Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with new setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default problem with new setup

Okay i have fully ported and polished heads and a f1 cam here are the specs .591/.569 230/226 112 i had to run factory manifolds cause of the setup in my 93 truck. stock bottom end stock size valves. What size injectors should i run and what should i put the fuel pressure at? The reason i ask is we ran the truck today and it had no power turned the fuel pressure up and it has power until more than half throttle then it bogs and sputters. I have factory injectors but the fuel pressure is turned up. when the pressure was at 58 it ran shitty then we turned it up to like 70 and it ran good until more than half throttle and when it was floored it ran like a stock 305. so my problem is i have no power what is the deal. my sisters 305 camaro would kill it. thanks for any help also it revs up fine when in neutral. just when driving it has its problems I am really fed up with it thinking about going back to stock setup!!!

Last edited by flippincamaro; 11-30-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need a custom tuned PCM for that combination. Try Allen Nelson at NelsonPerformance.com. He will set you up. He did a great job on mine. Headers to fit your truck can be had from Street & Performance at hotrodlane.cc. Run 58 lbs of fuel pressure. Most important, get a custom tune. Allen gives free updates after the initial performance tune. Buy the 93 octane tune if you want it to run like a striped ape. Check out references from other owners of his tunes in www.ls1truck.com website.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

the guy i got the cam from did not have it tuned and it ran great. Is it my heads doing this to me? I dont want to spend more money on it like getting it tuned if that isnt going to fix my problem. So the stock injectors should be fine with this setup at 58 psi?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are running the stock tune with those heads and cam, I am surprised you can get the thing to run at all.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tune it. My TR224 (which is smaller in all dimensions to your cam) needed some tweaking on the tune to run well. Check out the PCM tuning forum... The fuel pressure should stay at 58 on these motors. Tuning can adjust flow rate if you decide to change injectors. Someone other than me can probably tell you if you're going to need bigger injectors. I'd hook a scanner up to it and check the duty cycle to make sure that they're not always on and being maxed out.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

see i did a conversion on my truck and dont have a ses light anymore or a way to check it i dont think? so it is the computer holding me back so much? i didnt think that would make such a diffrence considering people are running this cam without a custom tune. am i wrong?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without a working check engine light, you don't know if the PCM is running in limp-home mode or otherwise impaired. Hopefully you have a way to get an OBD-II scantool connected, this would give you a way to see how happy the PCM is and make any necessary fixes.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

stock injectors should be fine for that setup. Those stock manifolds are killing any effects from those heads and cam though.

Get some headers that fit, and some PCM tuning done.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

but it runs like **** no power at all.

Quick Reply: problem with new setup