Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got myself an LS1!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got myself an LS1!!!

Alright just got myself a 2001 ls1 for my 91 camaro and i'm just wondering what i should replace on it since i have it out on the stand. It has 33k on it and so far i'm planning on replacing the rod bolts with Katech, ls2 chain, and new plugs and wires. Just wondering if there anything else i should do and what gaskets should i replace.

Thanks
Justin
Old 03-10-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oil pump (just because) and cam (why not)

(I think that just about everybody who swaps in an LS1 wishes at some point that they had changed the cam while they had the chance to do it easily.)
Old 03-10-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

i would love to do the cam but not sure if i'll have enough cash to do it. I would like to get some bolt on's first. I was thinking about getting a ported oil pump that or just porting my own since i already have the ls6 pump.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

I think scooter has got the right idea. I'm gonna be lookin for a LS1 in about 2-3 months I'm gettin the rest of the truck ready suspension,brakes etc. first. But when I get my LS1 I'm gonna do the whole thing heads, intake, cam, rod bolts, head bolts, throttle body etc. It'll take me longer to get it in and cost more but once I put it in thats it I'm done. I'll get the tranny squared away too before I put it in. I'm not even planning on having it in the truck till about the end of the year it'll suck seeing it on the stand but when I'm done I'm done.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

If i could do that i would, but i'm only 20 and this is my DD. Between hockey, school and everything else i dont have all the time and money in the world. I've got about 2-3 months to get this done(april-july) and i got about 75% of the parts squared away.

I've already got my suspension done(last summer), i'm planning on doing the bolt on's and calling it a day for the summer. I would like to get a rear-end before i do a cam just becuase mine has 140k on it and it is only a 10 bolt.

Thanks for the input guys keep them coming.

P.S. - what gaskets should i replace, and are the head bolts worth the money right now at the stage i'm at.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd just leave the heads alone if you're not going to do any internal mods to the motor. Most of the gaskets are reusable so don't worry about them. Don't worry about the head bolts at this point. (ARP head bolts aren't cheap.)

Who do you play hockey for? Juniors?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Id check the rods for round after you install the new rod bolts.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

I was told by katech that i dont need to do that with there bolts just the arp ones. Thanks a lot for the input guys.

Yea i play junior A here in toledo, Oh, in the North American Hockey League. Before that i played midget major for little ceasars up detroit. I see your from farmington hills might have to hook up sometime(stay with my old coach a lot in Saint clair shores).

Last edited by 5.0Camaro`; 03-10-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely do the oil pump. What tranny are you using? If it's a T56 , swap the clutch out , too.The cam swap is not too bad and can be done in a day with the engine in the car.But if you swap the oil pump, the cam is right there. Save your bucks and go for the gold IMO.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Yea i'm using a T56, ordered a ram clutch, billet flywheel, adjustable master, and slave last week so i'm good there. All i really have left is to send my harness into speartech, and get a tubular k-member and arms.
Then of course some of the little things but that should do it for big things.

Thanks
Justin
Old 03-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the Spohn rear crossmember for the tranny? It 's not a straight bolt in without it.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 5.0Camaro`
I was told by katech that i dont need to do that with there bolts just the arp ones. Thanks a lot for the input guys.

Yea i play junior A here in toledo, Oh, in the North American Hockey League. Before that i played midget major for little ceasars up detroit. I see your from farmington hills might have to hook up sometime(stay with my old coach a lot in Saint clair shores).
I personally wouldn't jsut stick bolts in, they are going to have different clamping pressures. I'd rather check them and be sure rather than have a bearing crap out after 1000 miles.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lesrace82
I personally wouldn't jsut stick bolts in, they are going to have different clamping pressures. I'd rather check them and be sure rather than have a bearing crap out after 1000 miles.
Alright, i'll have to look into this a little more thanks.

P.S. - I do know that i need a new x-member for the t56 thanks.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you still have those old plug wires? I could use just 2 of em. My engine came missing 2.

Can e-mail me at kuehnmattAThotmailDOTCOM
-Matt
Old 03-12-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
Do you still have those old plug wires? I could use just 2 of em. My engine came missing 2.

Can e-mail me at kuehnmattAThotmailDOTCOM
-Matt
I would be happy to give them to you but the engine is being sent as we speak to california, i can give them to you after i get it.

Justin
Old 03-12-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.0Camaro`
I would be happy to give them to you but the engine is being sent as we speak to california, i can give them to you after i get it.

Justin
Justin, Thanks a lot! I'll send you an e-mail and if you could just reply so I would have your e-mail address that would be great!

-Matt