Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy diff/tranny driveshaft alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Easy diff/tranny driveshaft alignment?

Hello. I need to align my T56 transmission to the diff in my RX7. I've read that the driveshaft needs to be straight to within a few degrees of zero. Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?
I think using a level would take care of alignment up/down, but how can I insure it is aligned left/right?

Thanks
Ben
Old 01-16-2005, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Here's one of many sites that address pinion angle/driveshaft alignment and setup.
http://www.iedls.com/ptsetup.html
I meaure the angle of the trans output shaft and then set the pinion angle to match...this is a good rule of thumb in most applications.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alignment

I'm putting an LS1/ T56 in my '89. The diff in a manual FC is offset 3/4 " toward the passenger side. Just so happens that for the oil pan to clear the steering rack mount the engine has to sit 3/4 " off to the passenger side. I mounted the transmission so that the output shaft is about 1/4 inch higher than the diff flang. You need at least a small offset to keep the u joint bearings lubricated. I think there were some threads on this topic at WWW.V8rx7.com

Last edited by RFERG43; 01-17-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

the pinion shaft has to be parallel to the trans output shaft. Yes a few degrees helps the ujoints last longer but when you get to like 5 or 7 degrees then it's not good. As the ujoint moves away from a zero angle, the driveshaft starts to speed up and slow down twice per revolution. The ujoint on the diff should have the same angle to cancel this. Also the ujoints must be in phase. A lighter driveshaft also helps when the angles get excessive.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ended up have to do very little positioning. In 99% of the cases when people use the Hinson kit, they should have to do no positioning. I had to do some slight positioning because my passenger floorboard was a mess. I ended up relying on the fully intact driver's side frame rail (which is what one side of the tranny mount bolts to) to dictate the positioning.

Thanks again
Ben

Quick Reply: Easy diff/tranny driveshaft alignment?