Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which wire is for the temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004 | 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default which wire is for the temp gauge

which wire on the 2001 harness is for the water temp gauge? thanks kenny also what color or pin out
Old 12-01-2004 | 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

There isn't one...the temp gauge along w/ tach and speedo are fed serial data from the PCM.

I added a 1998 Camaro temp sender to the passenger side head...these have three pins instead of two like the '99+ units, the third pin (C, I believe) is for gauge service.

The sender and hood were ~$15 total at the local dealer, just one more wire to add to the harness.
Old 12-01-2004 | 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks
Old 12-01-2004 | 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just like the oil pressure, make sure that the sender matches the gauge. I added a second sender (in the passenger head like Crainholio) for my stock 1970 gauge but the sender doesn't exactly match so it reads high. (250* indicated is really 195*. I was a little nervous when I first ran the car, until I confirmed the temp was wrong with a scanner.)
Old 12-01-2004 | 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

got the oil pressure gauge to work will try the water temp one sunday night probably. I have after market gauges but want my factory gauges to at least look like they are working thanks you guys for alll the help couldnt have done the conversion with out yall
Old 12-02-2004 | 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

Probably a stupid question but is there ANY way to take advantage of the readinds made by the PCM and the serial data to make gauges work? Maybe its too much work but just curious. Would it require the body module from the same vehicle along with harness and gauges or what? I will be running a carPC when I get to that point and have thought about just putting a monitor in my dash and running something like Virtual Dashboard to display info. Just a thought... but thats a little ways down the road.

Later!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am)

Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!
My Webshots Gallery...
Old 12-02-2004 | 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

it is standard serial data.
if you can program PIC microcontrollers, it wouldnt be hard at all..... you would just need to know teh commands GM is using.
Old 12-04-2004 | 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
it is standard serial data.
if you can program PIC microcontrollers, it wouldnt be hard at all..... you would just need to know teh commands GM is using.
OK, this might be a crazy thought, but if it would require a PIC (peripheral interface controller) to translate the serial data from the PCM (pin 58, drk grn on my 2000 harness) into correct gauge readings, would that mean that there is a PIC in the donor car that does JUST that? Would it be part of the gauge cluster or in the body module or what? I mean, if it is there and reads this info from the PCM, and we know where to look, we should be able to transplant it from one vehicle to another, right? Anyone know where to start looking? I would like to have a set of stock gauges working in my truck when done even if they aren't completely accurate... of course, I'll get some good, trustworthy readings in th beginning to make sure all is ok, but then I would be ok with stock. Anyone have ideas where to start looking? TTYL!
Old 12-04-2004 | 10:54 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

It's all in the gauge cluster; the body module has nothing to do with it.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 12-04-2004 | 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Speartech
It's all in the gauge cluster; the body module has nothing to do with it.
John-
Thanks for the speedy reply... if I was to acquire a guage cluster from an LS1 car could they be made to work fairly easily with my conversion? I know the cluster isn't likely gonna fit into my dash, but the electronics could be made to work, right? Lemme know.

Later!

Randy
Old 12-04-2004 | 11:28 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Yes it will. Just kill the bulbs that don't apply to your swap and the rest of it will work fine. The only gauge that won't work right would be the gas gauge.

You could hookup the check engine light and oil pressure gauge, and let the serial data line do the rest.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 12-05-2004 | 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Speartech
Yes it will. Just kill the bulbs that don't apply to your swap and the rest of it will work fine. The only gauge that won't work right would be the gas gauge.

You could hookup the check engine light and oil pressure gauge, and let the serial data line do the rest.
I'm assuming the gas gauge could be made to work if I were to find a way to adapt a either an LS1 level sending unit or my sending unit to the PCM... I recall reading that my sending unit in my VX (with lots of GM parts in it) has a sending unit that reads 0-99 ohms... its been awhile since I read that though... I could be mistaken... does the PCM translate this to fuel level? Does the PCM transmit the fuel level to the cluster through serial data?

Next off, do you think it would be possible to find and gut the actual PIC and use it with other gauges... of course, guessing that the LS1 gauges are basically the same as the electronic gauges in my VX... Just REALLY curious. Of course, I can always go to plan B... just gut my gauges, install a monitor in my cluster and run Virtual Dashboard for my general readings. Just a thought.

TTYL!

Coach!

Quick Reply: which wire is for the temp gauge