Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/700R4 in 3rd gen(PCM signal ???)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1/700R4 in 3rd gen(PCM signal ???)

I have a great 700R4 and and will be bolting it to an LS1.(This is a direct swap minus a bolt and a new flexplate correct??) My transmission is fully mechanical, but I have an adapter that bolts to the tranny(where the cable was) and sends 2000 or 4000ppm(can't remember which) to the electric autometer speedo and SD setup currently in the car.

With the LS1 computer, how can I make sure it is getting the correct signal to make it lock and unlock my torque converter? Also how are yall doing the kickdown cable?

I am not worried about shift points.

Thank You

Chris
Old 01-25-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cable on a 700r4 is a throttle valve cable that the trans relys on for throttle position input. It has to be properly set up and adjusted or you are not going to be happy with the shift timing. It does provide "kickdown" as full TV is reached with alot of throttle. Some shift kits and trick valve bodies depend less on TV input but get closer to a manual valve body type operation. You might have to build or modify an OEM bracket to secure the cable to.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
The cable on a 700r4 is a throttle valve cable that the trans relys on for throttle position input. It has to be properly set up and adjusted or you are not going to be happy with the shift timing. It does provide "kickdown" as full TV is reached with alot of throttle. Some shift kits and trick valve bodies depend less on TV input but get closer to a manual valve body type operation. You might have to build or modify an OEM bracket to secure the cable to.

Thanks that is defeintally a priority, but something I can do. My main concern is the vehicle speed input to the computer so it will lock and unlock my converter.

Thank You

Chris
Old 01-25-2005, 03:36 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all you can do is try to supply a speed signal from the trans so that the PCM can tell when you're in motion vs. sitting still. I don't think you'll get the LS1 PCM to lock and unlock a 700R4 torque converter. You'll probably have to do that with one of the aftermarket kits that are used when 700R4's are used with old carbed engines.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 01-25-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Humm.....I thought there would have to be a way. Oh well...Thanks for the help.
That should not affect the tuning aspect of the PCM as far as air/fuel and timing correct. This will be a stroker LS1. I love your 91 BTW!!!!!

Thanks

Chris
Old 01-25-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just dig into an older 1983-84 GM truck manual, all the lockup chores were handled by a fourth gear pressure switch that would allow lockup anytime fourth gear got oil pressure, any load-required unlock was taken care of by a manifold vac. switch mounted on the firewall that opened the circuit whenever the intake vac. dropped too low. I've seen people wire in a toggle switch on those old 700's so that they could keep the converter from locking up all the time in slow traffic. You just have to make SURE that it will stay locked up at freeway speeds or the fluid temp will climb and you'll kill the trans with excessive heat.

Quick Reply: LS1/700R4 in 3rd gen(PCM signal ???)