Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

edelbrock ls1 carb kit question ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005 | 08:40 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Default edelbrock ls1 carb kit question ???

on hold 3 different times today with edelbrock, only to be disconnected everytime after 30 minute wait!
everyone ive talked to says edelbrock tech support is impossible to get in touch with.
jegs didnt know. same with summit and even the guy at MSD that designed the box "didnt know" cause he hadnt messed with it in a while. which we all know is BS.

the edelbrock box has a tach output, is it the conventional V8 signal or is it still the 4cly LS1 style signal?
i dont see anywhere noted that this box has a revlimiter, how ghey is that?
i might just look into efi, i dunno.
Old 03-28-2005 | 10:26 PM
Launching!

I haven't heard about the tach signal but they(edelbrock) claim it works well in non-ls1 vehicles so it's probably a conventional signal. I've read in two different sources that the edelbrock MSD box has either 3 timing pills or 6. I wonder which it is? The box that MSD sells seperate looks better but there still isn't much info on this either.

Has anyone on here used this setup?
Old 03-28-2005 | 10:57 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zedzag
I haven't heard about the tach signal but they(edelbrock) claim it works well in non-ls1 vehicles so it's probably a conventional signal. I've read in two different sources that the edelbrock MSD box has either 3 timing pills or 6. I wonder which it is? The box that MSD sells seperate looks better but there still isn't much info on this either.

Has anyone on here used this setup?
the msd box will be the most advanced setup out, and its only gonna run around 300 bucks. timing retards, boost features, etc. i talked to them today, was supposed to be out in january, pushed back to may... now the end of the year.
suckage.
Old 03-28-2005 | 11:02 PM
Launching!

By the time they release the damn parts I'll have enough to convert to EFI
Old 03-29-2005 | 09:51 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

By the time they release the damn parts I'll have enough to convert to EFI
yup, what you said x10....
i think im gonna get the kit to get me by. im about to toss a cam in this 6.0 and then its gonna go in the car. it wont cam sitting on the stand.
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:36 PM
Launching!

I'm rebuilding my 6.0 with a cam and more compression so I need the carb for break-in since I don't know how to computer tune(yet) and also because I'm on a budget.

What cam are you going with. I'm going to try a 228/232 .600/.600 . I just don't know if the timing pills will work with thids cam...what cams are the pills designed for?
Old 03-30-2005 | 12:05 AM
Teching In

you get 6 chips if you are all out racing the chips really dont matter. no there is no rev limiter however there is a serial port and i do belive that msd can program it. The tach lead is conventional
Old 03-30-2005 | 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

i thought bout running this but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Might go to it later when I know more and lots of people have done it and found the flaws
Old 03-30-2005 | 05:13 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

I'm rebuilding my 6.0 with a cam and more compression so I need the carb for break-in since I don't know how to computer tune(yet) and also because I'm on a budget.

What cam are you going with. I'm going to try a 228/232 .600/.600 . I just don't know if the timing pills will work with thids cam...what cams are the pills designed for?
pretty close to my cam, tho i have more duration for my automatic big converter car. should go down the track nice.

as for the edeljunk box, it sucks they dont have a rev limiter on it, but being an A3 car i shouldnt have too much trouble, ill just have to be careful on the bottle.

timing pills? i havent a clue. #6 pill reads "z06 cam or larger, high overlap, light car, tall gear, converter reccommended" i think.
im going to play with some msd timing pills on the dyno and see if they are compatible with the box.
it will be a few weeks, maybe ill post up with some good #'s
Old 03-30-2005 | 06:00 PM
Launching!

TJ - i'd like to hear the outcome of that dyno. Please post some results.
Old 03-30-2005 | 06:31 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

TJ - i'd like to hear the outcome of that dyno. Please post some results.
ill do my best. im a lil slow, so that 2 weeks will prolly turn into a month.
Old 03-30-2005 | 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

For what its worth... When i was looking into the carb route, the edelbrock set up had a cam that was supposed to be matched to the set up that spec'd at 230 237 with 540 ish lift on a 112 or 110 LSA. So i would assume you cam would work with it.
Old 03-31-2005 | 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Why do you need a carb for break-in? Its not like you have to break in a roller cam at 2000 rpm like you do for flat tappet motors.
Old 03-31-2005 | 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 81LS1Camaro
Why do you need a carb for break-in? Its not like you have to break in a roller cam at 2000 rpm like you do for flat tappet motors.
It's not for cam break-in it's for the rings. I don't want to wash them out by being overly rich as I don't know how to tune. I am also short some other parts for the EFI conversion like PCM, wiring harness, fuel system, etc so this will be a cheaper alternative for my drag car.
Old 03-31-2005 | 06:48 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

It's not for cam break-in it's for the rings. I don't want to wash them out by being overly rich as I don't know how to tune. I am also short some other parts for the EFI conversion like PCM, wiring harness, fuel system, etc so this will be a cheaper alternative for my drag car.
i have a 04 model 4.8 A4 complete engine harness.
should work with the majority of the LS series motor. LMK if you are interested.

Quick Reply: edelbrock ls1 carb kit question ???