Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Gen Fuel Tank Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen Fuel Tank Questions

Getting ready to go get the parts set up for the LS1 swap. I have talked to a few companies about getting a new tank made, but they want near 1K for a new tank with the pump and everything. BRP Hotrods makes a kit that screws up to the tank with AN fittings, and goes through the stock corvette 45PSI regulator, and then you put an aeromotive inline pump. Those parts will be roughly 500 bucks, big savings. What have you all done for the tank end of your swap.

John
Old 12-22-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

I had bad luck with a Aeromotive pump. Only lasted about 1000 miles before it ate itself. I ended up going with a Bosch 420 pump. Just a heads up, dont want to see anybody buy junk.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still trying to get my 79Z running (a TBI retrofit that's been over 2 years and counting so far). For now, I'm just running the stock pickup, an MSD fuel pump mounted low on the driver's side frame rail, -6AN braided lines for both supply and return, and I put a 3/8" tube in to the stock sending unit in place of the small 1/4" tube for return. I have had problems with too much pressure at the throttle body (70 psi is no good for a ~17 psi system). I know that this won't work well with the tank less than 1/4 full, but I just want to get the stupid thing running. It was only supposed to take a few months...

Keep in mind that with the LS1, you want 60 psi of fuel pressure, not 45.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:07 PM
Staging Lane

I also have a 79 Camaro that I’m putting a ls1 in. I’m just using the sock tank with a 1/2-inch fuel sump that go's to a -10, in to aero motive fuel filter to an a1000. I’m running -10 to the aero motive Y block; from the Y block I have -8 to a set of VERY nice fast fuel rails. After the fuel rails it has -8 to a aero motive fuel regulator and from the regulator back to the tank I’m using -8. It looks really good and it should be more than enough for heads cam and a little juice. So hope it helps so far I have about seven hundred in the fuel system but if your going to retro it you might as well do it right .
Old 01-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Restricted User

Default used 2nd gen tank & 99 pump

I put 99 cam. pump with sending unit into stock tank.
had to weld adt. brk. to top of tank.I also used the 99
lines & filter. I had whole wrecked car.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Fuel Tank Questions