out ghettoriggin.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The TB end went on without modification. Hard to describe, other than the barrel-end on the cable goes into the slot and the cable wraps around the tb arm in the little groove designed for it...just like the stock cable.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:50 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the stock throttle cable from an LS1 4th gen. Although the firewall hole isn't an exact match to the 4th gen cable, it pops into place and works just fine.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 10-01-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Crainholio: yea i know that the cable goes down the groove, but I cant see how to attach that barrel-end to the throttle body correctly. What I did was thread the cable through the little opening on the passenger side of the arm. Ghettorigged, but works if i need it to...just want to try to get it like it should be. If i can Ill get a pic tonight
Old 10-02-2004, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speartech
I use the stock throttle cable from an LS1 4th gen. Although the firewall hole isn't an exact match to the 4th gen cable, it pops into place and works just fine.

What he said...I had to bend the pedal arm some to get WOT, but it works well and looks stock.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Speartech
Thanks, I will go pick up one this week. As long as it doesn't pop out of the firewall hole, but I can modify it some if I have to. I still have to put exhaust on too. I'm wondering if I will have trouble with my o2 sensor readings. I was able to put 3 sensors on, but the one on the driver side off the exhaust manifold wouldn't fit.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crainholio
I used the Lokar LS1 universal cable, but it needed some modification.

First, I had to add a pair of large stainless-steel fender washers and rubber washers at the firewall...the Lokar cable is smaller than the 3rd gen cable hole.

Second, I cut the clevis attachment off the throttle pedal end of the Lokar cable and put a bullet end in it's place. This allowed it to seat in the little plastic cup exactly like the factory 3rd gen cable.
Thanks. I'm going to pick up the stock fourth gen cable and if that doesn't work than I'll use the universal one. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your help. josh

Quick Reply: throttle cable, 3rd gen