Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

started yesterday but not today

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default motor started yesterday but not today

well i was so stoked yesterday when my car actually fired up and ran, and i did it like 10 times yesterday, no problems. then yesterday we were just standin around the car when it was runnin and it just stopped. i didnt think nothin of it since my uncle touched something. so i go back this morning and i try to start it and it hickups and acts like it wants to start but nothing. at first i thought i wasnt getting spark but then i got some starter spray and sprayed it down the tb and it fired right up for about 3 secs. so i guess wha i am asking is what do i need to check for fuel foul ups?!? i have a speartech wiring harness just for the info. i know i am getting fuel up to the fuel rails because when i loosen the fittin fuel starts to come out. and another thing is when it was runnin yesterday and i would give it gas... it was like the car was hesitatin before it responded? so please any and all help is desperatly needed! thank you so much

daniel

Last edited by 68birdls1; 11-23-2004 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you done any custom tuning? Those hotcams suck with stock tuning, and that hesitation you describe when touching the throttle is usually tuning related. Another cause for that hesitation could be a vacuum leak, but you would also have an abnormally high idle rpm if that was the case.

Sounds like you have a fuel issue if it can start up with starter spray.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but did you by chance run it out of gas? They don't call me "Master of the Obvious" for nothing.

Andrew
Old 11-23-2004, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

lol no i poured a whole bunch in this morning! it should have atleast 1 gallon at the very least!

nineball: the computer i have was custom programmed for the hotcam. i bought it from someone else on this board. yesterday when it was runnin, it was fine no surgin or anything, just idled. the only thing i didnt like was how hesitant it was when i gave it gas!

so do you think i should first check my fuel pressure and then move to the injectors and so forth? i was so happy yesterday and when this happened today it just crushed me and how about my starter broke to! yea and a new one is $170
Old 11-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Start by looking for the grounds make sure the computer is grounded also the ground wire on the back of the engine on the drivers side head.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

oh yea, i already checked all of my grounds. but i am just now remembering that my ground to my vats came loose but now it isnt. and i was wondering if the vats saw that it wasnt working for a minute, would it now be messed up? and is there any way to reset the computer without loosing my hotcam specs? thanks alot guys
Old 11-24-2004, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

To reset the computer, just disconnect it from the battery for about 15 minutes.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

cool, well i got a scanner from a buddy and i am gonna scan it when i get home. if it says vats or something along those lines, can i just clear the code? thanks

daniel
Old 11-24-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
cool, well i got a scanner from a buddy and i am gonna scan it when i get home. if it says vats or something along those lines, can i just clear the code? thanks

daniel
yes there shouldnt be a problem, but it will probably come right back...do you have a vats simmulator?
Old 11-25-2004, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

yea i do have a vats bypass! but i think that my ground came loose while the motor was running and the bypass lost power and the computer thought that the car was being stolen, so it shut it off right then and there!?! dont know but it sounds like it coud happen lol. i will find out today
Old 11-25-2004, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

well i scanned my car earlier today and it cam up with p 452.. which is my emission crap that i took off. so i know thats not holdin it back. and then i tried startin the car and it just hickups and thats it. so i checked the power to the injectors and i am getting power even when i turn the key, so thats not it! my vats module is definatly hooked up. and still when i spray the starter spray down into the car it still fires for a second or two. so what else could it be. i am gonna go buy a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow and check my fuel pressure.
i have one question though... if my vats was keeping the car from starting, wouldnt it say it when i scanned the computer? please brothers lol i really need help!

daniel
Old 11-26-2004, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

all right, well i just checked my fuel pressure through the shrader valve, and as soon as i turn the key to on, it goes up to lie 5 psi and then drops! then when i turn the key, no fuel pressure at all?!? any idea what this means? and i do have power at the injectors, does this mean that my fuel pump might be bad?
Old 11-26-2004, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
all right, well i just checked my fuel pressure through the shrader valve, and as soon as i turn the key to on, it goes up to lie 5 psi and then drops! then when i turn the key, no fuel pressure at all?!? any idea what this means? and i do have power at the injectors, does this mean that my fuel pump might be bad?

check your power and grounds at the fuel pump and relay
Old 11-26-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ahowudoin
check your power and grounds at the fuel pump and relay

im guessing you dont hear the pump cycle after you turn the key on? check the fuses
Old 11-27-2004, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

no thats just why i am so confused, my pump does cycle after i turn the key! and all fuses are fine
Old 11-28-2004, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

i finally figured out what the problem was... damn msd fuel pump crapped out on me! so now as soon as i save up some money lol i will be gettin the walbro 255. yall wouldnt happen to know anybody that has one for sale would ya? lol let me know if ya do. thanks

daniel

ohh yea, i just want to say thanks to all the people who responded. i really do appreciate it! thank you so much!
Old 11-28-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would assume you used an inline pump. I just bought a GSL392 for the conversion we're doing on my son's 70 GMC pickup. I got it off Ebay, brand new for $140 shipped. New ERA also carries them for that price.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

yea if i cant find one off of hear then i am gonna go to ls1speed.com and get there walbro 255. but thanks for the idea
Old 12-09-2004, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

hey guys, i thought i would just get on real quick and let ya know how it turned out. well i knew my pump was dead so i ordered a walbro 255lph! hooked it up and i still got no pressure! so i was pretty pissed but i didnt mess with the car for a couple of days and i went back when i was calm. i started messin around with the fuel system and disconnected the hose at the end of the pump and gas was spurting out of there pretty nice. so then i bypassed my 99 vette filter and i got over 100 psi at the rails! didnt start it or anything just to make sure my pump was working. so after that i have come to the comclusion that my filter/regulator is bad. no one carries them in stock so i have to wait until tuesday or wednesday to get another one! but i am almost positive that that is the culprit! i will let yall know how it goes once i get the filter.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This may be a stupid question, but do you have the lines hooked up the right way with the 99 Vette filter? Right direction, right return line???

Quick Reply: started yesterday but not today