Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

hi , im new as you can tell. im not sure if im asking in the right place but here goes. i am the owner of a 1984 SS monte carlo and also a owner of an LS1 out of a 1998 or 96 SS camaro now the camaro was cook after it it a light pole and i own the LS1 i need to find out were i can find the wiring setup and computer and or a blue print of the wiring setup i have been to the dealer but as you can wounder they want some big $$$$ for this if i have to i will spend it but like most would perfur to find it cheaper, i would really like the help if some one or some bodys could help me, keep in mind like profile says im a dad of three already at the age of 25 so money can be a pain at times but its pretty good out side of that so if any one has any web sites or info that would help me find my way the easiest it would be great. and by the way i am and always will be GM ( CHEVY MAN) all the way , sorry to thos whom like fords not thing to you !

P.S. ANY IDEAS FOR A TRANNY AND OTHER GOOD IDEA WOULD NOT HURT EITHER THANKS AGAIN
Old 01-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First , is it a '98 or '96? The '96 is an LT1 car not an LS1 and there are some guys on here that have done the swap into your type of car. An auto trans is gonna be cheaper than a six speed swap, but you're gonna fork out some serious cash to do this swap. Be prepared to spend 3 to 5k on this.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome aboard! Check out my website...it'll keep yuo busy for days just reading all about the LS1 swap! Click here http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/
Old 01-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just found the right man to help with your swap!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Teching In

thank you badjuju342 and i have found out it is a 98 so it is an ls1 ,an john b thank you for your help your web site will help me alote. i can get a 6 speed out of a 2000 vet, will this bolt up to my ls1 even know it is a lil newer ? with that i have built up two 1/2 chevys with big block 454's and a ferrio ( i beleave i spelled that right) with a 350ho in the front with a 9" rear end just a few lil things ii have done just to let yea know i have a clue any ways on what i want at the end but thanks again guys for the help
Old 01-04-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C5 Vette transmissions are transaxles, so it wouldn't be an easy swap. The simpler route would be to find an F-body T56 complete w/ bellhousing, hydraulics, and hardware.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Teching In

ok, well my brother is junkin his 88 IrocZ witch has everything , that would be a smart and easier way to go? do any of you think that my stock poisy will do i really DO NOTwant to put any ford parts in my ride at all (knowing most people put the 9" in ) i perfer not to use ford. is there onther rear end i could use if my stock out wont hold up? i am looking at 18 to 24 months on this am i right for time frame to do this convert????
Old 01-06-2005, 01:13 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A swap from an 88 iroc would definently be easier on you wallet. The 88 should have a Tuned Port Injection (TPI) engine,although it might have still been possible to get throttle body injection in that year? it will not make as much power as an LS1 but will bolt to your engine mounts without adapters, and you can use the accessory mounts without modification. Your original rear axle/ posie should be able to handle the power as long as its in ok shape. The camaro`s and firebirds used the same 7.5" posie as you car although at some point(not sure what year) they were upgraded to a 7.625" axle which is only slightly stronger. The only stronger factory axle that will bolt into a G body is the 78-87 Grand National/ regal T-Type/ 8.5" rear axle which can also be found in some olds cutlass 442`s with the 307 engine but these are expensive usually around $850. Here`s some links to TPI swaps http://chevythunder.com/ and http://www.darklair.com/monte/howto/howto.TPI_swap.html
Old 01-06-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmanjr
ok, well my brother is junkin his 88 IrocZ witch has everything , that would be a smart and easier way to go?
The F-body and G-body are probably about the same degree of difficulty, same problems to solve and excellent web resources dedicated to the project.

The Corvette T56 transaxle will be about the same pain level to put in either one, I'd stick with an F-body T56.

It took me 2 months of weekend/evening wrenching to do the swap. Lots of time prior to that prepping, researching, and accumulating parts.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Teching In

i beleave that is what is in his Iroc Z if thats the ccase then i ahve what i can work with thank you for your time

Last edited by snowmanjr; 01-06-2005 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: need some help