TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nspr8td lt1
i call BS on the girls

whats up ryan?

we'll see
Old 02-22-2005, 11:43 AM

you dont have to cut anything. On the hardtop cars the bars bolt in where the t-top would lock in and the plastic top is just glued on. Most of everything is there..it's simple really and the extra parts are easy to come by.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:57 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
OH GOD!! do not do that. the hard top cars are pretty rare... everyone has T-top but hard tops are hard to come by.

dont do it!

Tyler

I know it's your car and not mine, but it kills me to see someone making another T-top car out of a hardtop. THEY MADE TOO DAMN MANY OF THEM THAT WAY FROM THE FACTORY!

Can't tell you how many cars I've seen for sale that sparked my interest... until I saw they had T-tops.

Heavier, flex more, weaker. Maybe because I'm a lot more "drag racer" than "pimping cruiser"... but I really don't like T-tops.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to be that a lot of people with T-tops wish they had a hardtop because of the issues that arrive from daily driving, and those with a hardtop (myself included) want to be able to "take 'er top off" sometimes. It's a give-and-take situation. A few years back I was interested in this, but lack of tools and experience kept me from doing it. A sawzall and cutoff wheel will do most of the work for you. First, you get to cut the large black covering from the top of the car. Once you remove the hardtop headliner inside the car, you'll then be able to see straight up and out. Next, you'll have to cut the side supports (where the top of your windows touch). this is where most of the unibody weakening happens, so I would highly suggest getting nice subframe connectors to take on some of the added stress. After this is all done, you can do some fiberglass touchups on the corners of the t-tops, to "make" the water runners. You need to find a pictorial that shows this (I know there's 2 sites out there specifically for the fbody t-top conversion, but it's been 2 or 3 years since I've looked at 'em). Now you can install your t-top headliner, and the t-top middle roof piece that sits between the t-tops on the outside of the car. After this is all done, paint what needs to be painted, install the t-top weatherstripping for the door/ttops. You will also need the t-top A-pillars. That should be about all you need. Of course reading all of this is much easier than doing it, but once you cut, there's no going back. Good luck, and post pictures if you attempt it!

Matt
Old 02-22-2005, 04:29 PM

Yet again...there is nothing to cut on the sides. The pieces on the sides simply unbolt. The plastic top is the only part that has to be cut/wired off.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:27 PM
7 Second Club

save your self some heart ache and just trade it in for a T top... cause several years down the road your gonna wish you never molested a true hard top.

tyler
Old 02-22-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
Yet again...there is nothing to cut on the sides. The pieces on the sides simply unbolt. The plastic top is the only part that has to be cut/wired off.
Do you have pictures? From the sites I viewed heavily a few years ago, they ALL had to cut the supports above the windows.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wish i had a hardtop. i just dont use the t-tops enough(maybe twice a year) to justify the sacrafice in performance.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He's cutting the side support in that picture, and every other person who did the converion cut them as well.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Quote: with WstSidHomE said: Seems to be that a lot of people with T-tops wish they had a hardtop because of the issues that arrive from daily driving, and those with a hardtop (myself included) want to be able to "take 'er top off" sometimes. It's a give-and-take situation. That statement there is such true..Once again I can say if I get tired of them here comes the targa top..Oh I will get also get some good SFC..
Old 02-23-2005, 09:12 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
save your self some heart ache and just trade it in for a T top... cause several years down the road your gonna wish you never molested a true hard top.

tyler

There are so many T-tops cars for sale.

Don't desecrate your hardtop.

I'll help you sell it so you can get a T-topper, send me a description.

Quick Reply: Needed HELP hardtop to t-top conversion