Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally....IT'S ALIVE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
Is it just me or does it seem like theres always a backround issue that needs to be solved. It looks like theres not much to do left but then you look at the overall picture and realize that you have so many more problems that need to be solved. I get a new problem everyday.
LOL, aint that the truth. Here is a script from any swap project. These are the issues that need to be resolved to get the thing running <--- makes list. Car now running ok these are the issues that must be resolved to make it driveable <--- make list about double what the first one was.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i love these cars and for the price you cant beat them.

And i hear ya on the issues arriving, I think kossuth sumed it up best, it seems that the more that gets done, the more you find that it needs.

Oh and thanks for the hair comment, keenov LOL!

Keep up all the work guys, I would say they do get finished, but im sure yall are all like me and they are never truly finished.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice man, that thing has to be a blast to drive.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice job
Does the engine pretty much bolt in without having any clearance issues?

My next car will have an LS1/LS6. I've been looking at 70-73's, but I used to have an 89 and I loved it.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Well the motor mounts on the LS1 are quite different, you can make your own if you have any welding/fabrication skills, but i just ordered a set of conversion mounts. There are clearance issues with the A/C if you plan on keeping it, but there are a bunch of different options out there for us with thrid gens. Just start doing some searching and you can find loads of info.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Great job. What did you use to mount the PCM?
Old 03-26-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
Well the motor mounts on the LS1 are quite different, you can make your own if you have any welding/fabrication skills, but i just ordered a set of conversion mounts. There are clearance issues with the A/C if you plan on keeping it, but there are a bunch of different options out there for us with thrid gens. Just start doing some searching and you can find loads of info.
Cool thanks man. I'm not really interested in AC. Hell I never even use it in my 98. Really I was just wondering about the firewall clearance.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

LS69TA, i used the 2002 camaro pcm bracket and just put two bolts through the fenderwell to hold it down, since it is plastic it bends alittle and it seems to be holding great.

RUSSH, yeah i have no interest in A/C either, if you are just talking about engine to firewall clearance there is plenty of room. i even put in the top transmission bellhousing bolts from the top instead of from underneath, if you are talking about clearance to the a/c/heater box, i heard there is a small problem, but it can be trimmed, i fixed that all together and removed the whole box.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool. I guess that convinced me to use my pcm bracket on the fenderwell too. My harness isn't long enough to mount it anywhere else w/o lengthening every wire.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Nicely done. I have the same tach mounted in the same exact place. How did you get the factory tach working? Autometer module? I am a chevy tech as well and using a warranty engine wiring harness from a c30 LQ4 truck. It does make it easier when you have SI2000 readily available at you fingertips.
What did you use for A/C lines?
Old 03-26-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 84z28ls1
Nicely done. I have the same tach mounted in the same exact place. How did you get the factory tach working? Autometer module? I am a chevy tech as well and using a warranty engine wiring harness from a c30 LQ4 truck. It does make it easier when you have SI2000 readily available at you fingertips.
What did you use for A/C lines?
Not using factory tach, but you can buy several different modules to convert from 8cyl(factory tach) to 4cyl(LS1 reference). Are the fuel injectors plugging in with the LS1 injectors and the LQ4 harness??? Yes i have used SI throughout the entire project. I am not running A/C, didnt use it when i had it so i figured i would cut down on the complexity and leave it out.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

RUSSH, yeah i have no interest in A/C either, if you are just talking about engine to firewall clearance there is plenty of room. i even put in the top transmission bellhousing bolts from the top instead of from underneath, if you are talking about clearance to the a/c/heater box, i heard there is a small problem, but it can be trimmed, i fixed that all together and removed the whole box.
Thanks...I'm gonna do some more research, but a third gen conversion is looking better and better.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Lynda, spoke with down at the thunder - race young skinny guy from up Fireballs way.

Anyway possibly you coudl help me sift thru a few things with my swap, shouldnt be AS hard, 97 LT1 6 speed car, want to put 2001-up pcm in car for the VE tables, and retain all working factory gauges. if your up for a bit of Q&A, let me know.

So far I think easiest to keep factory tank, lines, run return styl Vette rail/regulator so the facotry fuel level gauge should work, I think using a 3 wire coolant temp sensor to feed gauge, in addition to the 01 style one to feed PCM would do that trick, next is oil pressure sending unit and how to interface LS1 engine harness to 97 body harness/obd port etc
Old 03-28-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

GrannySShifting, i will send you an email.

Clint
Old 03-28-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the swap! I just had my '82 out this weekend and fell in love all over again. The LS1 is what God intended thirdgens to have, no doubt about it.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Keenov
Nice hair

Nice car
LOL!! Glad I wasn't the only person that noticed that.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Crainholio, you are right about that, ever since my 99 ss and then my wifes 01z i had fallen in love with the LS1 and knew i had to put one in my third gen. They are great engines.

Lane, Thanks for bringing that back up, LOL, i am now going to go shave my head...no really i am, it is getting too hot to work outside with this much hair.

Clint
Old 03-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Launching!

I've been driving mine more lately also, cant beat spring time weather and a thirdgen with a LS1 in it.

LS1 + 3500stall + Spohn LCA's = No tread left on the BFG DR's.

Now if this dosent help some of these guys to get moving on their projects, then I dont know what will.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Not using factory tach, but you can buy several different modules to convert from 8cyl(factory tach) to 4cyl(LS1 reference). Are the fuel injectors plugging in with the LS1 injectors and the LQ4 harness??? Yes i have used SI throughout the entire project. I am not running A/C, didnt use it when i had it so i figured i would cut down on the complexity and leave it out.
No the LQ4 injectors have a new style delphi pin type connector. I have the old style blade type connectors that I will splice on. What did you use to disable VTD? Did you use an in tank fuel pump or in line?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats Clint! You sure didn't waste any time getting that car running. What is next for it?

Quick Reply: Finally....IT'S ALIVE!!!