Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best spot on engine to check for angle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best spot on engine to check for angle?

I'm putting an LS1/M6 in my '56 Nomad which has a custom front frame clip to accept C4 Corvette suspension. I have built the engine mounts and am now fitting the engine/trans.

What is the best place to check the angle for the 4.5 degrees that I need? I started by setting my angle finder on the machined surface where the shifter bolts to the trans. When I check it on the top ridge of the valve cover, the two measurements are off by a few degrees. I also notice when setting the angle finder on the upper edge of the valve cover that the angle is different depending on whether you check it towards the front of the engine or towards the rear. When I have the shifter pa at 4.5 degrees, the valve cover reads about 8 degrees, and the oil pan reads about 1 degree.

So which is the best place to check this?
Old 02-28-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front surface of the passenger head.

(why do you need 4.5 degrees?)
Old 02-28-2005, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Measure the height at the middle of the crank pulley bolt and at the center of the output shaft on the trans. Subtract the two measurements. Given the angle you are looking for is 4.5 degrees, the sin of 4.5 is 0.0785, the length of an LS1 with an A4 trans mounted is 57 inches. Multiply (0.0785 x 57) and you get just less than 4.5 inches. If the difference in the height of the crank pulley over the height of the trans output shaft is at or less than 4.5 inches then you are within your 4.5 degree target.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:58 AM
TECH Regular

You should be looking for 4 degrees max at the output spline of your trans. put the angle finder their on trans casting next to the spline shaft. best is th tighten up all mounts for the final measurement but for a rugh in measurement, this is the best way. Dont use 4.5 degreees you will have vibrations and were out your u joints sooner. you should target 3 degrees. good luck
Old 03-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

72Chevelle, why do you say that I should keep the angle at no more than 3 degrees? The stock 56 setting was 4 degrees, (the old carbed small blocks had the carburetor pad machined 4 degrees forward, so that the carb would sit level when the engine was tilted back the correct amount) and the rear was tilted 4 degrees upwards. Since I am also installing a C4 rearend, as long as both the rear and the engine/trans are at the same angle so that the driveshaft is parallel, anything from about 3-5 degrees should work, I think.

Paul

www.picturetrail.com/t0neking
Old 03-01-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The maximum working angle of the u-joint should be about 3 1/2 degrees, theoretically the same angle at both joints is correct but a 1/4 degree difference will allow the roller bearings to rotate and not just sit there and brinell the u-joint cups. I have mine set at 2 1/2 degrees and 2 1/4 degrees and get ZERO vibration and a very smooth driveline. I think 5 degrees is a bit excessive.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
The maximum working angle of the u-joint should be about 3 1/2 degrees, theoretically the same angle at both joints is correct but a 1/4 degree difference will allow the roller bearings to rotate and not just sit there and brinell the u-joint cups. I have mine set at 2 1/2 degrees and 2 1/4 degrees and get ZERO vibration and a very smooth driveline. I think 5 degrees is a bit excessive.

good info guys!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Oscar Will
Thanks Oscar. I have the rear in the car, but haven't welded in the crossmem ber for the front yet, so I can set the angle to whatever I want. I'll make sure to keep both to less than 3 degrees or so.

Paul

www.picturetrail.com/t0neking
Old 03-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Teching In

I meant to say I haven't welded in the crossmember that I am using to "snub" the front part of the differential center section yet. This is how I am setting the pinion angle for the C4 rear.

Paul

www.picturetrail.com/toneking
Old 03-01-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Paul its up to you. I said target 3 degrees. have you looked on any other sites for setting up your pinyon angle, or the trans? angles of the drive shaft is very important. glad to hear you are lisining to Oscar Will. I think he is on the money with his post. sounds like you are setting things up for going fast. better have the correct angle or you will be sorry.... here is one for you to check out.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0203sr_driving/
Old 03-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 72ChevelleConv.LS1
Hey Paul its up to you. I said target 3 degrees. have you looked on any other sites for setting up your pinyon angle, or the trans? angles of the drive shaft is very important. glad to hear you are lisining to Oscar Will. I think he is on the money with his post. sounds like you are setting things up for going fast. better have the correct angle or you will be sorry.... here is one for you to check out.

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0203sr_driving/
Thanks for the link! Very informative. I aim to do this once and getting it right. My goal is to have a Nomad that handles like a Corvette (with a somewhat higher center of gravity ov course) and this suspension and the LS1 should get the job done.

Paul

www.picturetraill.com/t0neking
Old 03-02-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Paul, check out Street and Performance they have a site with a lot of conversions I think they have a tri 5 stuff their too.

Quick Reply: Best spot on engine to check for angle?